Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Try Google keyboard on mobile to type (/write)... the 'half hour' magically becomes just half a second, faster than a rumor on WhatsApp grp chats! :sconf::shakehead:

Amulet likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The Pub Culture:
    From Wikipedia: A pub, or public house, is an establishment licensed to sell alcoholic drinks, which traditionally include beer (such as ale) and cider. It is a relaxed, social drinking establishment and a prominent part of British,[1] Irish,[2] Breton, New Zealand, Canadian, South African and Australian cultures.

Our people who live in USA do not exactly get to see the pub-culture exported from the old countries. A bunch of people drinking beer, talking about football (soccer), or playing darts, and generally being quiet. The new and newish modern hotels in India's metros advertise their pubs. The Chennai Hilton (close to the airport, so convenient to stay for international flights at godawful hours) has a pub on their top floor. Reviews of the hotel on the internet advise that one should avoid top floors because of the infernal noise out of the top of the hotel. And NRI people take that advice so much, that the front desk would advise the NRI at registration that they would be glad to switch their rooms Friady afternoons, if they are too close to the top floor.

We often see the pubs on Brit'com shows. I like the pub scenes from the show "Last of the summer wine". This show was on TV for a long time.

here is an episode:

3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*Oops, wrong fingers*

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Well, they are bastards, not bards! :grinning: It's a key scene in the movie, much appreciated for Tarantino's screenwriting. Sigh. Never mind.....!

Amulet likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You're catching on. Right ho!

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#whatever

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am very happy to have guests. The only proviso is that they spout something without any expectations of reviews of any sort....postive/negative/nonplussed/irrelevant. A truly never-mind attitude is all it ought to take.

I get thrilled when someone goes "Never Mind" in their post, because it feels like how the fans in the Cinema Theater would whistle and hoot when a main character works in the title of the movie into the dialogue in the ultimate (or penultimate) scene.

Recently @kaniths did that so beautifully. [I confess I nudged it out a little]

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

That is a vessel made of pure tin. Chemical symbol "Sn". A Rasam made in one of these pure tin vessels tastes very different than the one made in a stainless steel saucepan. I had done a side by side preparation, and had a blind test done with a few rasam aficionados.
    This vessel had gone out of fashion for a few decades ( it used to be rare, and passed on from Mum to daughter for generations, and would carry the dings it had received over many decades of use in various kitchens), but now it is back, available in the market through online outlets. Sn coating of Brass vessels is a common practice in India. Often tin coaters will come around and re-do a tin coating for old vessels in which the tin coating inside is getting worn off by rough stirring of contents with metal ladles; they would do this in our own street corners. And kids can go and watch the fire, and smoke. Sometimes I get an urge to tell instantpot aficionadas like @Rihana about this tin pot. I think this might drive them to find out why some dictators are called tinpot dictators and what has Rasam making to do with dictators.

I was reminded of this because of a recent chat with a friend about copper contact of acidic liquids in cocktail preparations.

The amazon-dot-in blurb on the item says:
    Eeya Chombu - This Is One Vessel That Gets Passed On From Generation To Generation. This Vessel Is Supposed To Enhance Your Grandmothers And Mothers Secret Recipe In Making The Best Rasam In This World. Made Of Pure Tin, Eeya Chombu Has Lost Its Traditional Space In Our Fast Paced Urban Household.
    M.R.P.: ₹ 4,000.00
    Price: ₹ 3,550.00 + 145.00 Delivery charge Details
    You Save: 450.00 (11%)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    HazelPup and Urmila like this.
  10. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

That’s very interesting topic.

But one should know how to use it. Or I heard it will melt away?! That will be really a disaster!!!

This is an interesting article on same. I had never used it and so don’t really know the taste difference as mentioned by you and here in this article.

AnnaParabrahma: Eeya Chombu

HazelPup likes this.