1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Noble!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

While I was asking for directions to one of my friend's new residence in a crowded street, somebody touched my shoulders from behind. "Hey buddy!, How are you?", he said. I turned back and looked at the him hard, unable to recognize. But he called me by my nickname while I was in school and hugged me tight.

Thankfully he did not ask whether I could recognize him or not. I smiled and spoke nothing in particular, but nodded every now and then when he talked about our other classmates. Then he asked me that question. "Did you see Murugan Sir?". I was a bit surprised. How can I forget that teacher who was so gentle to all of us? I wondered how this guy could talk of him so fondly.

Then he added - "Last week I went to his home and scolded him, you know?", he said. "You people studied well and quickly went out of the school. I and a few others failed. It was Murugan Sir, who took us free tuition everyday. Many of us couldn't even pay anything, you know? And before exams, he made us stay at his home and madam cooked for all of us. We all passed, but I just managed to. Then I used to go to him occasionally and keep vegetables / fruits on the table. Sir will not accept it, but I will run away after keeping it. I saw him two months back while coming back from factory and asked about how madam and their kids were doing. He said that they were alright and asked about me and my mother".

"Then?", I asked. "Only last week I came to know that madam passed away in an illness 4 months back and after a short while, he quit his job, to do some business from home. I went that day, scolded him for not saying all this and cried!", he said and left soon, citing some urgency.

I found it hard to control myself.

p.s. 1 - This is a true story and the names of the characters are changed here.
    p.s. 2 - I did not tell him that I never recognized him and realized later that we did not exchange our numbers.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

He certainly was noble!! though he did not achieve highly in his exams, he is eternally grateful to the sir who made it possible for him to complete his education. The gratitude he showed with the vegetables and fruits is far superior to any award the teacher could have received.

The Teacher himself is a noble man who deserves every bit of gratitude showered, in thoughts and in deeds. He genuienly cared for these children and made possible what had been previously impossible for them.

Yes, being overwhelmed at times, makes us lose sight of some important things. we seldom forget to get contact numbers of people we hardly know, but forget from people we want to be in touch with.

Good one rgs!!

Akila

3. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

So true.. every word of your story and every word of the review which Akila has written. Both are beautiful in their own ways. Yes, the friend had lots more morals and gratitude towards his teacher. He recognizes that today whatever he is, is because of that teacher. Though he himself was not wealthy, still he showed his gratitude by keeping fruits and vegetables. The teacher, do I even have to talk about him. He is a gem of a person, whose sole motive is to educate children and not to gain monitory profit out of it. Even when he was in misery he did not let it out. Even more heartening is that the student found about the distress and took liberty to scold his teacher for not letting him know.
    Sad that we lose our ways beyond our school and college and miss our genuine friends. When I think back on a few of my school friends and teachers, I still have a warm memory.

4. rgsrinivasan

What I did not add further is that my teacher is still there in the same address, for several years. I have already quoted him in a blog that I wrote long back - "100 Rupees". Gem of a man who appears shy but made many of us straight. And I have not met this friend again tilldate, as I switched to various places. Thanks for your wonderful feedback Akila. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

Akila's feedback was better than mine, Mathangi. And yours only could match it. Thanks for your nice feedback. Have you read / watched Sa. Kandasamy's "Tholaindhu PonavargaL"? [it came as a TV serial in Podigai, long back]. Its about four friends who plan to meet together after many years. The richest one would organise the event, but in the end, only the poorest turns up, with a gift and they have a wonderful time together. -rgs

6. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Its really noble on both of their parts. That brings back my memories of my teacher.

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

This story of the teacher reminded me of my grandfather who died in 1948 much before I was born in 1954. He was the principal of the Guindy Engineering College. He used to invite all distance relatives and friends to send their children to the Engineering College and open the house to those children to stay and study in the college. My dad said to me that he used to have dinner cooked by his mother along with 40 other students. I am 59 years old now and even now when I visit some houses, some of the retired Engineers who were visiting US when they come to know about my grandfather, fondly remembers him. One gentleman stood up in respect when I told that I am grandson of so and so.

It is so nice to hear about a noble teacher who practices teaching as a service to the students.

Viswa

8. rgsrinivasan

So you can share them here, Madam. We all will be happy to read and respond. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

One of the biggest positives in writing a blog is that you get a lot of information and satisfaction when the viewers share their experience. You gave me that Viswa. Thanks. And your grandfather must have been real proud, if he were now, for having you. -rgs

10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hi rgs,

Its truly very noble on the part of the teacher and very affectionate on the part of the student, i did have a wonderful teacher in my school who used to take english classes, she not only taught us english but also the lessons of life.. Unfortunately before i completed my school My teacher was no more as Cancer had taken her away and since she was so sweet even god wanted her. Sorry for deviating away from your blog, but after reading it reminded me of this dear teacher, whom i had forgotten in ages.