1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No. of kids and naming them.....whose decision was it???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tara09, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

Did you an your spouse agree mutually on how many kids you will have or was it only one of you who decided on this???

While naming the children was it mutual or one of you decided on the name?

In our case, dh wanted to have 3 kids but it was me who decided we had enough after the 2nd one was born. I told him it would be difficult to afford a comfortable life if we had 3rd and also I needed C-section for the 2nd time too. Both my kids were born BIG babies.
    I told dh.....enough of cutting and opening my tummy for the baby each time!!
    There was lot of back and forth discussion and finally dh gave in. I had my tubes tied after 2nd C-section.

While naming, dh named the first child and I named the 2nd one.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I don't have kids. YET. But hypothetically...

I'll let the best name win. If that means my dh is the one who comes up with all of our kids names, then fine. If I'm the one with the genius naming steak, then it'll be my names that prevail. Bottom line... we both have to like it and feel 'this is it'. Who comes up with it is really irrelevant to us.

3. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi tara,
    i have 2 girls with c-Section. my dh wanted only one kid. i wanted 2kids because i don't want to leave my kid alone after we die:). me and dh wanted girls and decided the first daughter name. dh named for 2nd daughter. later Fil found that names were not suitable according to their name stars. but dh kept those names only.

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Well we don't have kids yet and neither are we both sure we want one so far. If we were to have one in the future, I suppose we'll both have a consensus on the best possible name.
    In my parents case when they had me and my brother, dad got to pick my first name and my mum's choice is my middle name and it was vice versa in my brother's case.

5. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

In my case DH wanted only one kid while I didnt have anything in my mind then but wanted a healthy baby. But when I was pregnant he said we will go for the other kid if this is a girl, if it is a boy then we shall stop at one, this statement irked me and I decided and even told him "either girl or boy we will stop at one"

Then it was my decision to name her "Aakanksha" because I loved that name which I found in some novel and ofcourse my DH liked it to.

6. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Nice thread Tara!!!
    With us, we both love kids and wanted more than 2 :)
    But i conceived after 3 yrs of marriage around vn i was 25 and we decided to have a gap of 3yrs b4 we start TTC again (coz DH wanted my full attention to be on DS until he is lil older).
    So considering my age factor (health too, i cant handle any more pregnancies after 30) our second one will be our last one for sure.
    Naming, we both decided together a final list and he selected one name from tat and i was happy with his choice :)

7. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Naming i don't know whose decision it would be. But I would prefer unique names than regular ones. Will think of it when I am pregnant [​IMG] . Me and DH both love kids. I want two kids. My husband said he wants one kid ...reason : population control it seems :tongue ( he seriously means that !!). But I convinced him saying lets have two kids. if two Kids will have each others company and house will be complete ( just my opinion )..lets see [​IMG][/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I don't have children yet but I suppose it would a be joint decision. Regardless of who comes up with the name, both partners have to like it.

I have this friend, male. When his two kids were born, his mum refused to let him name the children. His mum was very adamant that her dil - my friend's wife, the children's mum - name the children because she (the dil) did all the hard work of nurturing the babies in her womb!!!! What wouldn't one give for such a mil!

9. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

with me,we mutually agreed for two kids,but for names,he kept first baby name....but for 2nd baby,i liked my name which had a good meaning...but he was forcing me for other name but i kept mine in passport too..........but still he gets angry with me.....as the name was suggested by my sister.i get irritated when my in laws call her by the name their son liked.

10. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your responses. It was interesting to read each of your posts.

Mankan, something like this happened with my Uncle and family too.
    My Uncle, dad's brother and wife could not come to an agreement on the name. So, now my cousin has 2 names. We from uncle's side call him with a different name than aunt's side people....:rotfl

There was so much confusion in his wedding because the name that aunt and her family use is also one of my other cousin's name. So, whenever my aunt would ask us to call him we would go and get the other cousin until finally towards the end of wedding we got used to the other name of his.:biglaugh

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010