No Chat or SMS style words please!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Induslady, May 12, 2008.

1. pratapa

pratapa New IL'ite

Sorry , i did post a few posts with short words before seeing this one. I will refrain from now on.

2. swapna15

swapna15 Senior IL'ite

Dear IL,

I really appriciate your efforts to make this site a wonderful place.

I agree with othere who insist that there should not be any other language than English in Posts/Blogs etc.

There is one more thing I would like to add, some members have animated logos beside their names, and that really disturbs me a great deal when reading their post.

Once againg I thank you for providing such a wonderful platform to Indians who have spread across the globe but still feel connected to each other because of this site.

Best wishes
    Swapna

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks to the forum administrators for creating and maintaining high standards in language use and content on IL. I find it particularly cheering that so many people have responded to this thread, saying they have used sms-style abbreviations in the past, and that they'll refrain from doing it now. I think it takes a big person to admit such a thing and strive to change their behaviour. Well done, ladies.

The rest of my post is directed at Dcsekar (quoted below). She (I'll assume the writer is female) has asked some valid questions in questioning the fairness of this mandate, so I thought I'd attempt to give some answers here. At the outset, I must admit I am extremely biased in favour of writing properly and in full forms, with proper punctuation and grammar, so expect this to be a very one-sided explanation!

All writing is not equal. In other words, we have to change our tone, vocabulary, writing style, etc. to suit the context of what we are writing. We must consider our audience and their needs. Above all, we should always aim for maximum readability. It is rude (in my opinion) to express yourself in a way that makes it difficult for people to understand what you are saying quickly and easily.

So, the "big deal" about sms or chat-style words is attention to detail, consideration for your audience, and plain good manners. The problem with chat abbreviations is they are not standardised, like language is. Your abbreviation (that is, one you regularly use in your circles of family and friends) may not be one I share. Thus, reading your post, studded as it is with a mind-boggling variety of butchered words and phrases, becomes like an entirely new and unreadable language for me. It is not a question of people refusing to "learn such words", but rather, people preferring to write as they were taught, in a way that is understandable to everyone (or most).

The other thing that abbreviations do is impede reading speed. A lot of readers of the forums skim through entries until they find something that catches their eye (it's impossible to read fully through everything, with all the new, good stuff posted here every day). A post written in shorthand, with no regard for the conventions of language or grammar, makes skimming very hard.

I've often given up in total despair upon trying to read a post that is written in unintelligible shorthand, and worse, I often assume that someone who can't take the time to compose a well-written post may not necessarily have anything worthwhile to say. That may sound like I'm just being a pompous snob, but the reality of it is, just as we are judged by our levels of hygiene, neatness, and cleanliness in appearance, our levels of education and intellect are judged by how we choose to express ourselves.

As for the whole world being behind such forms, I'm not sure that's strictly true. Anyone who cares a jot for the sanctity of language and believes in writing or speaking with style and flair would hardly resort to such abbreviations. If you're writing an sms and you're pressed for time (or your fingers hurt), or if you're chatting online with your best friend you've known for 20 years, then maybe it is appropriate to use such familiar forms. But if you're writing for a general audience, more conventional forms are not only appropriate, they are necessary. Besides, I've always been suspicious of doing something "just because everyone else is doing it".

Dcsekar, I hope this has given you some clarity into the motivation behind this guideline on IL. At the end of the day, no one here can stop you using the kind of language you want to (within reason). But I hope you will appreciate that this guideline has been created by the administrators and moderators to maintain the high standards of these forums. Oh, and I'd love to hear a counter-argument to all of this, so those of you in favour of shorthand, go on and explain it to me!

Ansuya

2 people like this.
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ansuya,
    A lovely post, very well expressed thoughts.
    I am an old-timer as you all know by now. To be frank, I do not understand SMS or chat style at all. To understand when one writes 2u or gr8 is far from easy for me. I cannot help a tendency to skip such posts.
    Our expressions reveal our personality. In a global forum, we must project our best to maintain harmony and make our writing enjoyable. The language need not be "flowery", but the thoughts have to be conveyed effectively, in good language which can be easily understood by old and young alike. Readability with comfort is the main criterion.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

SMS style and chat type posts bugs me a lot.It makes coherent reading tough.I second Ansuya and Chitvish and all others who are for a clearly written post.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

me too ;-)

Ansuya :thumbsup:thumbsup

7. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear IndusLady,

I willdefinitely ensure not to incorporate any Chat or SMS style words in my posts in future. Apologies for using tho' and altho' a few times,

Padma

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Ansuya

well-said. I do not understand sms style posts, it irritates and me and I quickly skip them.

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Chitra Ma'am

Thank you for the kind words about my post. I haven't had any direct interaction with you before, but from my reading of some of your posts, and all the lovely things that the other ladies of IL are always saying about you, I have gathered that you are a respected senior member of IL (who is a star cook!). I admire the way you are able to express yourself with the clarity and sensitivity with which you do. We should all be able to put such a deep level of thought and good intention into our posts.

Supriya, Nandhu and Sundarusha

I'm glad you agree with the gist of my post. I don't want to appear like a snob or elitist, so I do appreciate your seconding these sentiments. I know I'm getting old now, but I'd like to think that things like style, attention to detail, and accuracy never go out of fashion!

Ansuya

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Chithra aunty, very well said. I must say that I am guilty of using some words like that when I was really, really new, :hide: just because everybody else was doing it and I wanted to be a part of the community. Silly me, I know! But then I realized there are a lot of other women who don't understand when we use those words, and felt left out of the conversation which I think is qute rude. I really do support this policy on IL.

Raj