New Boss Making Too Many Mistakes?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Naari, Oct 31, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

One good way to do this is the following - when you send the doc back for review/approval, just attach the edited version and say: "Mostly minor edits - typos corrected, etc. A couple of significant modifications for your approval." Then flag the few "major" edits prominently. That should focus attention on specific spots, leaving you free to run wild on the rest of the document! As long as you're a confident and competent editor, this will get the job done and avoid hurt feelings and misunderstandings.

Naari likes this.
  2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Hehe . you got a good sense of humour.

Rihana likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dont. Never correct ur boss either in a meeting in the presence of others or in an email. (And u haven't even joined the organization yet. !) Its never viewed kindly in a corporate setting. Seek clarifications wrt to dates/titles/ compensation .But do not 'correct' typos /grammar. Tread carefully.

@Naari To ur first question. Most offer letters are not actually written /typed by the hiring manager. Its usually the HR/admin who takes care of it. Mistakes are not uncommon. He/She should have reviewed but most of the time with so many things on a managers plate things do slip through the cracks.
    Do not judge the man/woman too quickly.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Amica and momsky like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Naari ,

I am not underscoring this particular instance or this website, but, in general, anything can happen online. Be prudent.

Re: work queries, if you absolutely have to discuss work concerns, then have the details obfuscated and the query vague like "how do you manage with a boss whose writing skills are shabby". Keep the narrative generic and austere. Those hefty induction guides handed out on joining the firm have mind-boggling clauses. Again, it depends on your line of work. If you are working in sensitive fields, any casual mention of your work system and client integration will be treated as representational talk from an employee.

I don't wish to scare you. All I am saying ...erm ...be careful ...erm. If your boss has lexical disability that you are not aware of, then, even such offline speculation can be indicted (in spite of you not having uttered during office hours or in work channels) as slur. We have had several incidents where employees were sacked for they lacked discretion in their very casual conversations. Firms heavily invest in HR workshops and controls and policies and ombudsman corners because they want to tackle the grievances promptly with no spillover. Once you join the firm and your trepidation on the work order (client communication) is still valid, talk through proper channels.

I usually don't interfere with matters that I have no knowledge about. But, having known you and conversed with you in Google Doodle thread, I mustered to write back. I am glad that you took it in the right spirit. You are open-minded and expressive and I can sense that you are talented and have a bright future, let not any wayward misgiving jeopardize your prospects. </end of paranoia>

Good luck with your job. Samosa aur chai party kab?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Naari likes this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have mostly worked for behemoth corporates (of the West) with global teams. From my experience, people here are receptive to ideas and subtleties even when they are popped by junior staff. If you are confident and have the ability to demonstrate knowledge or propose rectifications without belittling anyone then go for it. It is your moment to shine, blaze away! But do so with enthusiasm and not pride. However, if you are doubtful of casting yourself with genuine interest and fear that you may be misunderstood for riding roughshod too early at work, then refrain. Can you do it with poise and style? We do a lot of internship recruitment alongside lateral recruitment. The interns are chirpy and brilliant. They come up with bright ideas in meetings. At times, we, the old fogeys, feel that we should take a backseat and hand over the Starship to this yoof-speaking and youthful blood. What am I trying to say? Not all bosses are resentful of the exuberance, freshness and progress within the team culture. If you have the ability to ring in improvements and revisions, do it, but with finesse and modesty.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Maybe corporate egos are fragile. I wouldn’t know. I’m used to editing with gusto. My very capable colleagues know it benefits them, and remain grateful. Obviously, I’m referring to editing things one has a role in - not just randomly correcting emails showing people up or being a self-appointed grammar Nazi.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dude, I have a feeling you are going to edit the post at least ten times now with gusto till the correct essence is captured. Then, you will playfully interject a Chinese dzogchen. Thereafter, you will douse in French jeu d'esprit. You will still find it unsatisfactory. Go on, post tenebras lux ...

Hehe! I love those folks. Don't say anything against them. They discuss grammar to the pulp — origin, evolution, homoeostasis, and extinction, and speculate on indeterminate gender.

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations, @Naari! :partyhat:

Be positive. You say he's smart, learn what you can from him. Evidently he does well enough at his job to be your boss. Don't be so quick to judge him. And don't criticize or correct him!

Naari likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Egos are fragile. Period . In a corporate scenario a manager's job is tricky because the team can quickly fall apart /run amok when the leader is weak or perceived to be weak. Because of this 'public/written" corrrections are tolerated rather than encouraged and that too after u gain considerable trust and loyalty both to the boss and to the org.
    Colleagues /peers being the key.

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I know what you are talking about. Similar spirit and ethics exist in corporate cultures as well. Let's say, I have been fortunate to work for and work under such gusto. I get you.

Most of my English is sourced from that gusto correspondence where revisions and detailed corrections and grammar edicts are the order of the day. I have never been offended with such interference. In fact, it is rare to find colleagues who take out time and interest to tidy up another's writing.