1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Next door shop Vs Supermarket shelf

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by nemesis, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Where do you choose to pick-up?

The seemingly gleaming, temperature controlled, vividly illuminated Supermarket shelf?

Or from the friendly neighborhood kirana(maligai)?

Usually, vegetables and fruits from Kiranas are fresh, procured from daily market. The surface may have dust, sweat of the toddler, etc. But a proper wash will eliminate all of it.

Supermarket stores too procure from the daily market, but they stock the vegetables in cold storage. The vegetables that you see in the shelves may be weeks or even months old.

Choice is yours.

543447_419979418050026_822996606_n.jpg

Picture from Facebook.

7 people like this.

2. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

nice write up! and i agree. buying from these vendors will too help them earn their well being, this way we can help & promote their income!!!

3. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi nemesis,

I really like the way you have said it...
    I think which we need to think about...
    I also wsih to add my view...

I normally get veges from the local shops near by and when I goto the market I get it from the people who put their stalls on the ground...

But I have seen this attitude of people in the market where they bargain so much with these people for reducing the cost... I can understand if people who need to make both the ends meet arguing but those can afford to give an extra 2 bucks to these people also do such a thing...

I once went with my neighbour to the near by market, she is filthy rich (i.e they have a car(4) each in their house)... She was bargaining with a lady who had a year old child for just Rs.2 for one bunch of greens... I was shocked for her this 2 bucks is nothing ... When I asked her why did u do it she said just for the sake of bargaining she was doing it, and gave the worst of the logics in this world...

I normally dont bargain with these people and give what ever thay ask, as I am doing the same in the big shops like reliacne and nilgiris where things are very costly, even if I give the extra 2 bucks what I bought will be cheaper then what I get in these shops...

I might get a lot of critisism but just my thought not sure if I have put it the right manner...

Regards
    Malar

5 people like this.
  4. lakshmisathish

lakshmisathish Bronze IL'ite

fantastic........
    good thought...
    eye opener...

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I am all for the vegetable vendor...not the gleamy and shining supermarkets. Quality is the same. We buy vegetables from a vegetable vendor who brings vegetables in his cart and they are so good. Why should we make already rich business houses richer and richer? Even if we buy one bunch of coriander or some spinach we have to stand in the line for payment. We can buy as well from our vegetable vendor. Groceries also we buy from our street corner shop...we give him the list and he sends them home and we give a tip to the guy who brings.

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I would rather buy my produce from the local sabziwala instead of going all the way to the supermarket. In supermarkets all the veggies are washed and kept on shelves in refrigerated conditions therefore they are green to look at any time of the day!
    And then of course, standing in the queue for billing....well, if one tends to be a supermarket shopper then am sure he/she does not know the small fun that we get from bargaining with our local vendors!!! Of course, these are more of moments to laugh at and is a part of our routine. We come back smiling even when the vegetable guy reduces a rupee or two!

7. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

Good thought. I also wants to change my attitude

8. SamidhaRS

SamidhaRS Silver IL'ite

Cool Thought....:thumbsup
    I get veges from our subjiwalas only.
    but for other groceries, I go to the supermarket, will try to change this habit.
    Thanks...

9. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

I get veggies always from small shos near by as they are too fresh and the sho keeers are also very friendly

10. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

i am buying veggies in local market.. which we call in tamil as "sandai" from fruits to veggies.. there too some are there who make profit not for living.. I interact, i bargain, i compare and pick it how my grand ma does and my mom does... i have never bought things from malls... especially veggies..