New comers to UAE- Visit here

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Dubai' started by balamotwani, Sep 22, 2007.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Are you new to Dubai, need Help....

Hi,

I want to start this thread for new expatriates in Dubai:

1) Looking for job : Gulf Newspaper - Appointments Section and classifieds. send your CV by email to many consultants as possible. Websites of so many consultants given in the advt. Lobo Management, jobtrackme.com, bacme, claredon parker, jobsindubai, gulftalent, monster, naukri,......... Other news paper is Khaleej times.

2) Looking for New or used furniture/appliances/household etc : If you are ok with used items, then there are so many websites like dubizzle.com, bazaar.ae, dubaidonkey.com, expatriates.com, gulfnews.com, khaleejtimes.com. Some even put the pictures of the items they are selling.
    For new budget furnitures, sharjah is the best place near Al falah plaza both sides of the road is full of furniture shops, some famous are marbella, pan emirates, royal palace, etc... In dubai you have IKEA, Homes r us.

3) Kitchen items / toys /household : There are 1dhs, 2 dhs, 5 dhs shops in many places in Sharjah and there are Discount centres where you can buy kitchen plastic items, cleaning items, toys etc at a good price.

4) Carrefour / Lulu supermarket : These two are very economical and you can find everything that you want for your house. carrefouruae.com - you can check it out before you go.

5) Schools/Nurseries/colleges/university : There are so many websites for this. Some are even advertised in Gulf Newspaper. Check according to your budget and desire.

6) Driving License : Check websites - Belhasa Driving Institute, Emirates Driving Institute.

7) Shopping Malls to visit : Diera City Centre, Dragon Mart, Mall of Emirates, Ibn Battuta Mall, Meena Bazaar, Karama shopping centre,......

8) Temples : Temples / Gurudwar / Sindhi temple... It is there in Bur Dubai, i am sure taxi guys will know.

9) Extra Curicullar activites for kids : Check Gulf Newspaper Classified in the area you live in. Dubai - Education/courses section.

10) Real Estate to buy/lease/sell/rent : Gulf News paper and other websites mentioned above.

I Ladies, please add to the above list which you think might be useful for the new expats in Dubai.

2. sujatha_siva

sujatha_siva Bronze IL'ite

Hai,

I am sujatha new to this forum. Rightnow in bangalore.My hubby got offer letter in Dubai and plans to stay alone there. If anyone can give me suggesstion regarding the locality(where indians- preferably south Indians) and the food (Veg) it would be benificial for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Bye,
    Sujatha.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Need Info about Dubai

Hi sujatha,

Welcome to il. congrats to your hubby on his offer. the locality of stay will depend on where is his office and also budget, as the travel time in dubai..is unbelievable because of traffic. and food is not a problem in dubai.

one suggestion.post it in the uae forum for more detailed response.

all the best.

4. sujatha_siva

Hai Shanthi,

Thankyou very much. Sure, i will post this in UAE forum. By the way the office is in shaik zayed road and the budget is 3000 AED.

Bye,
    Sujatha.

5. balamotwani

Hi Sujatha,

Go to Indians in UAE - IndusLadies you will get info on Dubai.
    You can check the newspaper Gulfnews: Home Gulfnews:

It is difficult to get independant 1 bedroom flat for AED 3000 in Dubai. But you can keep looking in the newspaper, but many prefer to stay in Sharjah as the rent is low compared to Dubai or he can try for a studio apartment. Anything closer to SHK Syd rd is expensive. But if your hubby has patience and main motive is to save money then sharjah is the good option for accomodation.Many, many people stay in Sharjah even if their office is closer to Jebel ali, its extreme end, but you can save lot of money for sacrifice you do for the time you spend in traffic. Or he can stay in Dubai in Sharing accomodation. Are you looking for family accomodation or only for him, i mean in future? Traffic is too bad as Shanvy says and food is never a problem in Dubai for any expats. You get everything.

Bala

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  6. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

Hi Sujatha,

welcome to IL.. As shanthi stated, post this in UAE forum. u'll get more response. You have lot of veg restaurantsin dubai. Sheik zayed road is a business and commercial location. If your husband is provided accomodation and transportation it is well and good, food will not be a problem, his colleagues will guide him. If you've to find accom then Satwa, deira, rashidiya are the locations where rent is little affordable. You also make your husband learn little cooking bcos 3 times having food in hotel is not advisable and affordable. If you are from typical karnataka, u've even udupi and manglorean style restaurants here.

7. sujatha_siva

Thanks Bala.I will check out the newpaper.He needs only bachelor accomodation.But in case if we(me and my kids) come for vacation, is it possible for us to stay?

Can u described the words bed space, rooms, studios,shared, furnished(what comes under that) etc.

Thanks,
    Sujatha.

8. sujatha_siva

Thanks Bala.

I checkout the newspapaers.Can you explain the terms - bed space, studio, room, sharing ,furnished(what does it comes with), etc. Are all the accomodation comes with the basic features like gas stove, fridge,Washing Maching.

If i choose sharing accomodation is it possible for me and my kids to come over there for vacation?

9. sujatha_siva

Hai suja,

My hubby says, he taught me cooking ya:bang. So lets see how he is managing.Are those places which you mentioned are indian residentials? If there is any pure indian locality please tell me.Or he will run away from there.:wave

Be,
    Sujatha.

10. balamotwani

Bed Spaces / Shared almost same, 1 flat (may be 1 or more bedroom, 1 hall, 1 kitchen or only room with open kitchen) is shared between the occupants sometimes there will be restriction on kitchen so just check, sometimes there may be bedroom ensuite bathroom, so it all depends on advt. Bedspaces means may be one flat is shared by many bachelors having bunk beds, sharing everything having common bathrooms, kitchen etc. Sometimes visitors, guests not allowed in sharing. Just check in advance.

Studio - One single room is Hall, Kitchen, Bedroom plus one bathtoilet. Sometimes there are chances for closed kitchen plus one room and still they call it a studio.

Furnished - It depends semi or fully furnished. Furnished kitchen means Fridge/gas/stove/washing machine... it all depends, you can ask what furnishings available. Hall - Sofa/tv/dining. Its better to go for unfurnished bcos furnished accomodation are expensive, but in sharing its fine.

Unfurnished - No appliances available in the flat. Just the flat.

chiller free - Means your electricity bill doesnt include A/c usage, it is centralised and it is free.

Centralised but not chiller free - You have to pay for your usage but the A/c is centralised.

Gas free - Sometimes the newly built gives gas free means the gas pipeline is provided in the kithen, you just have to connect it to your sove, no need for you to buy gas cylinder.

There is no fixed rule for furnished and unfurnished. It all depends on the owner what furnishings he provides. Also remember, when you rent a flat there are 5% commision plus or no deposit depending on the landlord. Sharing - i dont think so commission is there.

Just check whether the office provides initial accomodation, some provide for few days. If you want to visit with your kid then pls check before if he goes for shring(in case). Do not forget about parking space(if he is planning for vehicle soon). Some are paid parking in the building, some doesnt have parking facility.

All the best.

Welcome to IL.