1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Noodles and Bangles

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by annujp82, Apr 20, 2015.

1. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

thank you gal :) i am so glad you enjoyed your trip with me down the memory lane :)

2. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

I would not have known about the FP post by Pari if i hadnt seen this message. Thank you soooo much Kamla for this!!! My savithri ammai was such a strong woman, who was balanced by my quiet, calm thatha. I miss them so much. These posts get me a little closer to them.
    I do remember tasting maggi noodles for the first time, probably because it was so different from what i had been fed till then :)
    I remember my bangles celebrating on my wrist as i was signing the marriage registration form :) such a happy memory!

1 person likes this.
  3. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you sir :) i wish you a lot of happy granddaughters :) Bangles are my absolute favorite accessories. The sound makes me so happy!! I love the old fashioned glass bangles with gold flecks on it. None of the new fangled, metal bangles for me :)
    Thank you so much for your kind words about my post! I am so glad you enjoyed it!!

4. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@annujp82

I am so glad and happy I read your post... your writing style is awesome, and i really really loved this post noodles and bangles.. It brought to me various memories, memories of me as a kid, going to school, smell of maggi noodles, how we felt happy if amma had that for evening tiffin, bangles, running around the house and amma scolding, and feel so excited, and trip and fall down in the little steps..

It makes me even think of my little daughter who feels very happy to wear bangles, and showing them to all my neighbours, and swirling her pattu pavadai during festival days..

This post truly made me feel all the happiness, the traditions, that feel of going to grandma's house for holidays.. thank you for the awesome writing.. Keep writing more. Now, I am searching for your previous posts to enjoy them..

And wish you a very happy married life .. :gift

1 person likes this.
  5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @aanujp82 ,

Noodles and Bangles!

Your post took me to my days of childhood and the sweet memories of my two sons growing up.

The bangle seller used to have a special box. Thin and square, unlike the trunks we had in those days. Invited, he sets up his box, on the Thinnai, asks for a glass of water, gets and slowly opens it and lo,,, rows and rows of bangles in all colours in that box.Bangles on the stuffed paper cylinder! A whole lot of girls, some having money to buy and some having no money, could just watch a neighbor buy and enjoy the excitement! Every bangle was tested by him for crack in an expert twist. He gently holds the little hands and decorates them with great care. Of course, none goes disappointed despite hard bargain!!

And many many years later, in Delhi, waiting for the two little boys school bus, bringing them home and in two minutes... their faces brighten up with 'Maggie Noodles'. The only food I need not beg them to eat!!

A beautiful post with fragrance.. loved it.

2 people like this.
  6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A2 - excellent - you scored on the content and the presentation of your recipe. :)

A 2 minute wonder has kindled the taste buds after 2 decades.

Not the noodles alone but the bangles and the whole experience.

Congrats for holding hands with bangles on and for the nomination too.

1 person likes this.
  7. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Your comment made me so happy :) i am so glad you saw all that and more in my words. The imagery of your little daughter twirling in her paavadai is just precious.
    Thank you for sharing that.
    Please feel free to check out my other ramblings in IL. I have been writing on and off...but have been off for quite some time now. I hope to start strong again.

1 person likes this.
  8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wish you good luck and write more..:cheers

1 person likes this.
  9. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for sharing those two beautiful memories with me, Surya. I am so glad you liked my post. The bangle seller in my memory was a lady with a woven basket of bangles safe in the stuffed paper cylinder covered by old soft sarees. :)

10. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Is that Top Chef effect i see, GG :) Its good to be back on this forum :) All this love totally inspires me. Thank you so much for the kind words GG :) Appreciate it so much!

1 person likes this.