New Mom With Dry Hair Issues

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by blindpup10, Jun 23, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I am a recent mom and I am having dry hair.
    I have stopped using conditioner and just wash my hair with shampoo. I oil it the night before I take a shower.
    Before my pregnancy, I used to wash my hair once every 3 days, because it used to get oily. Now its like a haystack. To top it, the ridiculous hair loss, although it has subsided a lot(compared to previous months), but drier the hair gets, I am losing more hair.

Is this normal for new moms? Are there things I can do to stop this? How can I get my hair in a better shape?
    Please help

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oil it well for the time being. At least a little whenever you could. That might save a little mess. Hair loss is pretty common after delivery.

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. blindpup10

@Vasumathy- Thanks for the suggestion. I have been constantly applying hair oil. The problem is my hair absorbs the oil within one day and I have to reapply everyday. It is highly uncommon for my body-- In the past.. It would at least take 3 days for the oil to be fully absorbed!
    My question is --- is this normal? My OB told me it will be for few more months and things will get back to normal as it used to be. Is this true?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Hair shedding after delivery is normal. Get your thyroid checked though unless you know its normal. High TSH can also cause hairloss.
    I have been doing the following recently for my hair: wash with a sulfate-free shampoo (I use the Mineral Fusions line), and skip conditioner. Instead, I put a few drops of this hair oil into damp hair and air-dry, no heat. My hair looks good and no frizz. Plain coconut oil should work as well.
    Hair Oil
    It might seem pricey but I use only a few drops each time so a bottle will last me a very long time.

5. blindpup10

@MalStrom- yes TSH came out normal. I did the blood test two weeks ago.
    I will try the sulfate free shampoo. Thanks for suggestion, I really appriciate it. Will update how it goes after using.
    There is harifall and extremely dry hair even with oil! Oil stays for one day maximum.