1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Non performers have a more fertile imagination!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sri,

Starting at non-performance issues to excuses .... again a simple message..great.... ...when I was working i could not accept excuses..but today...I have mellowed a lot..i dont know if i can shout at somebody who comes and gives the excuse of children not well...(it means i can easily be taken for a ride:mrgreen:)

Today we know that the media also helps us...have you seen the ad for magicbricks...

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    It is better to accept excuses than giving them!
    I would rather be called gullible accepting excuses than being called slimy for giving excuses!
    But it should be admitted that giving excuses calls for some very special skills and not every one can do it well and convincingly!
    Sri

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri good one.:)

Oneof the orignals i read was

Sir, i pressed the toothpaste too hard and a lot came out, and it took me an hour to push it back in.

Can this pass in today's time , Sri.Regards.kamal

Did u receive my note Sri.?

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

The article is nice on non-performers.... I partly dont accept the concept of non-performer.... I believe that in everybody there is a telent hidden in them... how to bring it out depends upon the leader.... Unless the fellow is totally dumb and has no interest to work....

The main reason for most of the non-permormers for not performing is because they feel that - they are not part of the team, their work is not important, they are not recognised, they are not appreciated etc.... They also know what their strengths and weaknesses are....

Instead of rating them as non-performer and writing them off, in my opinion you should encourage them and make them understand that they are part of the team and their work counts for the organisational success... A smll pat on their back will go a long way....

I always felt that throwing out a person stating that he is a non-performer is the easiest job.... For that they dont need me.... have to motivate people and get things done and not to do their job.... We can help but not do their work...

I may be wrong in my concepts, but it always worked for me....

I still remember when I was working in chennai, I had a person who was a non-performer... But he had the greatest ability of talking.... He can get into anybodys office and talk so sweetly and get the info or get the work done.... But everybody in the office is scared to talk to him or tell him anything because of his bad languagee. He chants vedas, attends poojas everything... That time I had tough time with our bankers, as I was new to exports and documentation... I fully used him to go to the bank and get the documents cleared ... He used to crib and shout at me, as I was 10-15 yrs younger to him... I used to praise him for his work and made him to understand that is important... Slowly he also learnt and also helped me to get the work done Banks from the and within a short span he became an expert....

In my opinion, if you give them an opportunity, they will also perform....

Correct me if I am wrong....

Veda

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Thats true Vysan,

People who are non-performers really have some or the other hidden talent. It is always better to help them to show up their ability and get the best out of them. That is what i tell the teachers also if you keep on cribbing about the slow learning students or students who dont get marks, you should understand you are not teachig them better or you are not putting them the subject in the best way. Some students are visualizers, some learn by hearing for some you should combine both, for some they cannot learn if you are teaching them in the crowd so they will come to you again for second learning. So you should go according to the students and teach them will all the aids that you could and then alone you could make all a better student and you could also be a better teacher.

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    This reminds me of the tamil proverb 'aada theriyadhavallukku muttram kuttamnaalam'.(
    What a great excuse?) Is this not a perfect one for your topic?
    Enjoyed reading all the posts and i agree with them all.
    Rajmi, I agree with what your husband has told you. Eventhough we think of them as our mother, they should be also thinking in the same way as their daughter. then only it will be enjoyable. You are lucky in this way.

sriniketan

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

I am very very sorry to hear about your health.God bless you, get well soon,and be back at Indus quick and fast.

I pray for yr quick recovery.God bless u and yr family.Kamal

8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,

Best regards.

A lovely post Sir....that reminded me of my first boss at work and second boss at work....

The first was.....Just as yours

The second.......Just as you are .....

But, I learnt good lessons from both.......ofcourse, I was like the 'cat who was fed with hot milk by Tenali Raman' after my work experience with my first boss........but...., the second.. , really brought out the best in me.......
    The technique......"Different Strokes for Different Folks"....I follow that even now.... it really works very well in the home-front too.....

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi
    Why do you say 'home front too'? Inter-personal relationship, be it in office or home, will require the same level of understanding and acumen. We need to be really proactive to be successful in this most important aspect of human life. I am happy to hear that your second boss could bring out the best in you. But basically, the best is always within you. With a little bit of mental training, you can ensure that the best comes out of you no matter who sits over you. That is what self motivation is all about. Bosses can at best be a catalyst and in the unfortunate circumstance of having to work under a cynic or a trigger-happy boss, that is the time you endeavour to dig deep into your resources and come out trumps.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I have worked for a high-energy and extremely aggressive CEO of a software company for 9 years. He is not only energetic but well known for his abusive language skills. He does not take no as an answer for anything. Many executives and employees were even afraid of talking to him. If he is in the office, people felt terror. As part of the senior executive management, we got used to that style over a period of time. His logic for criticizing everyone is to help them grow to the next level of performance.

Despite all hell environment, we still used to enjoy some of the interactions with him. I am going to mention a few instances just as an example:

1) Once we bought four apartments in Mumbai for senior executives to live. Mumbai builders are notorious for not delivering apartments on time. For that matter, any builder is like that in India. Once he visited from the US and asked why the apartments were not delivered as promised. The Indian CEO replied they have raised only up to 4th floor and we have bought 7th and 13th floor. This Chief said in response, "I do not accept no as an answer." The Indian CEO responded, "In that case, I will request the builder to build 7th and 13th before he builds the 5th floor". We could not control our laughter.

2) On another occasion, mistakenly this Chief accepted with the customer that one of the offshore projects to be delivered in 4 months what was originally agreed to be delivered in 10 months. He came into India and told the Indian CEO, "I do not care what you would do. But I would like this project to be delivered in 4 months." The Indian CEO politely responded, "It would be a miscarriage if it is delivered in 4 months as opposed to 10 months."
    Again everyone could not control the laughter.

3) This Chief and I were trying to move dollars from India to US. This was during the period when liberalization had just started. With great difficult and after repeated travel to New Delhi, I obtained in principle approval from the Finance Ministry. Still the real documents will have to be issued by Reserve Bank. This Chief came to India and asked me what we were waiting for and I told him that we were waiting for RBI approval. He asked, "who is the boss Finance Ministry or RBI?" I politely answered, "It is the finance ministry". He got furious and told that he wanted to accompany with me to RBI to give a piece of his mind. We walked into one of the General Managers office. He straight away asked, "Why do I need a document to be issued by you when I have Finance Ministry approval?" He responded back politely, "Finance Ministry is a regulatory government department. We are the actual organization that implement all the regulations." The Chief asked, "So, you are just a rubber stamp."
    The General Manager was furious and I can't explain how hard it was to get that letter out of him.

2 people like this.