1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Age Of Spirits

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

For a while I’ve been musing over this topic – The Spirits. Now to be clear it’s the spirit that leaves one’s body after death and not the spirit that gives you a kick while still alive ;)

Movies these days I tell you – not only has there been an advancement with regards to story line, plots, technology etc. etc. There now is a new trend of movies based entirely on the aftermath of life – spirits.

I still recall the day I watched “Paheli” – SRK’s movie with my friends during my post-graduation days and the common chord that struck us all was – wish we found a spirit that fell in love with us too :hearteyes:. Of course not on the likes on SRK but at least someone better than the boys in our college. What can I say – we were young and stupid after all :tonguewink:. Sometimes illusion and hallucination has a mesmerizing effect isn’t it?? Well I thought it was the end of such type of movies that were being made where spirits where portrayed as the protagonists but I am so wrong. Lately some of the movies that I’ve been watching – Tamil to be specific. All the characters that are pronounced dead return to life as a “Spirit’ whose time has still not ended. If you question why? VENGEANCE – payback time!!! :grinning-smiley-048:What seemed like an impossible task as a human to accomplish seems fairly easy after death. Let’s ignore the gory details of why he or she was killed in the first place. I get it movies are fictitious and purely for entertainment purpose only. But personally I find it terribly boring :yawn:. Me being a Scorpio and true to my sign have always been drawn to dark and eerie things. Watching horror movies was my favorite pass time long ago until now.

Now it comes as no surprise that if the character dies, he or she will eventually be back in a jiffy when it finds a body. There was a time of movies when devotion, prayers and power of the supreme brought into check the wrong doers. You can’t exclude the macho heroes too. But the trend seems to have changed. If it was a movie or two it’s easy to ignore but there are sequels made in the same vein. It feels ridiculous to watch the romance too, I’m partial to SRK no doubt here :D. Somehow it all seemed right when he did it :sunglasses:. Hypothetically speaking if such a thing were to happen too won’t that be nice?? A good percentage of corrupt and illegal activities at least would come to end.

Oh how can I forget another aspect of these movies – at some point in the story the evil doers out of fear want to stop the spirit from harming them. So they seek the help of the ghost hunters and guess who comes into picture now?? A whole bunch of men and women from outside of India and supposedly there are found in Google – the rabbit hole. I was in a way miffed but found it hilarious too, one to think that are we short of ghost hunters in our country? Or is our local spirit so hard to tame that one needs external help :roflmao:. Well whatever be the case, it’s just fun to watch a bunch of words being chanted in a foreign language that surprisingly only the spirit seems to gets while everyone is a bystander :shakehead:. The icing on the cake is when the spirit finally gives in and the poor thing is locked up in a very silly looking pot. Just last weekend I watched a movie (can’t remember the name now) the pot holding the spirit is left in a fish tank full of gold fish – LOL. Who does that?? :yikes:Have some respect for it. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that the gold fish was meant for untying the thread and releasing it back to the perpetrators. Gosh what a shoddy job by the ghost hunters isn’t it, this was homework not done right :facepalm:.

There was a time when it was assumed that children would have fear of darkness and the unknown but it’s not entirely true. In movies now they seem to be really okay living in a haunted house and getting along with the ghost and enjoying a game or two as well. Generation gap I tell you:rolleyes: . Whatever the case maybe – All’s well that ends well :thumbup:

I miss the movies which had me on edge, sounds of wailing or the silent whispers, the lightning speed at which the ghosts would come and go tricking your eyes. Lastly the exorcism, well that’s just me now:banana:.

A shout out to all the “New age spirits” out there :hello:

Disclaimer – This post of mine was pun intended only.

Srama and SpringB like this.

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha ha. I think I saw the movie you mentioned. I too had the same doubt that even ghost hunters have to be foreigners these days. Oh yeah poor man who was a food inspector turned to spirit by all those food poisoners. Luckily I could think in terms of the Direction that I exactly understood the motive behind the pot in a fish tank. LOL. Spirit should have joined hands with all the other spirits who died of food adulteration and then wage a war in its next sequel - Auvaiyaana Aruvam.

want a real bone chilling Ghost story checkout @ILoveTulips story The Replacement in stories section!

ILoveTulips and Scorpio707 like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

In Tamil nadu they make a hue and cry of superstitions, but they will be the first to make films or serials with ghosts and spirits.
    Whether paranormal forces exist or not, it is not advisable for kids to have a look at these things. They may take it humorously or get frightened. I think there should be a censor .No wonder, spirits are imported from abroad. Now a days many Western Universities have diploma/degree courses in Paranormal studies.
    jayasala42

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Scorpio707,

Even someone like the superstar RajniKanth has acted in Chandramukhi as a ghostbuster/doctor with great ideas to eliminate a revenge-seeking spirit. I remember the owner of the Palace Actor Prabhu hires a ghostbuster and actor Manobala instead of controlling the spirit, ends up releasing it as Vadivelu said, "Narambu paya ellathiyum veliya vittutane" (The lean guy has released all the ghost out). He probably set the precedence for the Tamil movie producers/directors to attempt something like that over and over again.

There was a movie "Karpagam" released in 1963 where the pleasant first wife keeps advising the husband to marry a girl who wants to marry her husband and raise her children with love.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meenu,

So it is the spirit cine world that has brought you here! Before I go on, this here
    is the truth! I have been such a fan of SRK and for so long, I didn't think your generation also felt that way!

I am not much of a movie buff and I was told that the telugu movie "bhaagamathi" is fantastic, yet I cant bring myself to watch that movie. I did watch one in kannada, came highly recommended by a young niece and she was disappointed that I did not care about the movie - it was no doubt well made. Honestly the only movie I have liked is Paheli indeed and it is not a paheli anymore as to why I like that movie - SRK no?

Hope you are having a fantastic thanksgiving weekend! Happy Thanksgiving!