1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

No plastics in Microwave or Fridge - Cancer update

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by jayana, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

I got the below as a forwarded message as one of my emails...so I thought of sharing it with u'll.
    I don't know how far it is true.....if anyone knows about this, please feel free to comment on this.

We all mostly use plastic containers/plastic wraps in the microwave, and after reading this its really confused as to use it or not.......what do u all think about this...??...

Regards,
    Jayana

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Cancer update -- Johns Hopkins -- Cancer News from Johns Hopkins:
    1. No plastic containers in micro.

2. No water bottles in freezer.

3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This
    information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical
    Center as well.

Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.

Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain
    fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin
    into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware,
    Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same
    results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and
    soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something
    else.
    Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use
    tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.

This is an article that should be sent to anyone
    important in your life!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006

2. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

3. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Tupperwares...

Hi Jayana,

As Laksn has pointed all in the mail may not be true being a hoax.

But I remember reading in one of the magazines that plastic containers should not be used for heating / re-heating food in the microwave. Storage in plastic containers is perfectly fine though.

In fact, tupperware products are introduced in the market saying they are harmless compared to ordinary plastic products and good for heating & storage.

Regards,

Rathi

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Don't read too many warnings

Hai,
    I am of the opinion that one should not read so many warnings and take into their heads. Americans have a habit of creating such commotions from time to time. One day they mayl say that you should not breath oxygen also.
    Anything in excess is harmfull.
    People who have not used any such thing also are getting cancer. I knew of 2 women - one in her 50s and another in her 70s , both had breast cancer and one breast was removed. They were very traditional people who breastfed their children, did not use any contraceptives, did not eat fast food or any fance cosmetics or body spray, did not go out much, were very docile and soft natured and pleasant, were very religious and pious also. Why did they get cancer? It is all a matter of fate, I feel.
    My mother is 73 now. She had 7 children, 6 by hersef and dogged day and night. Physical work and exerting the body were the only things she did everyday. She observed Ekadasi and many other rituals without fail. She used to grind the idli batter etc manually. She used to walk long distances with out any tiredness, sometimes carrying children, out and in. She had knee problem and now for the past 2 years she is getting problem with her shoulder bones. How? Inspite of all the physical work, she was really fat around her midriff, even now she is.
    When you read any such news, do not take it too much in. Analyse for yourself and then decide.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

5. suvanisairam

suvanisairam New IL'ite

Re: Tupperwares...

Hello rathi.,
    I would like to say that not all tupperware products are microwaveable. You need to check this with the dealer who sells u tupperware abt it. clarify all your doubts about tupperware & its quality before u buy the product. Since its available only with the dealers directly you can always ask for a free demo also.