1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

New to Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sss, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear AC and other friends,
    I recently bought jasmine plant from Walmart,give me some useful tips to make it grow healthy.Now I keep it nearby window to get good sunlight amd watering alternate days.

2. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

HI ladies,
    Iam having a coriander pot ,it was growing very well from the seeds,iam watering it regularly,but for last few days it started drying partialy,few plants are fully dried. I dont know the reasonWitsend.My doubts are do i use plastic pots for this plant?(Iam using the plastic one.)Here in LA the temperature went to upper 90s last week.can coriander able to survive in that hot or do i need to move the pot indoor. pl clarify my doubts and save the plant.Thanks in advance.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Mohana
    You can take it outside too..

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

If its drying it needs water.. maybe water twice a day. Also how big are the plants and do they fit well in the pot.. hope this helps:)

5. cheers_sunray

cheers_sunray Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Very happy to see this thread.
    I'm staying in hyderabad, and wanna start a kitchen garden.
    The monsoon has just arrived and I donno when s the right time for growing the kitchen garden.I mean to say,I wanna to plant corianders,curry leaves and all kinds of leafy veg and also some vegetables like tomatoes,bittergourd etc........
    My another query s can i plant them in pots as I dont have open gorund
    and if yes what kinds of pots should i use.
    M completely new to gardening pls help me.........

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Cheers:

If you look at the other thread Vegetable gardening, you will get a lot of inputs and ideas.

You can start off with coriander right away. One of the easiest vegetables to grow they say is tomatoes, so start with them.

You can grow vegetables in pots as well, one condition would be good sunshine. For most vegetables 10 - 12 inch diameter pots should work. You can use either cement or terracotta pots or even plastic pots. Infact, you can even grow vegetables in big gunny bags!

Hope this alongwith the other inputs in the vegetable gardening helps you to make a good start.

Sindhu

7. cheers_sunray

Thank you very much Sindu.
    I have seen other threads also.
    I have one query, actually rains will be starting in Hyderabad now. Is it wise to start the kitchen garden now or should I wait for few more weeks??????

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

You can start off now as you will only be sowing seeds. Assuming you will sow seeds into pots, place the pots in a sheltered area where they will not battered by rain and once seeds have sprouted give them protection until they are strong enough to withstand heavy breeze / rain, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

9. cheers_sunray

Thank you very much.I'll start as early as possible.
    What abt the seeds?Do i need to buy any specific company or can I buy at monda market,Secunderabad?

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Cheers:

I know only of Namdhari seeds in Bangalore. I am not even sure if they are available in Hyderabad. I would suggest you to check with the local horticultural society / organisation. Or I'm sure if you ask the shopkeeper in your market, he might be able to give you some suggestions. Sorry I cannot not be of much help here.

Sindhu