1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Sona Masoori Rice from India??Other Rice brands??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Oct 16, 2007.

1. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Re: No more Sona Masoori Rice from India????

Hi Amitha,

I did not visit indian stores,but i heard that the prices came down in our state.But the wheat price is still the same.

lets c,
    vaishu

2. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I live in East coast(US). Here in Indian stores, they sell sona masoori rice only 1 per customer for $14 for 20 lbs n $25-$28 for 40lbs . They also inform that there won't be anymore sona masoori once their stock is done.

They also said there won't be anymore flour items after their stock.Hope its better to stock. Then v hav to try Basmati rice or jasmine rice frm sam's club n other wholesale stores.

I have tried long grain rice, but not like sona masoori - it's lil sticky..so i finished all those rice by making idli n dosa batter.

Pinky..:hiya

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pinky2,

The sonaamasoori rice ban has been lifted and now the rice supply goes normal.Ofcourse the prices have gone up to $11.99 per 20 lb bag.This is tricks being played by indian stores of not comming down to original prices.I asked the person at indian stores,when the ban had been lifted,why is that the the rice is still being sold at increased prices,he answered until this stock is cleared it will be 11.99 per bag and later the prices will come down to 9.99 per 20lb bag.I dont know how far it is true.If we encourage buying at elevated prices,they will surely continue selling at high prices.If we all together stop buying,they will automatically offer at atleast reasonable prices..Same thing happend for daals and they have not cut the prices yet!

In india also the rice prices have goneup now.I dont think the prices come down anymore here.

thanks,
    vaishu

4. nyeturi

nyeturi New IL'ite

thanks for posting this, this is really shocking news!!!!!! I will check in Indian stores, I like sona massori only what to do????:-(

5. dweepa

dweepa New IL'ite

Alternative to SonaMasoori?

hi
    The cost of sona masoori rice bag increased to $20.I can't buy it now with this shock.may be later if we don't like any other,we may get practiced to that cost.
    Can u suggest any other one in the range $10.
    I saw in other thread that we can use the rice brought from sams in idli's.whether the same can be used in cooking rice?
    thanks
    dweepa

6. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

7. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Re: Rice export from India

OHH...ho thats indeed a sad news, already we are paying such a high Price for a bag of rice, with this Ban on Rice export comming ..... i guess we will have to start eating more of wheat based products. But then again have heard there's also going to be a shortage in Wheat supply too..... .

Hope something works out for end customers...

Cheers
    vaidehi

8. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Re: Alternative to SonaMasoori?

Dear Dweepa,

I heard from a friend that she used long grain rice from Sam's club which was good. The Sam's club carry, Royal brand basmathi rice which is also good.

9. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

Hi ,

yesterday i went to groccessory store and i already felt the rising price temparature .The 20lbs bag was 16.50 ,its just double the original price.

Regards
    Mitra

10. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

just last week i bought 2 bags of sona masoori rice for stocking :clap:clap

don't know for how long will it last?

regards,
    sreelata.s