1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year Resolutions-2018

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by VaniVyas, Jan 1, 2018.

1. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

New Year resolutions

Today face book status and messages and flooded with people mentioning about their aspirations, their dreams or goal and posting it, so that it can remind them of their tasks ahead. Whether they can be successful in achieving their dreams or no it is a different story. So people are busy joining health clubs, practicing yoga, waking up early, reaching office on time, pursuing their old hobbies, practicing time management, learning new words, cultivating reading habits, improving cooking , learning new dishes, new language, new course, saving money, avoiding junk foods, wat not J

So what are your NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS FOR 2018??

I anyways did not post this thread to invade your private settings, my point was to express my personal opinion on the same. For the last three years, my New Year resolution was very simple and I have been highly successfully in doing the same. I was and is still able to achieve my targets by 100% and have never NEGLECTED OR found it extremely difficult to meet the expectations I set forth for myself. Well, to cut the matter short my resolution was/is, “NOT TO FALL TRAP TO THE WHIMS OF THIS SINGLE DAY AND TO REMIND MYSELF NOTHING HAS ACTUALLY CHANGED IN MY LIFE EXCEPT MY BODY SIZE AND HAIRSTYLES”. Having realized this my days from Dec 25th to Dec 31st is not lost in updating my profile pic with a thank you pic and the first week of Jan is not lost in forwarding new year messages to all the contacts. I also don’t punish myself by brainstorming my mistakes and identifying the lost opportunities which would have made my life better. Instead, with passing year and age, I became more matured, stronger and less bothered which makes me carefree about what others feel about me, less worried about the backages of the past and accept myself.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@VaniVyas long time.
    happy new year. i have no new year resolutions.

24177EAF-2FB1-433A-9EC4-FB81CB650CBA.jpeg

something that sums up things for me. I keep doing what i have been doing for quite some time. working at being a better me..!! everything else falls into place..

nuss, Jey and VaniVyas like this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Exactly. People writing long posts in FB thanking better half and parents, sorry messages, compilations of pics.
    Each day is supposed to be good and as you said it will fall into place.

Thyagarajan and nuss like this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A resolution not to make any resolution itself is a big resolution.I think most of the people
    are fine at it.We need not sqeeze our non existent brains as to what resolutions to take, which we may be able to fulfill etc etc.Let us face the problems then and there bases on our conscience,common sense and experience.
    jayasala42

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful @VaniVyas
    Glad to know that you have made small changes everyday and are seeing results.

I have gone through phases of making and not making New Year resolutions year after year. This year I have resolved to alter a couple of habits. I think I can do it.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful 2018!

Thyagarajan, Jey and VaniVyas like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Glad to see you with a snippet in the New Year. Happy New Year to you and your family. Nice snippet.Glad to knowyou have achieved 100%. I never make resolutions and take life as it comes.

VaniVyas and nuss like this.
  7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

No new year resolutions . But new day resolutions , every day . Make a list of "To-Do -Today " , stick it under a magnet on the fridge and try to tick off as many as possible . If 75% of it gets done , it s a good day and i go to bed happy.

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

(1) Write better.
    (2) Write sense.
    (3) Write precise.

If (1), (2), (3) fail, rewrite.

And breaking the rule,

I wasn’t a resolution person in the distant past. However, I loved the focus last year, therefore continuing the resolve from the immediate past, that is, since 2017.

(1) Improve my writing. Fix grammar. Write more personal emails, personal chat-up, personal essays, whatever form — but, fix those subjunctives, parallel constructs, coordinating conjunctions, comma placement, restrictive classes and so forth. Be conscious of grammatical blunders in my writing. I have improved slightly in my progress report but another year or two to fix the stubborn solecisms and rinse my writing of non-standard English usage.

(2) When people assemble references, links, recommendations to read/watch up, make an earnest attempt to follow up with them on such friendly tips. Last year I watched three unbelievable movies: Unsinkable Molly, Silence and Fitzcarraldo. Ensure that I source such good recommendations from movie buffs.

(3) In 2016, I didn’t even know properly the difference between Freudian and Jungian philosophies, but in 2017 I have read the developmental psychology and cognition theories of Piaget and Binet and Winnicott. Stay connected and grateful to people in 2018 who have taken out time in their lives to incite me with the trajectory of novel and passionate reads. Someone once asked, why climb Mount Everest? Someone else replied, because it exists. Similarly, why read the works of such thinkers? Because someone took the pains to write them up.

(4) In the past, I conjured up sketchy resolves. I will do better. Soon enough, I realised that such missions are too diffuse for any concrete results, hence, reload the same objectives with tangible and goal-oriented focus. I will cultivate better reading habits henceforth (past: sketchy resolve) by reading the contemporary non-fiction recommended in Guardian book reviews (present: streamlined resolve).

(5) I also realised lately how people and groups and their pointers are vital for personal growth. Even Dante needed a Beatrice! People just don’t change your thoughts, they reform the way you think. Once you have found such people, hold on to them for life.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Good thread. Happy New Year Vani

Not a new year resolution but a personal goal for this year is to invest time to learn a new skill. Any language ( for human or machine interaction) works.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Making resolution is easy, whereas keeping it up is too difficult for me. Hence no New Year resolution.