1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie readers at IL, Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Gayathri47, Oct 5, 2010.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi issuvpm,

Welcome to Book lovers forum :)

Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself here, like what are your interests, what kind of books you like, etc.

Looking forward to see more of you here :thumbsup

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hello everyone:

I am not a newbie reader at IL neither am I introducing myself for the first time in IL but as a book lover this is definitely a first!

The first books I read were Enid Blyton's from the library I think - my brother teased me that I read EBs more for the pastries mentioned in the book than for the stories themselves - it is such a long time ago that I have begun to think it's true:rotfl. Then ofcourse, it was Nancy Drew and Hardy boys. Later during college it was Jeffery Archer, Sidney Sheldon, Ayn Rand and whatever I could lay my hands on in my uncle's library - magazines, Kannada novels, etc. I even managed to read a few of J. Krishnamurthy's books back then!

While I didn't really give up reading while my children were young - it was more of what was suitable for them and for sometime crafts took up a lot of space - so I caught up on craft books.

While in the UK for 3 years recently, I caught up with my reading in a big way - thanks to the lovely local libraries there. I read biographies, autobiographies, fiction, travelogues, cookbooks, books on gardening, books on knitting, stumpwork and what not. Since then, there has been no full stop to reading though I avoid fiction simply because I cannot put down a book on fiction until I finish and that sometimes means late nights or very little sleep!

You can now find me start with a book and at a given time, I will be reading 2-3 books, finishing them at my own pace which can sometimes be months as well:)! One particular book called Survival of the sickest (fittest??) - I read for 1.5 years. I'm glad I finished reading that book since things half done stress me out:bonk!

That's all - I have written quite a bit. But thanks heavens for books, what would we do without them?

Sindhu

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this forum! :hiyaHope all of you are in the pink of health :)

Anyway, let me start by telling you what reading means to me. Reading is not just a hobby or a habit for me. It's more like praying- a ritual activity that I do daily without fail. Books play an essential part in my life. I always have a few books next to my bed-which I make it a point to read before I doze off. There's a whole shelf of books in my study which I treasure more than my cash and jewelleries; there's a rackful of books in all the rooms in my house including the living room and kitchen and there's a couple more books in my car which I read through while waiting for my mom to finish her shopping. So yes, reading definitely plays an important role in my life.

I don't exactly remember when I started to have this "craze" in reading. As far as I remember, I've always been an avid reader. Some of the best part of my school days were spent in the school library. I remember being crazy of Sweet Valley Twins & Friends and Enid Blyton's books (with Malory Towers series and The Enchanted Wood being my favorite childhood books!)

As I grew to my teenage years, Mills & Boon became my most favorite companion. That lasted only for a year or two til I discovered more romantic novels under the writings of Judith McNaught, Susan E. Phillips, Jude Deveraux, and the likes. Paradise by McNaught is a wonderful read to those who loves romantic novels. In fact, McNaught remains as one of my favorite authors due to her heart-rending tales. A warning to those who never read her novels but seems to be planning to. No matter what, do keep a box of tissue beside whenever you read her books. Believe me, you will definitely need it.

Though romance is my first choice of reading, I'm equally fond of family dramas and cultural clashes. Amy Tan, Chitra Baneerjee Divakaruni (whose Sister of My Heart is my all-time favorite novel), Jhumpa Lahiri, Vikram Seth are some of the authors that I can pick as the best candidates for this genre. Ironically, all of them are Asian writers which shows where my heart lies at the end of the day.:thumbsup

Historical and mystical novels are also my favorites. I don't think anyone could have thought about writing on these two divisions without having read Mahabharata. For me that is the thesis that all historical and mystical novel writer should and must look upon before even venturing into their own writing. Apart from Mahabharata, I'm equally in awe of Indu Sunderesan's novels based on Mughal empire. The twentieth wife is an amazing read and left a deep impact on me. Salman Rushdie's Midnights's Children is amazing as was his The Enchantress of Florence. Nevertheless, I didn't find his Satanic Verses to be tasteful and this is not due to the controversy surrounding the same. In all manner, I just find the novel to be a big bore for me.:hide:

I would have loved to write more but I just realized that the post is long enough to put half of you to sleep. Am terribly sorry about it. Will try to be a tad more interesting and short in future. :) Til' then, see you guys around!

2 people like this.
  4. lathalakshman

lathalakshman New IL'ite

:hiyahi girls,

i am new to IL and a book lover too...i use to read a lot..my first choice is romantic fiction NORA ROBERTS,JUDITH MCNAUGHT,LATVYRLE SPENCER
    I tried some philosophical too like ALCHEMIST..but it takes lots of patience...mainthing i cant stop reading before completing,cant put the book down. so all works will be pending. Nowadays dont know why lost iinterest in it...i read JOHN GRISHAM,ROBIN COOK,NORA ROBERTS, JEFFERY ARCHER and some other. i like all the books but sometimes feel nothing new in the pattern so keep on changing. Nearby no library or friends to discuss. i like slight romantic and somethings like chicken soup stories a lot.
    i want to know more about other authors also,pl inform
    so i can keep reading

lata

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. laks11

laks11 New IL'ite

Hi Sofea - Your post just sums up my views. Books for me are equal to breathing. They are as precious rather more precious than jewellery.

Hi Everyone - all the posts in this thread are so interesting and informative. You have given me lot of info on other books and view points. Thanks all.

Take care
    Nagalakshmi

6. laks11

laks11 New IL'ite

Hi Lata,

Try reading books by Debbie Macomber, Jude Deveraux, in Harlequin books you can read Super Romance or Harlequin Special Edition. You can also visit the pages of M & B and Harlequin and read the " Online reads" section. Those stories are short and sweet. Hope this helps. Keep reading.

Take care
    Nagalakshmi

7. swathika

swathika Junior IL'ite

Not a newbie to IL nor reading but def new here..
    I started reading young ! somehow picture books never interested me as I wanted to spend a lot more time reading a book ! I started with Chandamama magazine and slowly graduated to old classics ! Wuthering heights and pride and prejudice remained a fav for long ! Then moved to Sherlock Holmes and completed the whole set ! then started my tryst with Archer and Sheldon and completed their books. Moved on to Ken Follet and Robin Cook and then Crichton and Grisham. Continued to read the English authors all through my school and college life with a few RK Narayan's in between !!! I now read a lot of Indian authors and moved from novels to SHort stories as well ! recently read a couple of translated Katha prize stories and amazed by the rich literature that we have in India. Also read some translated works from Kalki which was awesome ! currently reading a lot of management and some biographies !
    Would welcome ideas on what you liked so that I can try and see if I can get hold of that book !

2 people like this.
  8. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum. :) I have started reading only from the past 3 years. The first book I read was One Night @ Call centre by chetan Bhagat, then preceded with Shoba De`s book & The Alchemist, 3 Mistakes of my life. I was quite impressed with Chetan Bhagat`s writing and so could not stop reading all his books :). Recently I completed reading 2 States & Five point someone. I was every impressed with the writing of Chetan Bhagat especially in 2 states. Its very interesting. I am interested to read books like romantic stories.

9. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

I am an avid reader and usually read almost anything that comes in my hand, sometimes even Portuguese newspaper:) if i cant get anything! (Portuguese is the local language of the country i am living right now)

I would like to share how my love for books started in childhood. On every birthday of mine my dad used to give a book as a present. it used to a special book, expensive ones about our gods and religion. then when i was in 9th class, my father bought me membership of a huge library that was near to our home. And finally, when i entered college, my sister gifted my a membership to British Council. Thats how it started and still books are my best escape from the monotony of life.
    My most favourite ones belong to classic english literature like Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Emily and Charlotte Bronte etc.
    I like to read any book that satisfies my curiosity about a particular person, place or era like right now i am going to read Shackled Island by Robert Guest which tells the causes of African continent's poverty and Escape from hell by Gaddafi.

10. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Wuthering heights and pride and prejudice remained a fav for long ! Then moved to Sherlock Holmes and completed the whole set !

Hi Swasthika
    Your journey is very similar to mine!