1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

New York City Photographer for Matrimonial Biodata

Discussion in 'Indians in Long Island' started by pnkj, Dec 15, 2009.

1. pnkj

pnkj New IL'ite

Namaste,

I hope this is the correct forum to post my concern.

We are currently seeking a groom for my daughter. Since we have received requests for her photographs, I am trying to look for a professional photographer in the New York City area - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc.

So far, the home-taken photographs of my daughter simply do not do her justice (she's a pretty girl, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her father!).

Google is unable to help find what I am looking for. We would like a photographer who not only can take excellent photographs, but who also has costumes to pose in, i.e. traditional indian dresses, jewelry, etc. As if she is posing for a Bollywood shoot (only traditional Indian). If professional photography can help someone like Kajol look beautiful on screen, it will certainly do wonders for my daughter who is a classic Indian beauty.

Kindly advise.

2. iamdesi

iamdesi New IL'ite

In my honest opinion,with all the Hi-Fi cameras which are available to ordinary people ,a photo with an ordinary camera is all that is needed. The photo should be clear and the photos should be coherent. Thats all.

Please keep in mind that what your daughter needs is a man who understands her,not her beauty. Of course,the photos should reveal that you are serious in this marriage issue,i.e,photos of your daughter in a party or with friends should not be included. A pleasant face is what all they need. If you look at matrimony profiles some would have specified(He wants the girl to be very fair,very beautiful etc. Or our son is very fair,very handsome etc). Believe me, please don't ever go for such profiles. Some people are naive enough to expose their narcissism(love of oneself) and prejudice towards color; If the guy and his family is good,they just want the new entry to their family to be simple and intelligent,healthy and fit. So please look out for such people

I am just around your daughter's age.
    Even my family first tried forcing me to the studio,getting pictures of me in different costumes etc. But I vehemently opposed since I hold the belief that simplicity is another name for beauty. So finally I gave my parents two photos taken during my college days during my farewell party,Diwali celebrations etc,ie,I was neatly dressed and I looked normal and pretty:)

I hope I don't look like I am advising someone but I am giving my honest view

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

You might ask coworkers or friends where they went to have their family portraits done. Even if the photographer is not Indian, they will still be able to capture the best shots of your daughter using good back drops and professional lighting. Believe it or not, my mom brought her cat to a professional photographer for a portrait, and the cat's picture looked awesome just standing their naked in its fur coat! Taken at home by us the picture would have looked 'average', but the photographer made the cat look a prize winning animal! :rotflDon't be scared to use a non Indian photographer... just make sure you get a few customer contacts of theirs so you can check how satisfied other people were with their work. Another option for Indian photographer is go to the local Indian grocery store. There are tons of Indian magazines, and in the back there are advertisements for photographers. Again, make sure to check their references or ask to see a sample of other portraits they've done.

You might consider buying a few nice outfits for your daughter to wear and keep. Reason being is, the clothes a photographer has on hand might not be the right size, fit or color for your daughter. Plus, if your daughter is able to pick her own clothes, she will be more confident on camera and that will shine through. AND suppose the groom likes the picture so much he asks your daughter to wear the outfit again! :thumbsup

There's no need to get an outfit costing a billion bucks, even simple one will work as long as the color, style, and fit flatter her.

Also hope you don't mind if I give my opinion.... have your daughter look happy and confident in the photos. So many times I see young lady's portraits and they are told to look shy, not smile, or hide under a veil thrown over their head so they look 'super traditional'. I have discussed with many of my guy friends and also my dh, and they all feel those shy/sad type of poses are not attractive.

ONE MORE THING.... nothing ruins a picture more than unnatural make up. Make sure the make up matches your daughters skin tone.... don't use make up that is too light or too dark... it will come out looking strange. If money isn't an issue, you could even get a make up artist to apply the make up, or if your daughter is good at it let her do it herself. Another option I've seen brides on a budget do is go to the local mall and have the make up ladies do their make up. They will make your daughter really pretty using their products and it's all FREE (of course they would like you to buy at least one thing from them for their time :)).

'Iamdesi' mentioned something very good though.... about showing pictures taken in a natural setting like a party. I personally feel those are best. After marriage, I saw some professional portrait pics of my husband, and boy, did he look strange! Wasn't smiling, wasn't wearing the clothes he typically wears... looked more like a funeral picture! Probably if I had never met him and was just looking at that picture, I would never have been interested in him! :bonk So you see, a bad picture can do more harm than good.

Ok, those are my tips!

4. pnkj

pnkj New IL'ite

Namaste,

I am touched by the concern and compassion expressed for my daughter. Of course, I want to find the best groom possible, and she should be happy. And we go for the human qualities of the groom,, not his skin color, caste, etc.

My daughter is a natural beauty, and she expressed that would like to wear something similar to what meenakshi sheshadri is wearing in the song Jab koi baat bigad jaaye from the movie Jurm . I feel a professional portrait, (as opposed to home-taken photograph) will bring out her best qualities. It's certainly worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010