1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year Resolution

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am one of those blessed with some planetray configuration- if I say I am going to do something, it will never happen. Another version of nuNalaum than vaayal kedum.

Anyway, my New Year resolutions start from there since here I am telling you all what I am going to do.

1) Give up all superstitions like the one above, RahuKalam. I am sure these have proven effects but I am going to hold myself outside their gambit.

2) This one is grand. Every week, I kick out a bad habit and pick up a good one. So, God willing end of the year, I will have 52 bad habits less and 52 good ones to hand. Even if it ends up being 2 bad habits less and 2 good habits acquired, I will be happy.

3) The regulars are there- exercise more, eat/snack less, watch less TV, less internet,do not drink coffee before making my bed-----

4) On a wholesome basis- have more postive thoughts, resume my singing and piano lessons, stop feeling victimised, ignore some nasty people-----

Here is wishing all of you a Happy 2008 and more power and grace to your minds and New Year Resolutions!

2. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi Anandchitra

i was thinking starting a thread about this but u were faster than me.....

mine would be telling people around me what i really think about them instead of being a doormat.

bye and happy new year .......

3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Till now I have never made any new yr resolutions but this thread prompted me to make one too....:idea

All this while I pamper everybody in my life.It is a common notion in our circle 'if u want to relax,stretch ur legs and get pampered then go to suji's house'.

So this yr I want to pamper myself :queen .I will take a break and concentrate on myself,my health and happiness for a change.Its my turn to get pampered :whistle

Gud luck girls,lets keep track of our resolutions once in a while!!!

Suji

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Very nice thread Anandchithra,
    For me, resolutions have usually worked well. I’ll share my secret. See if it will work for some you.

I prioritize my wish list and make a schedule for it. I paste a printout of the schedule in my closet. For example, if I want to do a variety of mind and body health related activities like pranayam (breathing exercises), meditation, dance, walking/some aerobic workout then I set days and time for each one of them because it is impossible to do every activity on every single day!

So say Mon,Wed, Fri mornings I do pranayam. Tue, Thurs, morning I do meditation. Sat, Sun I go walking in the morning. And one day a week I take the dance class. This division of activities has worked out for me quite well. This way I am able to accomplish quite a lot.

Here’s my list –
    • Personal development -
    · Acquire a new skill (I want to learn the Salsa dance form)
    · Read at least 3 good books in the year
    · Revive meditation and pranayam routine
    · Learn one new sport in the year
    · Take 2 full days off in the year from work and routine chores. Use these days for rest, relaxation, self-introspection, any other activity that rejuvenates me
    · Prepare 2-3 new songs every quarter (I like to sing)

• Family life –
    · Take days off from work on birthdays of kids, hubby and self. Make this day truly special for the person by doing what he/she truly likes to do.
    Here, if the birthday falls on a week day, usually that day we just follow the routine during the day. Only in the evening we cut a cake and may be have dinner outside.
    I want to change this celebration and do what the birthday person truly likes to do on the actual birthday. Sometimes it may not be possible but birthdays are known in advance so with due planning I think most of the times I can be successful.

This year I took the day off on my son’s birthday and did whatever he wanted to do. We went to the park for 5 hours with his favorite foods in the picnic basket, he rode his bike around the lake, went on the slides and swings in the park. We ate a happy meal at McDonald’s. I cannot tell you how much he enjoyed. He did not even care much for the gift we got him.

The following are reminders that I keep for myself every year J
    · Remember to avoid nasty and negative people. And remember to think long and hard before reacting to any of them.
    · Remember to always assert my views for things that are important for myself, the family, kids, and my life in general.

Alright. Enough from me. All of this sounds quite daunting already!

SS

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Great Replies Ilites

To each his own and its so interesting to read everyone's replies and plans.. dreams.. and aspirations..

Lets all hope and pray that we each of us reach our goals and destinations or just walk thru life as it comes in a peaceful way.

Happy Happy New Year 2008

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi AC,
    Wish you all a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2008..........
    You reminded me abt my school/college years where we used to write essays/articles abt our new year resolutions..........those resolutions used to be so grand that even seeing them make people believe that these were not meant to be followed.........as for example: we will spend some 14 odd hours in reading.........we will be loving to our smaller siblings...........we will quit fighting.......gossipping......etc........etc...........
    For whole of my educational years I made tons of resolutions and never able to follow all of them for a single day...........for me habits die hard..........
    So, when I enter into graduation, I had decided not to wait for a day to plan some good things.....so for me, I used to make resolution irrespective of any particular day and I find its helpful also; because I had to follow one thing on a day rather than remembering a whole lot of dos/don'ts............
    Once more...........Wish you all a Very Happy and Blasting New Year.............
    Bye............

7. Anandchitra

Dear friends
    I have to modify my resolution now..I thought i'll give it a try for the past few days but not been successful..so I am breaking down my resolution in two..I will spend more time in my puja room and when I am successful in that i will then start to meditate..
    Also feel like stealing some good ones from others..
    We should remember to revisit this thread and compare notes after a while to see if we ever got started or dropped halfway or going steady??

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC,

I am reading more, talking/spending more time with my kids. and health i am taking more care...why to wait for the new year...any day is a good day to start....
    yes we should come back to this thread say after 1/2 months to see if resolutions are strong or have frizzled out...

9. Anandchitra

Shanthi Dear
    Thats exactly what I thought too..

But resolving to doing something and actually implementing it is very different.
    I wanted to read more that I am doing..but sitting for longer time in puja rm getting difficult..i guess over time i will get it

Do you discuss the books you read in some forum?please let me know so I can join too.
    Thanks

10. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

thinking to lose weight atleast by 10 pounds in 2008!!

looking to learn any of the following (swimming or salsa dance or improve my managerial skills etc)

regards,
    sreelata.s