1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No need to feel shy of contagious yawning!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sidhuja
    'Kasa panama' is a wonderful attitude. That statement is very profound. Very often we find people refusing to do a thing which is expected of them like returning a smile or paying a compliment though it costs them nothing. While I understand that people should be weary when doing something is going to cost them a lot but why being stingy about things which are 'kasa panama' cases? Spreading joy and happiness doesn't cause us anything but how many do it willingly?

Rajni in Super Duper was good but imitating Sivaji requires more skill and I thought that the chap did it rather well!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Nivedi
    That was a wonderful FB on the nuances of yawning. From what you say, you strike me as a wonderfully independent type. Coming out openly in support of yawning requires a lot of courage and conviction! It's really painful that in the name of good manners, we try to stifle our natural expressions!

The only way that I could pay a tribute to your understanding FB was to yawn openly and noisily which I did just now!
    A big thanks to you, dear Nivedi!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Abha
    If you are satisfied with that age-old sceintific reason for the contagious yawning and do not need any more catalyst, pray carry on with your good work. I am only addressing those who continue to feel shy and reserved about the oldest human activity!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Aishu
    As usual, you are absolutely right. I mean the thing about people trying to say something while yawning. They dont understand that while doing so their face can become ridiculously grotesque lending further evidence to the Theory of Darwin!
    I cant understand why people are so impatient. Why cant they wait until they finish their yawning? Cant they understand that whatever they say while yawning will be greek and latin to others and that they need to repeat it anyway?

These people!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Sunitha
    I dont know about the pressure outside dropping but I know the pleasure within grows enormously with free yawning. Yawning is an expression of human freedom.
    I agree that while in public, we need to follow certain norms while yawning. Closing our mouth with our hand while yawning is like dressing ourselves adequately while making our presence in public. You have a point there!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    How well you diagnose! You are right. I was yawning right through that blog and went to sleep promptly the moment I completed it. Incidentally, I am glad to know that you were empathetic too! But what we are discussing here is contagious yawning. The one that you let off while listening to someone is not contagious yawning. But if the chap talking to you starts it, you are well within your right to return the courtesy or he might think you are not very empathetic!
    Happy empathetic yawning!
    Sri

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Generally, I log on to IL early in the morning and late in the night ! It is late now and what do I read ...about Yawning...which I am doing now !! Is it because of this post of your's or is it because I need to sleep now...No, this is not a BrainTeaser !! Only sleepy groggy me!
    Cheeniya sir.....If anyone yawns while talking to me, it annoys me ! My children dare not do it :mad: Ofcourse, this was when they were little. Now I take whatever comes my way..yawn, smile or frown ! But generally speaking, I think it is real bad manners to yawn, burp etc in company. But then, I can hardly control my yawns when I am listening to a boring concert. It embarrasses me immensely, but my yawn doesn't seem to know !:-(

L, Kamla...........always wondering at the spectrum of your topics!

8. Cheeniya

Dear Pombalai Naradar
    I can certainly see that you have written your FB late at night half asleep! Otherwise you wont be saying that you caught me in the act all the time forgetting that it is top of the morning at the other part of the globe when no 'act' is possible!:mrgreen:
    Empathy is intellectual reaction? Then it's even better. Wont you agree that the capacity to apply the intellect to everything we observe is a great trait?
    Thanks for that lovely compliment, my dear AC!
    I'll respond to your bit on Chithra, the moment I know in which part of her Awasthathrayam she is in at the moment!
    Sri

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    You are a Kannamma, a real charmer with your words !
    My first post is dripping with politeness always !
    You think, being the intellect that he is, Sri would not know that it is an intellectual reaction ?
    Before I enter the godha, tell me, whose side you are ? Sri may push you outside with a ring-side ticket.
    AC, have I started proving that I am a sandai kozi ? No, no, no ! I am arguement kozi only.
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    We were just discussing about talking while yawning. Now you are giving a totally new dimension to it talking about yawning while speaking. These too are different chronologically but considering that we have no control over yawning but can stop talking any time, I think we should always give precedence to yawning. Further, man started yawning much before he learned to talk. Seniority ought to be respected Kamla!:mrgreen:
    Sri