No Knitting/stitching After Delivery?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by delmed, Apr 17, 2016.

1. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

Has anyone heard of such a custom in the Indian culture, that one should not do any knitting/stiching/needlework after delivery?
    My mother-in-law suddenly came up with this, when I requested her to bring wool from India (to USA) to do some knitting for my post-delivery days when I will be at home for 3 months... Surprisingly she never mentioned it when I had my first child! She is visiting us before my delivery, and already making plans on how she can make life difficult for me while she is here.
    Just wanted to know if this custom really exists, or is just another made-up thing on her part to trouble me?
    Would appreciate your input...

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Its ok to do those. Just ensure you won't strain after focusing for the job. Rest well in the post pregnancy part. Since its second baby, you must be having enough works already. Take care.

3. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

Thanks Vasumathy. Has anyone else heard of a custom like this, where one shouldn't do knitting of stitching after delivery?

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

When I was in the hospital for my delivery,the nurse took away my books.
    She told me not to strain my eyes for sometime after delivery. She said the body prepares for the delivery and it takes time to get back to pre-delivery state.She also told me to be careful and gentle with the teeth and gums too .

I think she(nurse) meant for some days ...not months

5. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi, and pressure yourselves.

I am not sure abt Knitting, but generally post delivery for few months you are not supposed to put more strain in any work.

delmed likes this.
  6. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    I have heard of this from well meaning mom. I didn't believe in this things but now I do, many years after delivery.
    Have you heard that newborns can't see, they are learning to see and we should not stress their eyes too with too many flashing cameras/ artificial light/ direct sunlight?
    Even though, your MIL is coming across as controlling with a new custom, but just diffuse her control, but telling the science behind it, quoting something like "wow, science is so interesting, who knew! I want to keep my eyes, I have whole life for knitting"

7. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

Dear OP,
    I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean... Newborns can't see is right, but how is that related my eyesight and my knitting??? Are you implying that one should not knit after delivery as that requires lighting, and newborn should not be exposed to bright lights?

Katakam123 and Rihana like this.
  8. vidhya1984

vidhya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Hi OP,

I don't know if this is related, but may help answer your question.

I wear contact lenses and my doctor said that I could possibly see changes in my prescription after delivery and said I should schedule a test about 6 months after delivery. Also I tried to check for laser surgery on eyes when I was on maternity leave ( this was in India). the doctor there said that it will take some time for eyes to stabilize after delivery and breastfeeding because of all the hormonal changes.

Maybe that is what is driving our Indian age old belief to not do any knitting/ intricate work after delivery. Now the question of whether good intentions or controlling behavior is making your MIL bring it up - :hmmm:...hmmmm...not going there! :nono:

9. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    Our eyes (pupil) focus on things to 'see' things. The physical parts of eyes function, and relay information to brain. But the information is gibberish till brain puts it in more meaningful picture. Many neurons and eyes are at work.
    Now, this process is effected by hormones, and our body chemistry.
    A person who had alcohol will have dilated pupil. When we look at loved one, our pupils dilate more; when we look at something we don't like or we are trying to focus on a needle, we will have very little dilation. When we go out in sunlight, we have little dilation and more when indoors.
    So, basically our eyes are dilating based on external factors (like light) and internal factors (like oxytocin for loved ones, or drugs)
    The little ones' brain and eyes learn when to dilate pupil and how to make picture with gibberish signals, in first year.
    Post delivery for us, our pupils act as if we are on drugs/ alcohol. They do not dilate or constrict (focus) at our command. Our eyes are in more of a continuous dilated phase, post delivery. This can cause us injury, if we were to look at Sun for long because too much of light will go in. Same for needles- even if you try to focus, your pupils will not constrict.
    All this should be over in first 1 month, for you. Your eyes will be with you rest of your life, takecare of them for 1, 2 months after delivery.
    There are many changes in body, after baby e.g. estrogen level is very high and due to this the muscle tone is very weak. The muscles down there, are weak after holding the baby and birthing the baby and still on estrogen. If someones, lifts heavy stuff during this time, prolapse can occur. So, that's why, the common custom of not lifting anything other than baby.
    Customs start with good cause but become a means of control, so I said 'diffuse' the control by quoting the science behind it and telling that you agree with science.
    Take care of your body, it will be the only thing with you till very last, every single moment along the way!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite