Non-Vegeterians are Sinners??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ValuableTime, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Being a vegetarian or non-vegetarian is one's personal choice and taste. It may or many not be overlapped with the reasons from religion.

But there are many vegetarians by birth who have become non-vegetarians in due course. On the other hand, there are non-vegetarians who have switched over to veggie food by choice.

Bottom line, it is a matter of one's preference,lifestyle and taste.

To answer the question of the lead post, absolutely not...non-vegetarians are not sinners.

2. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Hi VT,

U seem to be very frustrated due to this attitude of ur frnds.

Well, I am a pure vegetarian. I have both Veg and Non-veg freinds, I sit with them when they consume non-veg. I never preach consumption of veg food bcos am a vegetarian OR it is a sin.

Its just that I care for my frends health, and ask them to consume non-veg less frequently if not quit; as non-veg food induces a lot of toxins in the body scientifically.

Hence, its just out of concern.

So, just take these things light. If ur frends make u feel bad or make fun for eating non-veg, they r not ur true frends.

-Aru

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi VT
    I truely agree with Krithika , what we eat is our personal choice.I am a non-veggie who is so crazy about fish but my DH on the other hand wont come near to a place having fish..but we don't insist that we should change our eating habits..say your friends you love eating non-vegetarian food and they should respect your decision as you does theirs.

4. deepameganathan

deepameganathan New IL'ite

well an intreasting thread are Nonvegeterians sinners?,a good explanation between the plants and the animals are discussed, but simple common sense will reply, if we agree to the ecological pyramid then we(non-veg) are not sinners as this is a nature, in other words we human are superior creation of all the creation on the world, every thing is created for the goodness of the man(human),but human should not exploit it for his greed but has to utilise fit or his need .

5. ShardaSuresh

ShardaSuresh Bronze IL'ite

Great topic.

I became a vegetarian when I moved to the US. To me it was not religion or health, but the concept of making an industry out of animal slaughter that drove me to vegetarianism.

Let me elaborate: McDonalds has hundreds of cows on a conveyor belt, before they are slaughtered. Just imagine these animals standing for hours with their feet tied so they can be killed and sold for a dollar as happy meals. (Happy for whom)

Veal is another example of extreme animal torture, so is lobster. Lets face it these lobsters and boiled alive, because some connoisseur decided they taste better that way.

I have the same opinion about silk. Being from the south Silk sarees are the expensive part of my wardrobe. I really feel guilty wearing them. Do I have the right to kill thousands of silk worms, just to be the center of attention at a party?

Debates such as these should be used to open our eyes to extreme in-humanities that we have become accostomed to.

Non-vegetarianism is not a sin but commercializing the murder of animals is definitely a sin.

6. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear VT , If u talk about "sin" I wud say even the vegetarians are sinners UNLESS THEY ARE VEGANS.But the intensity or the degree of sin varies thatz it.Itz my personal opinion.

Vegetarian food is always safer than the non-vegetarian food and sometimes healthier too.But nobody has the right to make u feel that u are a sinner.

Doesn't the person who comment on you wear silk sarees?Or doesn't he/she spray pesticide or insecticide to kill the pests or insects in her garden?

Just move on.Being a veggie or a non-veg is ur choice.Do whatever u think is right just ignore the rest.

The above is my personal opinion.

7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Sharda,

I agree with you. I don't feel eating animals is a sin, but the abuse leading up to their slaughter definitely is. Something should be done about the inhumane conditions you mentioned. Even chickens go through similar torture, being stuffed together in a tiny cage until they are killed.

But how can we tell which animals are raised humanely and which ones are "mass produced"? There should be a way for us to tell how an animal was treated. Like for a carton of eggs you can get "free range" which means the chickens were allowed to roam free. Hmmm.

8. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

I think finally it all boils down to whether a person eats vegetarian or non vegetarian.
    Can one blame a butcher just because he is slaughtering animals for a living?
    He has to do this work to feed his family,right.
    What do the so called "vegetarians" say about it?!!!

Don`t they kill the "cockroaches" which invade their kitchens?Or do they let them be!!! Even that attributes to "killing".Isn`t that a sin!

geevee

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Geevee,

On a lighter note, I used to know this one vegetarian, an old man from Canada, who used to do exactly what you just said! He'd find bugs in his house and either let them stay, or he'd pick them up and put them outside. Even cockroaches!!!! CREEPY!!!!! :eek:mg:

10. ValuableTime

ValuableTime Senior IL'ite

Wooh hoow... So many opinions.. I love it :thumbsup