1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Born bites while breast feeding :(

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sonasanju, Nov 28, 2009.

1. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies..

Not sure whether you are facing this problem while breast feeding ur baby..
    My new born is 3 weeks old..and he bites me hard while I breast feed him..that pains a lot...Is this common? My baby gums seem to be quite strong...

Cheers
    Sona

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sona,
    Sounds like a latching issue. Vishalini has provided a great resource. Btw, if you are sore from the improper latch, apply breast milk after nursing. It should help. I used a lanolin cream while BFing for sore nipples, not sure if it is available in India(should be, I've not really looked for it). Here is a link on preventing help with sore nipples from LLL - LLLI | Healing sore nipples.

HTH,
    Laks

1 person likes this.
  4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Sona,

Yes I am going through this. I dont think it is because of the latching issue.. it happens only at the end when she tries to release my B. and the pain clearly seems to becoz of biting...

Lemme also wait for other moms to come up with their thoughts..

Vidyaa

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sona,

It could be since you new to nursing the nipple might be sore. I have to agree with Pon and Laks for the latching issue, even I have a feeling that it could be improper latching.The baby should ideally take the complete aerola in the mouth and the tongue and jaw would help to suckle the nipple. If the baby gets the nipple first then you can feel a bite.

Kellymom is a good source on BF, you may like go through the website.

6. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

If it is not a latching issue, it might be due to overactive letdown (OALD). Your LO might be clamping down due to OALD and this will hurt. It happened with Nilu for me. Kellymom has great info on this and also on how to ease the pain. Good luck mommies. Hangon, it gets better. :)

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I faced the same problem in the initial 2-3 weeks. One, it was due to latching, second it was when the feed was delayed and she was in a hurry to feed. Also since u r new to this, it will take time before u get used to this.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

its a shallow latching issue i guess. happened with my bub in the earlier days... she wldnt take the areola n just nibble at the nipple. but as days passed , we both got comfortable with feeding issues. sometimes she still latches shallow esp wen she is extremely sleepy, and that is coz as anitha said OALD... mine is so forceful that she has to clamp very often.

make sure ur LO is taking the lower part of ur areola as well as the nipple, if she seems to be chewing on ur nipple, click her lips with ur finger n withdraw ur nipple. then keep tickling her lips till she opens her mouth wide enough for a good latch.

in the mean time if ur pain continues, use nipcare, it will atleast grease ur nipple, and since its lanolin u dont hv to wipe clean ur nipple everytime before feed.

there are great videos on youtube educating a good latch, hv a look

9. arinuw

arinuw Senior IL'ite

it also cud be if ur babys gums are developed. though its a rarity sometimes babys are born with a slight tooth. for my baby who is 1 month old she has a slight tooth and it pains also

10. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

hi,

i am also having breast sore. sometimes bleeding also there... severe pain... am using nip care ointment.. but no remedy... what can i do?? is there any home remedy??? is it affect baby's health??

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011