1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year Eve: A Different Perspective

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Jan 1, 2019.

1. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Interesting perspective ! The new year eve celebrations in many parts do go overboard, especially when it takes place in a crowd or huge gatherings. However, to my mind celebrating New years eve is more to bring in the New Year exactly at the particular hour i.e at the stroke of midnight when the New day and consequently New Year actually begins. There is a lot of positivity built into it in the form of New hope and good will towards all by sending out Wishes to everyone. Heres Wishing you and all at IL a very happy and fulfilling New year.

Thyagarajan, GeetaKashyap and kkrish like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Geeta,

I wish you and yours a wonderful new year 2019. This greeting is not intended to emphasize the need for new year celebration. I truly had a hearty laugh reading Satchi's response to you.

Everyday is the beginning of the rest of our lives. Sankalpa is something you develop over a period of time with will and good thought when we understand our purpose. Resolutions made by peripheral tool like mind need to be empowered with enormous energy with the support of our consciousness. Any resolution towards right living will succeed only when we are determined to promote it rather than expecting the world to fall in place in order to fulfill the resolution.

You have started the year with a great thought and I wish you a very engaging year 2019.

3. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Definitely, nothing changes in our daily life, oh oh hold on, I thought the gas prices have been shed by a big margin, and the govt employees are assured of an increase in the DA, but yes apart from that it means nothing to me. Nowadays, this day gives a license to young people to indulge in excessive drinking, partying and aur sare mauj masti. Even our driver and cook took a leave for partying.

As far as taking resolution is concerned, only the weak people wait for New Year day to begin their mission.

By the way, Happy New Year!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hey Geeta @GeetaKashyap
    What is this.. .you are making my brain work, early morning on New Year's Day with serious questions?! :D
    I had just resolved not to think at all, just to give my brain a lot of rest in 2019! Ha one resolution broken already!

New Year resolutions have been serious business, not commercialized at all, since about 4000 years ago when Babylonians took a wow in frontbofvtheir Gods to retun objects and get out of debts.

Also for the Romans Janus was the God that they invoked before starting anything, similar to our prayers to Vinayaka.
    Hence they started the New Year with January named after Janus, which also represented out with the old and in with the new.
    The Romans also made promises to Janus in January.

Yes, we can start a change any time of the year, no one is going to object.
    We also make resolutions after certain incidents or certain experiences.

I love making New Year resolutions because it is lot of fun.
    More so because the life of these resolutions is the shortest and therefore no pressure at all.
    See below for confirmation.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

So my New Year resolution is this:

images.jpg

download.jpg

Pictures taken from the internet. No affiliation to any

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Geeta,

Like Kamala @kkrish says you had us our thinking cap on first thing in the morning, especially after all that partying! Just kidding; only about the partying part though. We had a quiet start as well. I am not a resolution person, in fact you ask me to do something and I end up doing exactly the opposite. So resolutions and I don't go hand in hand. Despite that, I do kind of New Year's eve immensely, more so because it seems like a universal festival and dawns at a point and like on cue, as each part of the world wakes up or strikes midnight, there is celebration. How amazing that is! When some part of the world is done and ready to sleep, another part is picking it up - it is like a celebration chain reaction and no agenda attached to it - religion, culture, custom what not! anything that universal, I will take it!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Amica, Sinant, satchitananda and 2 others like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If in some way, forwards of Happy New Year can be stopped from landing in my email inbox or whatsapp, I am listening. : )

Finally, all forms of new year celebration effectively mark a date in the earth's journey around the sun. Chinese, Hindus, Muslims, Jewish, Parsees etc. celebrate their religious new year and the January 1 new year. Christians celebrate only the January 1. Along similar lines, some people celebrate two 'birthdays' or like we called it when young - my home birthday is on ... and my school birthday is on ... When filling up form for class X or XII exam, teacher used to remind us to enter "school" birthday. Some of my FB friends get wishes on two days on their page.

Amica, satchitananda and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear @joylokhi,
    That is so true. The spirit of the day prompts all of us to make it a priority to greet our near and dear ones. My thoughts were around its continued relevance and my mind fantasized some magical rejuvenation or a deeper significance.

Have a happy and prosperous New Year!:thumbup:

joylokhi likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

@Viswamitra Sir,

Well said. On 31st December, when I had gone out, I witnessed the festive spirit around; youngsters zipping around on bikes without silencers, the young women heading to party venues in flowy multilayered dresses along with their formally dressed partners and many single and married middle-aged men making a beeline in front of the spirit shops (to buy the festive spirits)!:tongueclosed: This prompted me to look for the real significance behind the hype.

Have a great year ahead!:thumbup:

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

@Tamrakshar,

I agree that a common man continues to live through yet another year with basic aspirations. I fantasize a magic cocoon or a chamber through which we could pass through on the New Year eve and emerge renewed physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually! Well, it remains just a khayali pulao!

Have a fulfilling creative year ahead!:thumbup:

10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hey geets
    Lovely write up.... I don't understand why we need to wait for a new year to become a better person.
    Resolutions can be made anytime and followed.... Why wait for a new year to turn a new leaf... . This time my daughter asked me, mumma we have closed our doors and windows and still we hear people shouting outside, why are they doing like that. .. Why are they saying happy new year and everyone is looking so happy, are they acting mumma.. ... Well for few seconds I was speechless, not knowing what to reply to her.... I replied to her, every one is different and people have their own way of celebrating things, to which she told that's OK mumma but our celebrations should not disturb others.... Maybe she is right, I agree with her.

Amica likes this.