Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is my favorite 'whatever' video:

That video was posted in 2009! I wonder if the kids in these videos look back at the videos and what do they say when they do....... I guess 'whatever' would be a good enough thing to say : )

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I have this friend ....you see... and she...
    That kind of start in a message to an Agony aunt, or a group session, or a social network post is immediately taken as a thinly veiled autobiographical. If someone were to wonder so.... here is the answer: Never mind.
    ...married an NRI and went away. Threw the rice over her shoulder at vidai, and never came back. Initially she had much less money, so had to think twice, thrice before deciding not to waste it on an expensive travel. She promised herself she'd go when things are a little less hectic in her life, and she had more money. In the meantime, more of her friends left her home-town, more of her relatives passed on, and her own life and children had added additional constraints on her time.

And now she lives with her husband... and her children are living in far away countries. Likely saving money to come and visit.

Here is the video (without lyrics)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Lalithambigai likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@BhumiBabe: This thread is my scratch pad, where I jot down thoughts, and post things that may not have to be of interest to anyone. I didn't want to disrupt the flow of inputs into your thread; and hence this is here.

I noticed that the OP (Bhumibabe) had tossed in the word "religion" once in her first post, likely a misdirection play to send off a few on a wild goose chase. And then she went on to ask about dharmic life for a woman, in big fonts. The question on mythology is loaded with the presumption that those things are chock full of characters who had lived a 'full' life.

When I need something, such as dharmic life, and I come around here to ask the members about it, I'd simply ask if any of them have it already. If they have, how and where did they get it? How long have they had it ? Does it serve the purpose ? You know.. the usual straight forward questions.

But never mind.

My favorite, and the best dharmic life advisory, for man or woman is this: "Be Well, Do Good Work, and Keep In Touch". Homer, Avvaiyar, Thirukkural and Valmiki are all worked into this scheme already. Following this notion, one could achieve as full a life as one should. It is not that I would discourage anyone from reading the details in H, A, T and V's tomes. They can, and risk becoming a nuisance in internet forums.

Being well (body&mind), doing good work, and keeping in touch are all amenable to the garden variety gap analysis. How well one is right now, how well one ought to be, what is the difference -- is the gist of the analysis. Same goes for the other two facets of dharmic life. Once the deficiencies are identified, one sets to work in getting rid of them in a pace that is conducive to being well. Keeping in touch, would certainly include the inner monkey that attempts to disrupt doing good, and being well.

P.S. The know-how on dharmic life is hardly connected to organized religion. In fact, organized religion is not the place to look for an advisory on dharmic life. Human history, and the goings on in the various religious hierarchies of organized religions demonstrate that rather well.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Old repartee between pregnant wife and husband:
    dW: people who have had love marriage have love children, what do people who have had arranged marriages have?
    dH: Arrangelets ?
    dW: eeww... I don't like the sound of that... feels like child of a surrogate who sublet her tummy.
    dH: How about Arrangelings ?
    dW: mmmhh ...but sounds like a Chinese Takeout dish.
    dH: Arrangewala ? .... Arrangewallete?
    dW: Arrangewala is a marriage broker, and his moneypurse is arrangewallet.
    dH: mmhh.. this is tough; how about Arrangina, if it is a girl, like Angelina, and Arrnagino if it is a boy ?
    dW had fallen asleep on his lap.

kaniths likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This thread is my scratch pad, where I jot down thoughts, and post things that may not have to be of interest to anyone. I didn't want to disrupt the flow of inputs into other threads, by interjecting what is scratched out here.

When I saw the following, I LOL'd.. thinking of a shotgun toting parent rounding up the rascal and have him make an honest woman of their daughter. :blush: However I had posted a response assuming that the couple in question already have the social sanction, and parents' blessings to engage in the baby making.
    [​IMG]

Jokes aside, I decided to google and find out if there are statistics on SG (shotgun) marriages. Not necessarily a wedding, involving a parent in blue-jean overalls, with a shotgun, marching the miscreant into his barn where he had assembled a preacher and his very pregnant daughter. It is simply a wedding with a pregnant bride.

Christina Gibson-Davis, an associate professor of public policy and psychology and neuroscience at Duke University had published the very study in the magazine called Demography..
    Midpregnancy Marriage and Divorce: Why the Death of Shotgun Marriage Has Been Greatly Exaggerated
    First, shotgun marriages – weddings that happen after a child has been conceived and before the child has been born – are on the rise among some groups. Second, these marriages are occurring most often in demographic groups with lower overall marriage rates. Third, and most surprising, in these groups the marriages appear to be stronger – or at least as long-lasting – as marriages for couples who began married life without being pregnant.

Gibson-Davis concedes that statistically not many people have shotgun weddings. In fact, the number has been relatively stable over the past 25 years – at 10 percent of all marriages. However, what's interesting from this research is the groups that have seen a rise in midpregnancy marriages.​

No matter how we cut it, children do indeed help in "bringing the couple together", and increase the longevity of marriages -- never mind if the marriages are happy or not.

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

+ GoogleGlass Ahem. I voted (only) for Aish. :grin::tongueout:
    I have wondered that myself, and sometimes tried to relate who on IL is the equivalent BBT2 HM from my personal interactions with ILites here. :relaxed:
    I like this space, it's like scrolling my Twitter feed with all kinds of stuff in between, random and not so random.
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

yenda (a)ishwara rakshikkanae :)

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Anbe Sivam! ;):p

GoogleGlass likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Although Anbu is சைவம், physical expressions of anbu is called non-veg! We have a wild manipravala language.

GoogleGlass and kaniths like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Lol. True that. :sweatsmile:

GoogleGlass likes this.