1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never ask SORRY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shvap_786, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You should come by more often - I for one would definitely love to hear from someone who has been there.

Vanathi.

2. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

:thumbsupI forgot to subscribe the thread & lost the chance to voice out my words.... in agreeing with many already discussed points.

Yes.... Teaching children to use the words is not enough, if you aren't doing it yourself. It really turns me Rant off when anyone does not respond to a "Thank You", "Sorry" or "Excuse Me", especially in shops or markets in Mumbai. After seeing my daughter in regular intervals, they respond. That shouldn't be the attitude. Say it, no matter what!

I insist that my daughter say "Aap" instead of "Tu or Tum", but in Mumbai most people speak in the "Tu or Tum" sense - Tum ko kahan gana hai? Tum ne khana khaya?, etc.... Although some people converse with her in the Aap sense -Aap ne khana khaya?, etc, she doesn't get why they say "tum" to wach other. My hubby too speak "Tum-Tum" with his brothers. In the background, my daughter will be repeating like a broken record "Tum nahin Aap....Tum nahin Aap..." But no matter what, it's hard to explain to her why he can say, & she can't.... Grammer is another troublesome thing. :spin

For those of you whose kids aren't saying sorry/thank you.... Wanted to ask, have you tried the sticker method? Every rude behaviour gets a rude sticker & every good deed a smiley sticker.... This worked out for me too, as it was more visual to her about how many times she has been naughty & nice

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI ani...

That sounds new idea for me... could you explain more about this idea how do you implement this little more detail...

4. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Vahee.... Tried sending you a PM... but there was some prob...

The sticker method is very simple -

a. Get some round stickers from the stationary shop.
    b. Make smiling faces & Grumpy or rude face on some.
    c. Make a something like a table - On one side write various actions - Saying sorry - Saying thank you - No saying sorry or thank you, etc.
    d. Everytime they do the action, you give them a smiling sticker. For not doing they get a rude sticker.
    e. You could also add things like Eating your veges, Puttin toys back in place, etc.

You could add incentives like, if you get all the stickers then you get a special gift... but for every rude sticker, you lose your fav thing to do - no watching your favourite cartoon, etc.

Be sure to put it up where she was see how she's doing - & when daddy comes home, ask him to notice the smiling faces & show her how proud he is.

Let me know....

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

You can print out blank sticker reward charts from this site. I have seen the kind of stickers that JustAni is talking about in book stores and Walmart.

Raj

6. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Raj..... I use the round stickers which are mostly used as labels. They come in different sizes.... It's blank & plain white.... So you can actually make the faces in front of the kid - "Which face do you get?".... I used markers to make them - So red was for good work & Green for rude.

A neighbour's boy still comes home pledging me for a sticker everytime he sees me - I stick a smiling face on his shirt.... Makes him smile even more.

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi ani..

wow that's really a very interesting idea... even she will enjoy and co-op with me i guess... since she is growing she expects something new from me i'm breaking my head thanks for ur wonderful idea... hope this will help instead of hitting or shouting at her...coz i actually dont want to do that to her...

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Hi raj ...
    Thank you nice website...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi guys,

me back...:hide:.

Nice to know the sticker thing..I have tried implementing the chart with stars like a black dot for each bad behaviour and a star for good... at the end of the week a toto and a lecture. though i have stopped, as they themselves come and confess their mistakes...

but me thinks, are we making the kids expect an appreciation for whatever good they do..are we teaching them to expect..

See, as parents we can do..but later on, the kids start expecting from teachers, which may happen and may not happen.

again this is my loud thinking....

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

dear shanthi..

i have seen this attitude with my daughter... not only with her teacher ... she even expects from me... if i appreciate for smmal issues she feels happy... some times she comes and tell me as a complaint itself that her mam did't put star today...

i feel that this is also a one phase and it will go off when they grow.... i think so... i donno clarify me ...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008