Non-Vegeterians are Sinners??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ValuableTime, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ValuableTime

ValuableTime Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Firstly, I dont know where to start this thread. So if there is any thread relavant to this topic, just move it. Thanks.

Coming to the issue,
    I've had some good numbers of Vegeterian Friends (not even eating Egg kind). I've experienced this situation most of the times. Veg Friends treats the Non-Veg gang as if they are doing some kind of sin. (PN: Not all of them) Why are they thinking that way? If eating non-veg is a sin for them, let them be as they want.. Why do they behave so weird that they want to make us feel guilty???
    The reason they might give is, We are killing a life :drowning Well, even spinach has its life. Why are they eating the spinach then?? Why dont they understand it and torture me?? I just dont care about all these. But then, I wanna know why they behave like this. All my life, I had both Veg & Non-Veg friends. Why the Veg Friends put me in a situation like this??
    I really want to know, is eating meat that sinful????? :idontgetit:

2. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

You know what VT. Its all as much in your mind as they would want you to believe (that you are a sinner)

Do you regret seeing animals slaughtered and believe it is sinful? If you do, then you should not eat non-veg. If you believe it as part of nature that one animal consumes another, then you would believe that there is nothing sin in all this. But then that is up to you, to think either way.

If you feel offended it means that you too nurse, somewhere in your mind, that it is not alright. A clear conscience is all what matters here.

I agree with you though, that vegetarians should keep their thoughts to themselves and would do better if they don't try to show any holier than thou attitude.

I won't agree with your analogy - killing a spinach being equivalent to killing an animal. A spinach is a spinach and an animal is an animal. And yes non-vegetarians are different from vegetarians in that they consciously and by choice consume animal flesh. Though, I won't say that is the way I would define the difference, it would then be an oversimplification.

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I prefer a vegetarian diet, but still I eat meat some of the time.

My hubby on the other hand is a total carnivore. He eats all type of meat... beef, mutton, pork, chicken, shrimp, fish, eggs. However, he hates people who go hunting! :bonk

I guess we would all be feeling bad about the loss of an animal life, but still many of us go ahead and eat the meat. Everytime I see a cute animal on tv I tell myself I will never eat meat again, but eventually my resolve wears off. *sigh*

Are me and my hubby sinful? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. Like Visu said, it's all in your mind what you want to believe.

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I dont eat meat at all but my husband does. I dont think non vegetarians are sinners. Its their choice of food habits. I just prohibit my husband to eat it becoz it has happened in the past that he got a hang of eating it and wanted it everyday . It was not helping at all as he gained weight .I dont know the reason but I have seen him gain considerable weight after non-veg sessions (1 week at a time).All the losing of weight he does in veg days is gained back in non veg sessions.Hence I limit his non veg eating.

5. ValuableTime

Thanks for the replies :)

Ok. I dont feel that I am doing any sin at all. But some of the Veg people provoke me to think that I am doing sin. I have some friends who are Veg. Most of my life, they have been trying to impose it in me, which I dont agree at any point.

Visu,
    A spinach has the same life as that of an animal. A spinach has its stem, leaves,etc.. like an animal has flesh, blood etc. Then why dont you agree?? Is it because its easy to kill a spinach than an animal?? I dont understand. Pls clarify the difference. Because most of my friends would say the same thing. I want to know why people see it differently.

I completely agree that the food habits are as per the perference of the person.

I want to be very clear here. I am not disturbed by their unwanted interference. I know what I want and what I dont. All I want to know is, Why are they considering it as Sin when eating spinach/ any kind of veg is also a kind-of killing ?? Why are they not agreeing that killing happens even for Vegetables???

6. asuitablegirl

VT,

A spinach and a cow for example, are fundamentally different. A cow has advanced cognitive abilities, a spinach has none. Meaning, a cow has understanding of what is going on, can experience fear, etc. Also, animals have neurosystems. Meaning they can feel pain! A spinach can not. There are some plants (like vines) where you can cut a piece off and that piece will grow into a new plant. But there are no animals that I know of, where you can cut off their body part and generate a new animal.

Also, some animals can even feel remorse. It's one of the unique traits that seperates "higher level ability" animals from those with "lower level ability." Remorse and regret are characteristics of higher level animals like humans, dogs, and dolphins. All three are capable of understanding "good" vs "bad." A lower level animal like a crocodile though, does not have that ability. It does not feel bad whether it eats a fish or a human. Now if crocodile itself is at a low level of ability, imagine how low a spinach would be. In fact a spinach can not even be compared to the 'low level ability' crocodile, because even a crocodile can ***think***. Vegetation does not have 'thinking power'.

Although plants are definitely alive, they do not experience life in the same way animals and humans do.

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Lately I have been loving the topics on IL - the work day seems to fly by!! Thank you!!! :kiss

Ok, so being a veggie - I have noticed that as well, a few of my veg. friends tell me that as a practising Hindu, I should follow suit and be a vegetarian, but I pay no mind and so are my reasons:

1. My ancestors were not vegetarians; not going scientific but, I come from a coastal part of India, and fish is a staple part of the diet, and so is lamb and chicken etc. I can forgo lamb and chicken, but the love for seafood runs through my blood, and I think it has a lot to do with the household I was raised in, seafood accompanies everything!

2. The people who claim to self righteous vegetarians and be following the "Sattvic" form of life by not eating any meat etc, good for them, but their lifestyle is not healthy! If any Indian tells me by following the total Indian vegetarian diet is healthy, is totally kidding themselves! Indian food is high in calories - oil, coconut, cream, yogurt base, cashew paste, paneer.. you name it, we use it to make curries, and these add up over the years.

3. The religious pandits - please refer to Chapter 52 of Uttarkanda (last book of Ramayana) written by none other Sage Valmiki about the lifestyle of Rama and Sita in Ayodhya. There are also passages indicating how the brahmins also ate meat and drank wine. When Rama was set to exile, he had to live the life of a hermit (needs to hunt to eat) and not a sanyasi

4. Coming to our generation, Swami Vivekananda indicated that there are two basic forms of Dharma - Sanatana Dharma and Yuga Dharma. Sanatana Dharma is common in all yugas but yuga dharma is specific to each yuga. In Treta Yuga, it was not wrong for a brahmin to eat non-veg not wrong for humans to drink wine, the Kali Yuga (which we are in now, supposedly) the interpretations are up for grabs.

All in all, Hindu dharma is encompasses it all, and no one is better than the other. All it preaches is to be a good human being, and to watch out for Karma! :thumbsup

8. ValuableTime

ASG,
    I know the difference between an animal and a plant.
    You see, both of them have life in this world. Just because an animal has extra abilities to live in the world, killing them is considered as sin. Why it is not so for a plant? Any living thing in this world has its life and taking the life out of it is wrong.
    Obviously, humans have to live in this world, so we kill the plant / animal as per our preference. So, why see difference only if it is an animal is my point.

Is it because we can do the killing of the spinach easily than doing it to an animal??

9. asuitablegirl

I think if you use common sense, you will find the answer to your question.

I believe the guilt comes from causing an animal pain, whereas plants don't feel pain. Also, I don't believe you can compare animals life to plants. There's a reason people keep dogs and cats as pets and not spinach leaves. Completely different life types.

10. ValuableTime

OMG !!!! Here comes the common sense again...:spin
    I completely understand what you are trying to tell ASG. I do understand the "Pain" you are talking about.

If an animal is killed without pain, does that means one need not have to feel guilty??? Killing is a killing whether there is pain or no pain.

Have'nt you heard about Gardening??? Many of them do Gardening with same passion as they groom thier pets. I've heard from my ancestors that, plants interacts with people.
    I totally agree that, plants & animals are different & definitely have different life types. My point is,
    "both of them have life in this world. Just because an animal has extra abilities to live in the world, killing them is considered as sin. Why it is not so for a plant? Any living thing in this world has its life "

I know. Well, this is what I think.
    Even plants has life. Whether they feel pain or not, they are getting killed. For animals, they feel the pain and get killed. Both are killing according to me and I dont categorize them as "Sinful Killing" or "Sinless Killing".
    Humans need to live and they kill another living thing every day to sustain in this world (Plant or Animal). This is my opinion.

See Guys,
    I dont want a war here between Veg & Non-Veg. Ppl prefer their choices as per their needs. Why descriminate only those who go for animals?? I just want to say that, its their choice and do not interfere in it unless asked for.