1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

newbie in gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by gentran, Mar 21, 2010.

1. gentran

gentran New IL'ite

Hi all
    i require your advice as i am very new to gardening.. I Love to have healthy plants around me.. Last year which was my first summer in US i tried growing herbs like mint, corriander, tulsi and peppers . I have very little space to grow i dont want to disturb the lawn . i have bought Gongura and chikkudi seeds from India I even wanna grow Tomatoes. I have a big patio with lots of sunshine. please tell me which of them shall i grow in pots in Patio and which of them to be grown on Land . and please tell me which soil shd i use for pots . We stay in East coast so please keep in mind the extreme temperatures in winters. I am even planning to plant a rose which yeild lots of tiny roses[ for puja purpose] im not sure abt the name . Please tell me which would be the ideal rose to be grown outside and which can sustain the winter weather . :bonk

2. gentran

gentran New IL'ite

eagerly waiting for your inputs

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I guess you have to go for annual plants rather than biennials or perennial plants..

Roses are good ones because during winter you can prune them and put mulch around them to save their roots and again during summer add manure and they would grow back...

Other roots like peonies and dahlias are also good

You have check the kind of plants you can sow as per your zone. pls check google for the area/zone your city falls into and they also give the lsit of plants you can grow.
    USNA - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map: North-East US

Check which zone is your city in..and search for plants to grow in that zone
    Tomatoes and beans can be grown in pots and after winter starts you can just remove the plant totally and again start the seeds indoors during the last frost and plant the seedlings outdoors once summer starts.

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Vidya ,

I came here the this forum searching on the same topic, as i understand u have a good knowledge about gardening.... can u guide us which soil to use for container gardening? Last year i growed some roses,basil,pepper,Tulasi,Mint and Rosemary in my patio. Since the winter was harsh in East coast this year only rosemary survived . I want to start doing it all once again.

I used Miracle gro potting mix last year and it gave a very good bloom and yeild. But i happened to read in one of your post .... u mix potting mix as well as garden soil.... Can u please brief me about that.

Also i am intrested in Tomatoes and eggplants this year, Can i grow them in Big Pots? Please help.... Also i m little worried am i little late in starting the gardening?

Thanks
    vaidehi

5. smitarubinsson

smitarubinsson Gold IL'ite

vaidehi
    Tulsi, basil, pepper are tender plans and cannot withstand frosts or snow.

Rosemary and roses are hardy and will survive frosts and snow.
    To see if your rose has survived just scratch the surface of the plant if it is green it will start growing soon. You can prune (cut) the rose quiet hard back and it will grow and make more flowers. add general fertiliser at the base of the root but not too close.

You can sart sowing tomatoes and eggplants seeds for another week (mid april max) may not get a good crop if sown any later as the frosts will start setting in.
    Plant them in the biggest pot and only one plant per pot. when a plants are about 10 inches tall.
    You can start feeding the plant with a high potash feed every two weeks but only after the first truses (flowers have set) if not you will get lots of leaves and not much fruit.

6. smitarubinsson

smitarubinsson Gold IL'ite

gentran

All the plans you suggested can be grown in pots, tomatoes, corriander etc are tender plans and will die in the winter. mint will grow back once the weather warms up.
    Most roses are hardy and will survive the winter. Even if they are kept inside the light inensity in a normal house is too low for it to flower throughout the year.