1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

New to knitting and want to learn it for my new babies to be!

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by suganvijay, Jul 30, 2013.

1. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear ILs,
    With gods grace I had conceived twin babies and now I wanna do something as a token of love when they arrive to this world. Instead of buying a sweater or socks, I wanna make it myself, even if not so perfect atleast a try would make me satisfied! Can any of you give me ideas or how to start with this beautiful hobby! I have no prior learning in this! Pls pour your thoughts if I can learn it now and make atleast a socks or a small shoes for my bumble bees! TIA

1 person likes this.

2. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sugan,

Congrats and take good care. Though i dont know about knitting but thought of wishing you luck :)

3. suganvijay

Thanks vsharma! :) I hope someone helps me!

4. suganvijay

5. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Congratulations. There are lot of sites and youtube can help.
    knitting.about.com

First start with a baby blanket. Then go for a hat. You get some yarn and needles. In google search learn to knit. It will refer many sites.

Once you learn how to knit a stitch and terms associated with knitting you will get better understanding. Socks are little advanced. You have to be familiar with few items before socks. Best of luck

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

congrats sugun

i have seen lot of people here in il pick up crochet easily, and very very few who learnt knitting. both are equally easy if you are passionate about it.

you can learn a few stitches in knitting..you can do booties rather than socks..for the socks heel part is worked differently.

Learn to cast on well, then learn garter stictch..that is knit along.. you can make a lot of things with just this one stitch.
    Knitting: How to Cast On - YouTube

you will need yarn, knitting needles. you can start with no.10 and the medium length ones..then as you learn and move to other patterns you can buy more needles.

you can also check out crochet. see which you feel will be easier and comfortable to work with.