1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Sona Masoori Rice from India??Other Rice brands??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Oct 16, 2007.

1. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Nands,

Enriched parboiled rice has always turned out disaster for me, i tried various proportion and brands. Now i am happy with Blue ribbon Long grain Rice from Costco which is near closest to our idli rice and idli's turn out to be soft. I use the same proportion as in Chitvish mam's idli recipe and am very happy with the result.

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

thanks vaidehi....

ponni boiled rice.. works best for me..

saw a 20 pounder for $20 and fell for this one...

:( hope to return it.. not sure if they will get it back..

else need to find ways of using it somehow :(

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Vaidehi,

Enriched parboiled rice from Blue ribbon is "saapidara arisi" meaning it is to be used for cooking rice. It is not idly rice and definitely will not come out right.

Same goes for Lakshmi brand parboiled rice-I made this mistake once thinking it could be substituted for Lakshmi brand "Idly rice'..but no... the resulting batter is so sticky-not good for idlis or dosas.

So far, whatever brand may be..better to stick with rice that says Idly rice on the bag.:)

I've not experimented with long rain enriched rice from Blue ribbon for idlis. But I've used it to cook rice for Pongal and curd rice.

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Thanks Jithiks, i never knew enriched Par boiled Rice is meant for Eating. Wonder how it will taste coz i feel it will be so grainy and puffed up. Have u tried cooking with that rice ?

True... no doubt, idly rice gives the best idly.... but have seen my mother using normal parboile rice in India and We used to get super soft idly's, so "Alpa Aasai" and tried my hands on the former. It came out like Maida maavu Koozhu:hide:.

I have been using Blue ribbon Long grain rice and it gives good ildys and dosais, but i am so terrified by the word long grain rice.... haven't tried using them for cooking. Will try soon... Is it only suitable for Pongal/curd rice or can we use it with sambhar /rasam?

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Making idli using parboiled rice is a disaster.Its is so sticky and gooey.My friend uses ponni boiled rice and get good idli.

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Yes, I've used the enriched par boiled rice and enriched long grain rice-both for cooking rice.

The parboiled rice comes out separate (puzhungala arisi) and it is not bright white in colour, it is puffed up and does not become sticky when cooked.

Enriched long grain rice comes out sticky when cooked and depending on how we want it we can adjust the water. When water is not enough, it comes out undercooked, when there is too much water, it comes out sticky and well-cooked in such a way that it is well suited for curd rice and pongal.

We've tried using it for sambar and rasam, it has a different texture than our regular ponni rice and I didn't like the taste & texture.

Nowadays using "Kitchen King" Sona Masoori Rice (it is a yellow bag) for regular use - it is approx $25 for 20lb bag and it is excellent.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika

Saw your post below. I would like to ask you which brand of Idli Rice do you use.

I used Laxmi Boiled rice until now. I have a bag of Blue ribbon Long grained rice ( raw rice ) which sometimes i mix with boiled rice for idli only to finish off the bag faster.

The other day i saw lots of idli rice brands frm foodworld, deep, laxmi, sashta and probably few more. Most of them are in the range of 24-25$ for the bag of ( 20 lb i believe ).

Boiled rice and par boiled rice are "eatable rice" right ? So is idli rice better than boiled rice for making idli / dosa ?

Im planning to get idli rice now. Pls suggest / recommend brands which are both good tastewise and cost effective.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have been using food world idly rice for quite sometime now, its pretty good. I have made idli/dosa using both boiled rice and idli rice, both are just fine. Its just that idli rice gives you a much more softer idli than boiled rice idli. For dosa either boiled rice or idli rice will work fine.

-Uma

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I always use laxmi brand Idly rice and the idlis always come out soft and spongy. If they are not available, Bansi brand is also good.

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I always use laxmi brand idli rice for making idlies.
    The idlies are soft and fluffy. If laxmi brand is not
    available I use any other brand idli rice only.