No Chat or SMS style words please!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Induslady, May 12, 2008.

1. sudhirakumar

sudhirakumar Senior IL'ite

Dear Malathy and the team of administrators,

I am sorry to tell this. No doubt it is the best website i have ever seen but I found many tamil friends postings in tamil language which we cannot understand being a Telugu lady. I feel very sad about it..Many conversations in mother tongue might not be understandable for others. So i think this has to be avoided or write the English meaning in brackets beside that.

thanks sudhiraBow

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Malathy,
    A good move.I use few of the abbreviations mentioned.I will try to be careful in the future.

3. Preethi Patnaik

Preethi Patnaik New IL'ite

Dear Induslady (Malathy)
    Thanks for the latest update, :idea will be more careful in usage. Its so nice to read that IL is a repository I like your vision. We really enjoy all the forums and yes sometimes don't understand posts not in English. So translations next to them will be a good idea for uniform reading.

Best wishes and all thanks for such a beautiful platform for all of us to interact. Its amazing and there's something new to look forward to everyday.

warm regards
    preethi

4. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Most IndusLady..

Thanx for the efforts you take for maintaining the dignity of the site.... im lilttle bit confused now.... Can I Continue posting my poems in tamil in this site ....please help.....

love
    brindha

5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL'ites,

Thank you for the support for this announcement. I know that you all would like to maintain the quality perception of this site. In that token, I have a request for you. If you see some member using chat or sms style characters in their note, politely provide them a link to this annoucement. You can private message them if both of you have that facility. I need all your support in getting this imbibed in the culture of this forum.

Yes. I think what other members are pointing out is that in general discussions members should avoid using Tamil or other venacular language. If they do use it, the members should provide a translation in English. This doesn't apply to full and full Tamil poems/stories.

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathy,

:exactly:I think what you say is true.These days school and college children use more of such shortforms in all their chats which is very wrong. In future they will forget the actual spelling.Witsend Now a days they started sending mails like that. RantReally I am worried about that. I will not use sms language even for sending sms or emails.
    It is a good move from your side. Thank you for guiding us in a correct path. :hatsoff
    Actually I want to say one more thing here. After you created new IL status, Many ILs started answering like this to complete 50 posts.
    "Waaw very nice thread", 'thanks for sharing", very good thread like that, with out reading the thread. How to overcome this?

7. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear malathy,
    gud that i saw this thread. i will make a note as i have been using shortforms!!!will make sure it doesn't appear in my posts again!
    regards
    pavi

8. jezz_nish

jezz_nish Senior IL'ite

hi
    i'm glad this matter has been raised.actually i'm one of those who uses the sms style a lot,but i'll try my best to avoid it as much as possible in the future,actually i'm finding it hard to type without it,but i'm trying. i too believe its not a great habbit and it also reduces the standard of our langauge.

its so common and easily infectious,but let us all make an attempt to change it for good.

take care ladies
    jess

9. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Induslady,

I was little worried about my poor knowledge in understanding and remembering the SMS/Chat terms for communication. As a result i have started practicing it by using them in my mails but not much.But now no more worries.Thanks for bringing it to our notice.Will surely mind the usage of such terms henceforth.

10. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear M'am, This is really very nice to bring forth and I am sorry If I have mentioned short words anywhere and sure I will keep that in mind and type promptly ... Thank you M'am... Bow... Regards, Suni ... :)