1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Ways Of Being, Indeed!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

There is enough food in the pantry. I don’t know about toilet paper though :kissingclosed:. Schools are off. I have decided that we will put in all our efforts and time into our yard! Maybe I will have my dream yard this year! Even better, maybe I will have that dream of my whole family working together in the yard come true, this year. That brings a smile.

I clearly hear the birds. It is so quiet that I am learning to recognize the various sounds – you know the same sound at the same time, everyday! Perhaps it is the yet to be filled bird feeders or the gently flowing water in the pond or those twigs that are dry that they need for their nests that bring them into the yard morning after morning! I don’t know. I love the sounds and I want to see them and give a face to the sound! I open the patio door, and tell Toby “look, birds!” he prances off to the outside world like he understands me!

I head out to the gym as usual. I am greeted with an empty class, but the substitute is on her bike and a smile breaks on her face seeing me even as my heart sinks! Lone spinner! Don't love the attention! The instructor sounds louder than usual and the music even louder. As I head home, I wonder. Classes are going to be cancelled anyways. This waking up so early to work out has been a habit of mine for over a decade now, well more. That is not the point. With no classes, what do I do? I realize I need to be motivated to get up anyways and get productive. May be an early morning walk?

The beautiful picture of a beach is serene. I long to be there. But I also realize the serenity comes partly because finally it is not trampled upon so much – by us, the world travelers, the thrill seekers. Another article pops up about how fish and swans are returning to the canals elsewhere. I look toward the skies from my window and wonder if the skies are clear too, of too much air traffic? Sky reminds me of God and my thoughts wander. Are places of worship empty too I wonder. Are they enjoying the solitude in their abode now? The gods I mean! Thoughts turn to my grandmother who always encouraged us with “God is where we worship her” urging us her grandchildren, to bring the same serenity to home with who we are, by being our better selves. After all, home is where the heart is and learn to keep that heart happy was her mantra. I smile and look up the net for an old Kannada song that describes the same beautifully! It indeed has been ages that I had listened to movie songs, searching for them! How joyful is that feeling.

I think of my friends who are in a perpetual hurry. Racing to do this and that. I think of all the times I do that too. That sense of we are doing something, something valuable. There is no doubt we are. But have we forgotten what it means to be quiet in all that running around? Have we forgotten how the earth and the skies, and the water feel when they are quiet? Vacations have become staycations and my DD says this break is being referred to as caronacation :flushed:..…very verbose I think but as I think of the uncertainty of the break from school, I want to borrow my friend’s newly punny/funny take on the virus and cry “aisa mat karona!” please, to the universe!

I watch my kids trying to come up with activities that keep them entertained. I am amused. It is fun to watch them get bored, watch mindless TV, get bored again, play their instruments, get bored and do something else and get bored – again! I wonder how we entertained ourselves when we were children with the limited resources we had. My memory does not come to rescue. So, all I do is watch gleefully as my kids learn that skill of tackling boredom and yet trying to be productive and enjoy the stories my students tell me as I interact with them online.

My kitchen has been busier than ever. While I am trying to cook fresh and on demand basis, I realize I am spending a lot more time in the kitchen – an act I have always enjoyed yet I make a mental note to put a reminder that the kitchen closes at 10 pm. I hear compliments to my cooking at least once a day. There is no competition you see! That little plaque hanging claiming "mom's kitchen" is finally true. It is mom’s kitchen and that’s it! I am making new dishes, experimenting peacefully and not rushing around, enjoying the cooking! I make a mental note - perhaps I should keep a food log - not a blog, just a log! Perhaps another log on some much needed self-discipline in an unstructured day, well days!

I look at the weather report. More rain in the forecast! The trees are ready to bloom – I see buds ready to open. A flower is smiling here and there on the ground! April showers bring May flowers, and don’t we all need those flowers, that sunshine and happy days again? I get it. It is still March. Hey, but one can hope for early showers, flowers and sunshine! Can’t we?

We as humans are social beings. Now we are forced to be ‘social distancing beings’ and that in between time when we had suddenly became mostly 'social media beings' is getting to be handy now is what I think when I come across this post that is making rounds –

upload_2020-3-18_0-10-20.png by Kitty O’Meara

May be the universe is reminding us, asking us nah telling us to slow down, smell the roses, enjoy the families, friends, neighbors and things that matter.

Perhaps we have a chance to see what that namaste of ours that is taking over the world as a greeting truly means and pause to see the ‘human’ in others and in us as we learn new ways of being indeed.

PS: Just a few days of work from home and this :facepalm:. It sure is time for me to start that log to help not blog such long ones here. If you have managed to come here, "Thank you as always for reading!".

Kamla, satchitananda, mindwar and 8 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes; seeing the 'human' in others is verily part of considering the Covid-19 as a helper, a new relative entering our own microbiome as an in-law virus, that is going to help us evolve and be a better human.

Being and Nothingness --- people don't mind being a being; it is the nothingness plausibility that worries them. They don't want that evolutionary transformation to be too quick, too personal, and so sudden. That's what all this hulla balloo is about.

shyamala1234, Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A fantastic dramatic monologue.
    Reading this, Here I revelled revealed with annotations as below.

forced stay at home may not bring smile to all. But working women are happy. They feel more at home. Naturally that would bring a smile.

Toby too must be enjoying more of your presence and happy to spot the birds with you.

It’s akin to empty auditorium to singer in rehearsal

God given gift this moment less pollution less carbon print more ozone in air perhaps

Otherwise seldom we have moments with God I mean think of Mother Nature & her bestowing us with bounties

God is also omnipresent. He is corona virus - 19 too. He is i you’re Post. He is in FBs that you get in this thread. In my response too. A great opportunity to make humanity to realise His reach & power.

I enjoyed reading this line. That reminded my son over phone when I told him to take care he responded “carina say darona math”.

I too introspect and guess that we hardly had time to get bored with despite less or no resources that we realise now not then

Family must be a happy lot - when served fresh food - not warmed up again and again meaning better nourishment and opportunity to try different recipes without haste to get to eat tasty warm food just made. Refrigerator less filled less openings more life.

it might washout & extinguish virus from space letting more vegetation grow and bloom.

Exactly. That adds to positivity. People forced to think of real innocuous joy, connection, relation & neighbourhood.

Quite true. Coronavirus made the world to turn toward meaningful scientific beneficial Indian culture & ethos.

But then , I trust you would tend to post more than ever because of leisure that you are compelled to enjoy at home thanks to corona.

it begins and concludes with a smile - I mean your post.

GOD - as did for Ramanujam, you would reveal to our scientists in dream to find remedy for virus malady.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Srama likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you @Amulet for your response!

This is something I have been contemplating on - what are we when we are stripped off of all our identities, when we are forced to realize that we may or may not be that important. Even as I work from home, my thoughts often circle around how to keep my students engaged, motivated and to be self disciplined, thus assigning myself a role! And how do I keep myself motivated to keep others motivated? It is quite interesting to observe oneself and others.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir,

Thank you for your warm feedback quoting lines that touched you. I did not realize that I had started and ended with a smile. Thank you for pointing that out - that indeed made me smile. Come to think of it, we do have to teach ourselves to smile and often right?

I certainly hope not to post too much. You know I wonder if write a snippet when I am upset or when I am happy and it is difficult for me to pin it down for I do not know how my state of mind will be with this shut down. Not all monologues are interesting. I am planning on using my lens more and take pictures.

I have been a home maker for many years by choice and relished every moment of it. It is the family that has always been oot and aboot and it will be interesting to see their reaction. DD is already bored and is missing school already. DS is trying to do some manual work literally like building things, helping friends paint their houses and DH, less said better :) Friends busy re organizing or literally have nothing to share. Social media is filled with the current situation.

Seems like we just have to give a new meaning to productivity - how do we keep happy, calm yet feel useful and productive. Have we felt useful only when we touch others' lives? Now how do we touch our own lives positively...right?

You are right! Monologues they are going to be if I write .....:biggrin: :biggrin:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I quite agree from view point of motivation.
    I remember that song in your previous blog of purandara Dasar Keerthana
    In dhinave shubha dhinave in raag : Suruti
    Let us treat this day and every following day as good and auspicious day
    (corresponding Tamil verse
    "nanRe seyga nanRum inRe seyga, inRum innE seyga " etc - ie, do good, that too today, that too now!).
    The quote of kitty O’meara In the post is just your mood.
    Thanks and Regards.
    GOD is Mother Nature & remedy for all maladies.

Srama likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

What a delight to read your snippet to overcome the anxiety caused by Corona (I really enjoyed reading the line, "Aisa math Karona"). Your daughter's mind is accelerating with new words such as "caronacation". Toby must be happy to see everyone at home especially when all living at home is also involved in his usual activities in the absence of anyone at home.

I really enjoyed Kitty O’Meara's quote. I had a chance to view a very interesting presentation and I am giving below for your pleasure of viewing.

It took me back to the speaker who spoke in our spiritual center a few years back. He was explaining what was happening in the minds of Draupathi when she was about to be humiliated in the Court of Dhirudarashtra. First, she was thinking of Lord Krishna as "Dwarakavasi", the Lord immediately rushed to Dwaraka and when she prayed to him as one in "Brindavan", the Lord rushed to Brindavan. Only when she called upon him as "One who is the indweller in my heart", the Lord showed up in the court.

Very wise words of wisdom here. Maybe this is the way nature is telling us to refocus our attention on what matters the most in our lives.

We are going through the Anam Cara book review and I remember this invaluable quote:

“Beannacht / Blessing

On the day when
    the weight deadens
    on your shoulders
    and you stumble,
    may the clay dance
    to balance you.
    And when your eyes
    freeze behind
    the grey window
    and the ghost of loss
    gets into you,
    may a flock of colors,
    indigo, red, green,
    and azure blue
    come to awaken in you
    a meadow of delight.

When the canvas frays
    in the currach of thought
    and a stain of ocean
    blackens beneath you,
    may there come across the waters
    a path of yellow moonlight
    to bring you safely home.

May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
    may the clarity of light be yours,
    may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
    may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
    And so may a slow
    wind work these words
    of love around you,
    an invisible cloak
    to mind your life.”

― John O'Donohue, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom

He uses the word "transfiguration" a lot in his book. When I contemplated about it, I came up with the following about life's mission:

"My purpose is to transform my configuration into transfiguration".

Stay healthy.

Viswa

Srama likes this.
  8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,

Your snippets are a breath of fresh air .
    I feel I suddenly entered a serene calm world from an utterly chaotic place.
    Like a much needed break from all the overwhelming anxiety we are surrounded by today.
    As always beautifully penned.
    One more thing I want to share is, kept this snippet for my bedtime read and saw this in new threads section and headed to my evening walk. Unknowingly I started enjoying the bloom of flowers on the trees, the breeze of unpolluted fresh air and I was reminded of you and your thread. Thought I should get back and see what beautiful thoughts Srama has shared. :)
    A good read as always ..

Srama likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,
    After reading your snippet a picture post card flashed in front of me....you and your family working in the yard, humming a song enjoying spring. Go ahead. Rarely one gets such an opportunity now a days with a fast life.Nobody would think about work and just being..!Enjoy the moment.
    Yes ..nothingness is scary sometimes. We want security of a cocoon though it is hectic. We know what lies in store. But now!!!!
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you @Thyagarajan sir!
    I don't know how familiar you are with kannada language and movies - there is a song called "maneye mantralaya, manase devalaya". While I don't remember the movie at all, I do remember listening to this song on the radio. Must have made an impact on me for it came to mind now :)