No Luck With Job Search :(

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Oct 13, 2020.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

did u try job in schools as substitutes or daycares? I see lot of ladies who have big gap in experience are getting jobs in schools and day cares. Right now lot of older ladies with high risk left their teachers jobs so schools need teachers desperately. You don’t need any degree or experience for that. It’s better for your kid also as u will have same timings as her.

Sreevidyaa and anika987 like this.
  2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

That's actually a good idea...teaching would be a good option even if not very rewarding...the idea is to be busy and have a regular income ..

anika987 likes this.
  3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Lots of great tips already for you.

I still think these might work well for you:
    1. Video classes for bharatanatyam (guessing you know bharatanatyam from others' comments)
    2. Personal coach for health/nutrition/fitness via text/video/etc

Both of which will require atleast 6 months of prep work that you can do from home.
    1. A professional course that formally trains you for nutrition/fitness
    2. Create a profile/following on instagram for your passion - this needs to be built gradually and will take months to get good content out. Or a youtube channel where people can get a taste for who you are and what you can offer as an "enthusiast" before you are trained to be a professional.
    3. Introspection on what your speciality will be i.e. your personal style atop the formal program you will be choosing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Sreevidyaa and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

This health coach,.they are asking for some BS degree..
    hubby is not willing to spend a lot of money to train and nutrition needs science background and a four year degree..
    but am interested with the above though..

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Another thing which I had failed to mention...

It is not the fear of even trying for a job..
    the fear of failure..

I have been fired by many jobs in the past coz I have a very slow memory and I take a lot of time to learn.At the time,I had no child and atleast had time to cry after my relatives ripped me apart..

now..at the age of 40,with a child who is a pre teen..I don't even mind giving a try but I have to be honest it is going to be very difficult to start and for some reason I decide to quit..I do not have the mental energy to hear the taunts from my relatives.I just don't have that emotional strength.

Plus my learning is slow...I do have that problem.I put in a lot of hardwork but blank out.

As you guys said and hubby also said..I need to accept myself and move on.In that way one good thing in my life is..my husband respects me for whatever work I do and even when I tell him that am spending his money..in a sweet way he will hit my head and say "our money":)

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@anika987- you have a beautiful family. A wonderful, loving, and caring husband, a beautiful child.
    Your relatives will keep ripping you apart as long as you let them. They won't stop if you get and keep a job. If you want, you can try some of these courses:

5 Best Confidence Classes & Courses [2020] [UPDATED]

1. Unshakable Confidence: Become 100% Secure in Who You Are (Udemy)
    2. Double Your Confidence and Self Esteem – Complete Blueprint (Udemy)
    3. How to Break the Habit of Self-Doubt & Build Real Confidence (CreativeLive)

The power to stop your relatives is within you! You have to start loving yourself and building the much needed confidence!

Good luck!

muthukkanna, Sreevidyaa and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you nuss..will check those links.Really appreciate it

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@anika987
    I had held off on commenting here as I wasn’t sure if you were venting or really looking for answers. If you are serious about wanting a change, I think before you tackle the workforce etc you have to change your fundamental mindset. Especially the negative thoughts that you are slow or the remembered taunts. That’s what’s really slowing you down. I recommend you try Louise Hay and her daily affirmations to start your day everyday. It sounds silly but really they do work! Check on YouTube and google you will find many of her recordings on positivity and every possible positive combination. Listen to them and slowly you will build your own set of affirmations that you can lean on in times of self doubt.

9. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Anika,
    Lots of people here have shared valuable advice.

My advice is ignore what in laws do and let that not be the deciding factor in your life. They will say what they have to say regardless if you are working or not.
    Enjoy your life as is unless you are really career oriented/motivated. only you can answer that.

if you think yes then ...Sharing my experience if it will help you.

The reason I wanted to work was to be financially independent. Not that my DH was controlling financially but we differed in the way we spend. He was against it but Since I stood my ground on wanting to work then he supported me and I joined training institute (had to invest around 2K ) and slowly worked my way up. I went for internships without pay just to add experience to my resume. then I landed an internship with meager pay..like someone said initially the pay should not matter as long as adding experience (that is the key). later a full time job and so on..

hubby is not willing to spend a lot of money to train and nutrition needs science background and a four year degree..

Tell him to think of it as an initial investment. Tell him you will repay once you start earning to convince him if needed.

Another important thing is the more interviews you attend, the better exposure you have to type of questions asked and you can better prepare yourself for the next one..I used to jot down the questions that I didn't do well and prepare for that one for the next time..so you would come up with list of the most common questions, so your confidence will improve with each interview.

when I was not working I used to take even small things my in laws said in different sense, over analyze things and get irked and pick fights with hubby. he used to say idle mind is the reason for this and that's main reason he agreed for me to go to job as it is a diversion and he will be spared :) I guess that is what is happening in your case as well..(over analyzing, and giving way more importance to them than needed)

like people have mentioned the office politics is totally something else and will drain you out..I sometimes cant handle the politics in office and feel like quitting, but now he is against it..we've have different reasons like to pay for the college fees etc etc. once you taste money you will want more of it and hard to say no. But I have fixed no of years and I will quit no matter what.

the pasture seems always green on the other side but not really :).

Sreevidyaa likes this.
  10. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

One should work if they indeed have the desire to work. Working is for us; for our satisfaction and for our ability to stand independently financially. It’s an emotional boost for many and it is a financial requirement for lots. Many have unstable employments and still juggle along because it is a necessity for various reasons. Many are unable to quit jobs inspite of office politics as it’s not possible to quit easily due to the economic issues surrounding it.

Many do voluntary work with the hope that they land some kind of paid job later. That’s the first step on the employment ladder. No one can jump onto the top rung without climbing the steps. So one step at a time. This needs sacrificing and some helps from spouse.

I have not much idea about your experience but if your husband is able to look after your kid on weekends then you search for jobs on weekends. I am not able to suggest much regarding jobs but try something which fits your family time. In that way you will satisfy your desire.

Job is for personal satisfaction and you do it only for your self. Not for others satisfaction. Remember that. Hope you have good luck in your search.

candidheart likes this.