1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

New to Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sss, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

you can take it outside too

Thanks AC for the reply,sorry today only I saw your reply.

2. Jayani

Jayani New IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Finally I made it......i planted cucumber and tomato plants last weekend...and also sowed tulasi seeds and methi seeds......
    Everyday in the morning i go and give them a small peppy talk, I water them, I pamper them...... :))
    Now a question, since past 2 days, its raining here, hence I didnt put any extra water.......AC do you suggest me to keep my plants indoor till the rain stops??.......Rain is on and off and also did see some sunlight yesterday....and today morning again it rained and now its fine......sorry for asking such silly questions......I want my plants to grow, hence..........

3. Jayani

Jayani New IL'ite

Hi Cheers......
    You can get good seeds from Raithu bazaar, my brother who lives in Hyd. always buys seeds from Raithu bazaar and the plants grow well....
    Happy planting :)

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello
    Sorry I did not see this earlier.
    Please take it indoors if the pot is small and the rains are heavy. Or atleast keep it under a roof like garage.
    No question is silly or small etc. Please do not think so. I do not know all but everyone here replies and helps too.
    Good luck. Very glad you got started too:)

5. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear AC,
    I have sowed some methi seeds...they were doing good & looking healthy...but now they appear to be always drooping even if i water properly.The leaves are looking reduced in size.What could be the reason?Could that be the scorching summer/pest attack/lack of nutrients?i dint add any manure till now.Since i had no luck with Tulasi seeds i got a Tulasi plant from farmer's market.Should i provide any special care for them?What manure should i add?(hope i have given you enough trouble with my questions:crazy)

love,
    ammu

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ammu
    No trouble at all:)
    Methi seeds - do you want to keep it in shade for a while and then slowly move it outdoor for a short time?
    Water plants only when they need them.
    Most plants just need some sunlight and water. Once in a while miracle grow can be added to.
    Hope I have helped.. not sure.. do keep us posted:)

7. soumyasen

soumyasen New IL'ite

Dear friends,

I am planning to start gardening. I live in Georgia(Zone 7b).

I am very much impressed and got motivated by seeing the gardeners here.
    But i have no idea of how to start, what do the min. tools i need, how much it's going to cost etc etc....

Just from the gardening thread i came to know that Miracle Gro Soil is good.

To start with, i would like to plant coriander, mint, spinach, green chillies, tomatoes,curry leaves.

Well, coriander is the must.

I would appreciate if you please let me know what all i need to shop for, before i start my gardening.

I hope with all your suggestions, i can have a nice garden.

Thank you...

8. mishri

mishri New IL'ite

I personally found this tip work for me:

I usually soak the seeds the day before I plant into the soil for about an hour, put them in a soft cotton muslin cloth (I used my hubbys old banian hehe) for almost24-48 hrs, moisting the cloth frequently. I saw the sprouts appear in 24 hrs in some and in 48 hrs in some depending on the seed and its nature. Once I see the sprout, I plant the seeds about 1 inch apart from one another.

Good luck!

9. soumyasen

soumyasen New IL'ite

Thank you mishri. But can anyone of you please tell me what all i need to shop b4 i start my gardening and what's the procedure.

Thank you

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Soumya:

To start with, you need seeds, seed trays and soil. You can do without tools initially. Once you have these basics, you sow seeds in the seed trays or you could recycle your vegetable / fruit packing trays. You can even start to sow seeds in egg cartons. Follow instructions on your seed packets, water them seeds lightly and you are on!

All herbs and vegetables mentioned above can be grown in pots and easy to grow except curry leaves which might be a little hard to get where you stay. But if you refer to thread specific to curry leaves you will know where to buy them.

For coriander, you can crush (in your hands) the dhania seeds you have at home and use them. The others you should easily get the in garden shops.

Hope this helps you to get started.

Sindhu