1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No Longer!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Professor Anant was so excited about his trip back to his native. A small village in Tirunelveli town it was where he spent his first 18 years. After that, he stayed in his uncles place in a larger town and went back once in 6 months to his place, that too for brief visits. Then he did his masters and painfully witnessed the passing away of his parents during then. His aunt had been there, staying in their home.

He moved abroad, and did his doctorate. Only once did he come back, to marry Usha, who was from another part of Tamilnadu. He always cherished his initial years and was so excited talking about them to Usha and his 15 year old son, Siva. Now, after so many years, he was so excited to go back to attend a conference.

He went, attended the conference in one of the colleges in Tirunelveli and was all to eager to go back to his native place. There was a lot of change there. Many farm lands were converted to buildings and his village had grown to be a mini town. His house looked as it was, while his aunt was not in her best of health. And she was the only one who recognized him and talked about those days and his parents. The school he studied, the small library and other places were now only in his memory. He went back with a heavy heart.

When he described this and concluded that he couldn't associate himself with the very place where he was born and brought up, she nodded and just said, "I know how it feels dear!"

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

RGS,
    There is some meaning between the lines in this. Can you pl explain??

Sorry, I'm not able to connect all the dots here.

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Its quite natural to feel a bit out of place in your own place where you spent many years, if only you return after a long gap. Isn't it Pallavi? You feel that you are bot belonged to anywhere, neither in the new place [though some claim that they feel as though they belong there], nor where you've been earlier. Look at what happens to a girl after she is married. What is it that she feels when she goes back after a gap, to her own place, from her hubby's?

Same situation. Right? Thanks for asking. And I hope this explains. Sorry had I been clumsier. -rgs