New Year Resolution Contest for January 2009

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Vrinda,

Thanks for your entry. Such a noble resolution indeed, keep it up in the years to come too.

2. deejan

deejan Senior IL'ite

Hi Laxmi

Every year we take some resolution, but I am afraid hardly some people follow it strictly. Hence my first resolution is

1. Not to break up my following resolutions for any cause thro'out the year.

2. Preparing lunch at home and giving my hubby daily. The thing is I came here in 2007, and was doing this job till I got preg. Now I have a daughter 8 months young, and only me, hubby and child here. Hubby starts at 5 10 in morning, so I get up at 3 30 am and prepare rice with sidedish for him, sometimes I feel so tired as I feed my child whenever she gets up at night in sleep, but inspite of that I am taking to do this all the year. May be simple wish, but big for me.

3. Not to spoil my mood. I have decided to divert myself in to creative works, whenever I get angry. Have decided not to think over and over the issue and spoil my mood.

4. Earlier I will not talk to my hubby if at all I get angry over some issue, and keep it within myself, but now I have decided to solve issues then and there with him, as I dont want my mood swing to affect my family anymore. Ofcourse its me who fights always over small small issues.

Thats all for this year,
    Wish all people in the world live Happily and Peacefully in their Life.

Janani

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hi Mods,
    Here's what I achieved and failed to achieve in the year 2008:-

My New Year resolution for 2008, well can even call it as a test to my perseverance, was to loose weight. It’s the most difficult task in the world, as for me.

Ideally I started my weight loss journey in 2007 Nov/December, but I was doing it with controlled diet and my own diet chart. In Feb 2008, I made up my mind that unless and until I go to gym and workout and give some serious thinking on weight loss like taking up a professional help; I wouldn’t achieve it.
    So with great difficulty I joined the gym at my work place, making sure that I still finish off my work and spare 45 mins time at gym. I had to coax my fellow worker to adjust schedules so that I can utilize my break time to go to gym. He agreed and was helpful. It was no mean feat to achieve. Controlling the temptations and managing body pain and work was so very hectic. I was so very determined about this whole thing and…. I sweated the fat out of my body and showed its way out.

The pain of suffering will always bear the fruit. In July 2008, I was able to achieve the near to ideal weight and my dietician certified that I’m fit and well within the BMI limits!!

I consider this as one of my greatest resolution and achievement. :thumbsup

The one that I failed to achieve was to learn car driving. My DH wanted me to learn to drive so that I can be mobile. But I kept postponing saying its waste of time, no time...etc. Finally I said I’m scared to drive and put a full stop to it, which I think of now as bad.

So this has entered my 2009 New Year resolution list. Hope to achieve it.

4. sangk76

sangk76 New IL'ite

Okay here I go...

Its okay to set a goal and everything for one's personal life as every year dawns, (and I have been through so many Goal Setting / Review procedures myself in my career/work), but the best lesson I learned in 2008 is - by doing so and hardly working/trying to achieve it, sometimes we lose ourselves in the process aiming just at the goal and forgetting to enjoy the simple pleasures of life... At the dawn of 2008 I too had some hard and fast resolutions - but I learned that I had to accommodate changes to those resolutions as different things take priority in life.. I started taking 1 day at a time, enjoying the current day as much as I could with my kids - doing simple things that meant a whole lot to them and to me too. Please note I am not saying you have to be at home mom and just keep going out with your kids everyday to achieve this. I am 100% working mom too, yet I have changed my work style that helps me enjoy life/family just as much I enjoy working. It was much better to end each day recollecting at how I made the day better for my kids/my family/ friend and those around me. By doing so every day, at the end of a week, I was satisfied at how much I had achieved, though those things did not exactly align with my original resolutions. Finally at the end of 2008 I can still say that I achieved over and above what I resolved at the beginning of 2008. And to me - achievement means living the day to your fullest satisfaction - what you think is "right"

And come 2009, like others, I will have some goals too - like losing weight by blah blah.. etc.. - but I will always remember that for eg: losing weight goal need not be a self-centered one, I will always look at ways that will help me achieve the goal by keeping my family/kids/neighbor anybody I care in my mind - for eg: by playing actively in your own backyard for 1 hr a day with your kids .. or by joining a fun weekend Beach Clean-up volunteering activity in my city..

..hey, after all we are humans and social animals.. and we got to do what we love... and got to love what we do :)

-- thats my humble few thoughts and plans-----

5. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

Hello,............
    A person's life depends on controlling the mind. To avoid unnecessary imagination, which become the root cause for every problem, and which spoils our life. I took a resolution to control my mind and direct my mind to act in a proper manner, listening to my conscience. Though i took the resolution, i could not put it into practice because of environmental happenings that might be accidental or out of false prestige of others..I had to necessarily break it as the external environments have contributed for breaking the resolution, added with my own exaggerated imaginations. I have now come to know how to look into reality and in 2009, i am confident that i will keep up my resolution and translate it to reality....
    Thank you.....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi Lakshmi,

I am in middle age now. By last year only i have started to learn violin though my mother is a violinist. I have not realised the fruits and peace of music in my childhood. now i have started to learn vocal and violin etc., and will achieve soon.All credit goes to my hubby only for his continuous encouragement in all the above.

Thanks and regards,

Raji

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    My New Year resolution for many years was to lose weight. But as happens, it never happened. Then, it bacame a necessity that I lose weight, to keep myself healthy and avoid surgery. Let me explain.
    I was 52 kg when I got married in 1987 and then went on to be 79kg by 2007. Over that, my windpipe got narrowed due to my neck becoming thick. This caused a lot of problem for me-I developed sleep apnoea. This is a disorder where the person cannot take in ample amount of air during sleep and this results in less oxygen for the body. This caused drowsiness in day, headaches and lethargy. The most difficult part was heavy snoring. Difficult for others who happen to share the same room ,rather house or rail compartment while travelling. Others cannot even close their eye lids due to my heavy snoring.
    The snoring also created more problems at home, hubby would wake me up in the middle of the night and order me to go out of the room as he cannot sleep. Then again, I am deprived of sleep.
    At this juncture, I decided to take the reins of the haywire horse of my life strongly in my hands and consulted a dietician, recommended by an ILiite. Before that, I got assurance of my husband and son that they would support me in this venture. I met the dietician durng the last days of Dec.06 and geared up for the task on the first of January, 2008.
    It was really difficult at first to prepare different food for myself and the family, it meant double work. I had to prepare the fruits and vegetables for salads etc. and also cook regular food for others. It was difficult when we went out, I usually ate only idlis or oothappams with sambhar.
    Going for walks was also testing on me. I used to find excuses for not walking. Then I got an idea. I fixed my wedding photo in the kitchen, in which I looked so good and this motivated me no end. I also bought a readymade dress and would try it from time to time, to see if I fit into it. Slowly, the hard work started to give results. My scale started to come down when I weighed myself. I did not feel happy then, only when people started to notice my weight loss and asked me about it, I felt really happy that I am losing weight. That itself was motivating and I continued my regime well.
    Then came the damper- Deepavali. I gorged on sweets then, then again fell into the diet. It was ok when I did not eat sweets at all, but once I started, it was difficult to stop.It is the otherway with walk- once you stop, it was difficult to start again. What an irony!
    Now, in Jan.09, I can proudly say that I was successful in keeping my resolution. I have lost 12 kg and am looking well also. My snoring has reduced so much and headaches have vanished. I feel happy to meet old friends and bask in glory when I get compliments for the gracious weight loss. Even my regular dermatologist has certified that my skin is looking absolutely fabulous and I look good.
    This year too I have taken a resolution to continue this change in life style and food habits and lose another 12 kg, gradually. Also, I plan to concentrate on losing the great paunch I have and to increase my resistance and lung capacity. I am to take up some more exercises for this and also alter the diet too.I have done the consultation with the dietician and am on the way to achiveing my goal.
    I would like to mention that ILiites has given me the motivation, advice and guidance in this weight loss. My friends here have encouraged me no end and applauded me when I have acheived this weight loss. I thank them all here! And I am sure that they will be with me further also.

People ask me the secret behind this weight loss- my answer is 'determination and hardwork'. And I realise it again that there is no short cut to success and no gain without pain.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. nandbala

nandbala New IL'ite

Hello,
    First of all a very big wish for a prosperous and happy new year to all.
    Well, my only resolution this year and from now on is to greetings to everyone on every special occassion!!! And frankly, this is the first time i've ever made any resolution for the new year. Otherwise i normally make up my mind about something and just go about doing my best to achieve it.Seeing the topic for this month made me think , yes it's a good idea as the advent of the new year is certainly a good time to decide on certain goals to achieve which would make one look forward to the year ahead.On this positive note i end, making up my mind to resolve to make new year resolutions and strive to achieve them.
    :thumbsup
    Nandini

9. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

The buoyant happiness that I wished to spread

Dearest Laxmi ma'am :) (addressing after four long months feels heavenly);

To go down the memory lane always trickles the happy moments and gives me a set back as I stepped out of college and was exposed to this raw world at large tearing away my blanket and cocoon.

On January 1st 2008, i repeatedly confirmed to my own self as to how I will bring about that tinge of happiness to the womb that expressed to me Her love and dedication in my up-bringing. Yes, with the dawn of every new year day, i promise myself that I will receive my mom's smile at each and every stage of my life. Sounds simple ? Remind you its not ! The year haunted me my final day at college and my work atmosphere. I did not get a call from the company in which I got placed (through campus recruitment; though a global phenomenon due to IT ramp downs and financial crisis) I walked in for the post of HR in another MNC and after successive mind blowing interview sessions, here I am typing the same as a Program HR ! It was a Sunday (30 Nov 2008) evening when i was returning with my mom from our routine Bhajan activity in bike, told her to stop by the nearby ICICI ATM, took her in (her first ever ATM visit in her fruitful 50 years of life-time); drew cash, went to a textile shop, selected a silk-cotton sadi of her choice, grabbed her fist and took her to another mall where we shopped a divine two feet bronze made Perumal (Lord Govinda) idol, gift wrapped the same, reached home, held both my parents hands and prostrated before them handing over their valuables !!!!

Yes, my first hard earned "Salary" was dedicated to whom I call my god and goddess !! The fruit on hand was my mom hugging me tightly and saying those few words that will make any child on earth fly with the wings of bliss on clouds nine - "you made us proud being your parents". The bouyant happiness that I wished to spread on both their faces on 01-Jan-2008 reflected through their smiles on 30-Nov-2008.

I now know that I have fulfilled my resolution with "100% resolution" which came through as a result of 6 long years of hard work. Yes, i realised what was expected out of me only when i was in the tenth !!

Thanks & Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

10. AkilaRam

AkilaRam New IL'ite

Hello madam,

I have always taken new year resolutions and never have followed till the end of year not even for a month. But this year i have planned to follow every step to achieve my resolutions and henceforth i have kept everything in my reach .
    *As of now i am a home maker (proud to be a home maker ) but at the same time, i certainly have some more free time so that i wish to use that to work from home (some online job).
    *I have put up weight after delivery and i have planned to reduce at least 7 kg by this year end and i have stopped eating fried items.
    *The third one is to cook very healthy dishes and keep my home spic and span ...(have set automated reminders for cleaning one item daily)
    *The last one is to be a very good friend for my smart little angel and of course a very best wife.
    I believe that i can do ..

Thanks
    Akila Ramganesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.