1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year Resolution

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends
    New Year 2008 is around the corner. Does anyone have the habit of making resolutions ? New Years Resolutions??
    I have heard that losing weight is considered a very prominent New Years Resolution. So are other things like going for a walk or not smoking or watching less t.v and such. One of the things about this resolution is that it gains a lot of initial momentum and then slows down as rapidly and then FIZZLES away..
    I have been through my cycle of resoluions. so many many different ones. But they all shared a common theme and that is exercise and/or losing weight. During the course of this year unknowing to myself my husband nudged to me exercise daily by joining me for company. So now like it or not its become a habit.
    So I have a totally different New Years Resolution and I'm hoping this one would stick for a longer period of time.
    My New Year 2008 resolution is to Meditate. I would also like to increase my prayers and praying time. Now I am realy praying that this will work and not fizzle out.
    Would others care to share thiers if they have one?

2. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Re: New Year's Resolution

Hi Chitra,

I also want to meditate for this new year. Hopefully i will keep it up and it won't fizzle out. How do you control your mind from wondering different things? If you have any tips on it please, share it.

3. Anandchitra

Dear Madhu
    I dont have any tips I am newbie as well. Just want to spend more time in prayers and in my puja room
    nowadays just like other things i rush thru it..really want to sit down and pray ..

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,

happy new year to you.

This year without any resolution, i have tried my best to give my 100% to all things.

I don't believe much in the concept of resolutions as they frizzle out without practice...

but this is what i am thinking for the past few days...after retrospecting myself again....

1.want to be a better mom to my children,
    2. taking my health seriously..(because I teach my kids, never to abuse your body in anyway, to be healthy...so my neglecting my health is equal to that.and have not practiced what i teachbonkbonk.).

3. Read more, laugh more and live life to the fullest...
    4. I love others...but I have to learn to love myself also.
    so this is what i want to practice in the coming days.....:queen

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi AC,

Sorry to butt in.

madhu,
    ..check out in cheeniya's rambling, in one of his thread, lot of things about meditations were discussed.

first relax and allow it to wander. then with practice you will come to a point where you are totally relaxed with yourself...and can seek out your inner self..

happy new year...and all the best for your meditation.....

6. Anandchitra

Dear Shanthi
    I am planning to steal some in your list :queen

Happy new Year 2008 to you and family too

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha AC, it is a known fact that new year's resolutions are made to break!!
    Well, I guess I should not be throwing cold water on everyone's aspirations...I am sure that there are many out there who keep their resolutions :)

As for me...I will try, try very hard, to better myself...read more and kiss my grandkids more...:)..That should not be difficult...!!!!

L, Kamla

8. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Very good thread...
    I am in habit of making resolutions and sticking to them too..
    For me, i will have these resolutions..

-- Become Mom next year... :queen (God willing,We plan to have kid next year)
    -- Hone my managerial skills for a job switch.
    -- Follow my first love more rigourously.. Thats to read more books, more current affairs and more technical stuff.. I am supposed to love reading..But Job, wifey stuff..keeps me distracted all the time.
    -- Do something towards my passion of writing. I want to take some online course for some script writing or a professional writing.

I guess that s enough. I know it already looks too overwhelming for me...

Best Wishes
    Ria

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites,
    Happy New Year to all of you in advance!!!

As far as my resolutions goes:

1.Join Yoga class and practise it too..
    2.Find some time to Practise my gone-away music...(carnatic)
    3.Acquire more knowledge about my work
    4.Learn to do all my work quickly....drive out laziness...

Hope at least i will fullfill 2 or 3 out of this if not all!!!

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ac,
    I do not make any resolutions, I decide and implement at any point of time. I do not wait for the dawn of 1st January. Why live with a long face of breaking the resolutions.. better not make them... What say... :coffee:coffee