New here and need help with school hunt

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Sharjah' started by daffy2006, May 13, 2009.

1. daffy2006

daffy2006 Junior IL'ite

Hello everyone,
    First and foremost just want to express my happiness on discovering this site and but of course this forum. Ok....now introduction. My name is Anuja and I'm mother to a 3 yrs old named Seher. I am from Pune/ Mumbai. I've been staying in Sharjah since 2005. Was working up untill my pregnancy that was for about 8-9 mths and ever since I've been a homemaker stuck with household chores and managing ever demanding kid and hubby :) . Also i've not been able to make many friends. Just few neighbours who just keep gossiping and 1-2 from my previous job. Rest almost all are strangers.
    Even after staying here for almost 4-5 yrs i find it difficult to get along with things around . I think i do have higher chances of making friends here and support to vent all that i want to.
    We are also planning to shift somewhere around Al Nahdha/ immigration/ king Faisal street may be 3-4 mths down the line. Meanwhile we are hunting for some appropriate school for my lil one. She will turn 3 yrs old next mth and no schooling or nursery for her as of now. I'm sure all you mommies have already spoken a lot of schools and stuff but I haven't yet figured out a collective opinion of any of the schools.
    My neighbour's son is enrolled in DPS and she keeps on insisting that its a fabulous school. Other day hubby dear came up with Westminster School saying some of his colleagues kids are enrolled there and it provides UK based curriculum. I'm so confused..........:spin......also is it important that your lil one be enrolled in a nursery or a kindergarten before she starts proper schooling or is it just added advantage. And which curriculum to follow ICSE/ CBSE etc.....
    Sorry for such a long post or essay but I assure you once I find solution to my problem I'll post in few sentences. :)
    Please help......and do not hesitate to give any kind of opinion or suggestion about anything.

Thank You.

Last edited: May 13, 2009

2. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi daffy,
    well i guess you are in the same situation where i am. searching school for my LO. i guess you dont need my intro my profile says it all. to start with its really important you first decide which curriculum you want your DD to go. O levels or CBSE/ICSE.

O-levels are comparatively easy with less pressure whereas CBSE and ICSE are more on the tougher side. but depends where you want your child to go. i personally prefer any indian curriculum CBSE or ICSE. reason being that incase i want to send my DD to india to study, there are good CBSE and ICSE schools in mumbai. so that solves half of my tension. now half tension is to choose a good indian curriculum school. well i guess now we are lucky that we have the KHDA approved list of satisfactory and unsatisfactory schools so its become a bit easy to choose.

regarding your child going to nursery.....well its not compulsary but yes parents do put their children in nursery just to prepare them for school routine. if you wish you can directly admit your child in kg1.

hope ive atleast made myself clear or ive been of little help.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. Srividyak

Srividyak Senior IL'ite

hi Anuja

I agree with zeenat. I thnk she has covered everything

happy hunting.

srividya

4. daffy2006

daffy2006 Junior IL'ite

Thanx Zeenat and Srividya for your replies. You've definitely cleared some of my doubts. Zeenat have you decided yet on you little one's school or are we sailing in the same boat?

5. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi daffy,
    you are welcome anytime :thumbsup. actually my DD will b 3 in jun so cant admit her in any of the indian curriculum school. so for now im putting her in a nursery from sept then next yr april ill put her in a indian school. which one thats yet to decide. but either ICSE or CBSE thats confirmed. surely not O-levels as we dont plan to send her to UK or US for further studies. india's the best. what abt you? have you decided on anythg. let me know. tc.

6. daffy2006

daffy2006 Junior IL'ite

Hey wow, my little one will also turn 3 yrs next month on the 20th. And like you even i intend to put her to a nursery or a playgroup around sep- oct after Ramadan may be. i had visited British Playgroup and few others in the surrounding area few mths ago but then Seher keeps falling ill every month or the other. SO her ped recommended not to enroll her to playgroups untill she she becomes 3 or lil older. He said children become naughtier and also fall ill more often. Its better you train them at home coz anyways they'll be in school for all thier lives atleast for the next 15-17 yrs.
    I also dropped out the idea of a playschool now coz we are palnning to shift somewhere around Al Nahdha in 2-3 mths and then again we'll have to change her school. I've been training her since she is very young with her alphabets, numbers, nursery rhymes etc. so not really worried of her lacking behind in anything. But yes, finding and deciding on a school is a real tough task. With so many outputs and feedback you get from others life becomes lil easier but then that thought process still goes on back of your mind. Isn't it?
    How old is your elder one Zeenat? They are such cuties. I'm sure hey are equally naughty and keeping you busy throughout the day. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi again,
    my elder one is gonna be 3 next month and younger one is 1.2mths old. actually my DH is not too pushy abt putting my DD in playschool or nursery coz same like ur doc he also feels that then throughout her life she has to study. so let her enjoy these wonderfull days of getting up late sleeping late. no strict routine to follow. no homework no exams etc etc etc. im least worried abt her alphabets and numbers coz i tend to teach more what she sees arround. rest all she will learn when she goes to school. yes no matter how much feed backs u get, generally tend to have somethg or the other on your mind regarding their schooling. thats whats called parenthood. every1 wants the best for their child. ill admit my elder one in British Orchard Nursery which will commence from sept. just want her to get used to mingling with other kids. and more imp to stay away for couple of hrs from home and mamma.

8. sumerabanu

sumerabanu New IL'ite

hai thr

hello anuja,
    let me introduce myself im sumera.i too am in the same dilemma as u regarding gthe syllabus to be chosen.ive got 2 kids,one is in the grade 1 in leaders private school,sharjah.im not very happy though and would like to put him some where which is more activity oriented.i wanted to put him in o levels but am nadly discouraged by every one .and im now thinking of dps as an option.a little expensive for that matter,and i have to put my younger one too in kindergarten.hes going to a nursery right now,just thought of replying seeing the dilemma that u r facing resembled mine too.any way happy hunting

9. daffy2006

daffy2006 Junior IL'ite

Hi Sumera..... i hope you find a good nursery for our lil one too. Have you tried visiting any nurseries around your house may be that way you'll get a better idea.

Zeenat you are absolutely right on putting no restrictions and giving them their individual time to enjoy for this age. They are never gonna get this time back. And these days children are heavily stuffed with studies and activities at school. SO why burden them now. I too want Seher to get use to other children coz she has no siblings and limited interatcion with few children in the bldng. Probably that way she'll get use to the school environment.

10. rehana

rehana New IL'ite

Re: hai thr

hi sumera my son is also in grade 1 in leaders private school. could u detail why u want to change the school.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009