1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never again in my life!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Finest Blog - First Weekly Pick for the month of August 2010

The flight from Delhi to Chennai took off at the right time.Sundaram, who had seated himself comfortably, looked very pleased with himself and with life in general.He loved to travel by flight,not because flying saved him time,but flying by air also gave him opportunities to admire the airhostesses ,who were lovely,smart and great to look at .
    Whenever he flew by an airline,he used every minute of the journey to ogle at the airhostesses unabashedly.Their trim figures,soft skin,expertly applied makeup which made them look like angels on earth,the way they tied their sarees,the sarees caressing their bodies lovingly and the blouses that fitted them so well.Sometimes Sundaram would forget himself staring at each and every airhostess.If by chance an airhostess turned to him and gave him a friendly smile,he would begin to smile sheepishly.He would ask repeatedly,”Can I have some water?Can I have a pillow?Can I have a blanket,please?”Sometimes he would even try to touch the airhostesses’ hand when she gave him water.

Sundaram was nearing fifty and he looked it.His graying hair,the wrinkles that had started making their appearance on his face,the slight paunch,the rich suit that he was wearing showed him as a senior executive and the ladies never minded or misunderstood the ogling old man.

Today also as soon as he seated himself,he began his favourite activity.He started salivating over the young airhostess who was pushing the trolley containing coffee and tea and serving the passengers what they required.The young lady was about twenty years old,with a fair complexion,petite figure,lovely round face .She was wearing a printed silk saree that was her uniform and wore a rose colour lipstick.Sundaram stared at her,her beauty, and the divine smile on her lips ensnared him.There was a lightning in his eyes and his body shook slightly with desire.Since he was engaged totally in swallowing her beauty with his eyes,he forgot the tiffin plate in his hand and he did not even hear the young airhostess who had neared his seat,taken away his plate and asked him whether he wanted coffee or tea.It took him a minute to get back his senses and say with a childish grin on his face,”Hi!Hi!tea is enough.”

Sundaram was General Manager Marketing in a reputed Private company selling a particular brand of medicines,at Chennai.Company had given him a big bungalow in a posh locality,a car and driver.Financially he was very well off.He had two lovely daughters.

If you had asked me,”this woman ogling man,doesn’t he get into trouble with his wife?How does his wife put up with his behaviour?”.Well here only Sundaram emerged with his genius for acting.When he was out of his house,his eyes would be searching for good looking females,young or old.But when he was in his house, he was a different man altogether.When his daughters’ friends came home ,he would just say,”Hello”,smile and go away from where they were sitting.
    “Your father is a perfect gentleman,yaar”,The girls would praise him and he would turn away as if they referred to someone else or that these words never entered his ears.
    When ladies came home for navarathri festival,or for any kitty party ,he would not come out of his room.He would ask his wife whether all the ladies had left and then only he would come out of his room.

When he was introduced to his colleagues’ and his friends’ wives, he was a totally different Sundaram.He was dignity personified on those occasions.He would treat them very respectfully.When he met them at dinner parties or at get togethers and when he made conversations with them,he never even looked at them face to face.He either looked at the ground or he looked at the sky.
    “How are you,amma.How are the children at home,amma?”when he talked in this manner,no doubt the hearts of the women folk melted.”Your friend Sundaram is such a fine man.A very decent person.”This was the certificate he earned from the women.

The same Sundaram behaved in a totally different manner with the young women, who joined his department as newcomers.When these women came to his room seeking clarification on some issues relating to their job,he would put in their mind doubts that never existed in their minds and on the pretext of clarifying the doubts,he would touch them ,stroke their hands and try to take liberties with them.Some intelligent girls would manage to survive without entering his room but there were some others among these unfortunate girls who were by nature very timid and who could not say ‘bo to a goose’. Such girls entered his room against their will,put up with his mischiefs,remained there as if they were on fire, and came out of the room with reddened faces and tears in their eyes.

Lalitha was from Kerala.Kerala’s rich beauty could be seen in her expressive eyes and her curvaceous body.Not only was she goodlooking ,she was also excellent in her work.She spoke flawless English and typed without a single mistake.Her father was no more and she had to take care of her younger siblings and her mother.When Sundaram came to know about her family background,his heart began to sing with joy. He called her to his room very often on the pretext of dictating some letters or other,while she took dictation,he went behind her and touched her hands as if it happened by mistake.He touched her shoulders and stroked her waist.Lalitha remained quiet ,exercising patience but one fine day she lost her cool.She told him with anger bubbling in her voice,”Sir,Iam like your daughter and this is not the way you should treat me.”

“You are like my daughter,my dear.but you are not my daughter.Don’t make a fuss,come…”so saying Sundaram pulled her towards him.Lalitha extricated her hand and dashed into the Managing Director’s room.She told the MD tears streaming from her eyes about how Sundaram was misbehaving with her .The MD called the Accounts Manager to his room,asked him to settle Lalitha’s account with the company and send her home.
    Why not?No one could find fault with Sundaram’s sales plans to increase the company’s sales and profits.The company’s profits had increased several times ever since Sundaram joined the organisation.He was the MD’s right hand and the MD was not going to take action against him just because a steno complained about him.

After sometime,Lalitha entered Sundaram’s room ,her face had swollen due to crying and her eyes had become red.
    “Sir,what harm did I do to you,you made me lose my job,is is fair?”Lalitha wept and Sundaram smiled in an evil manner.

The flight was nearing Chennai.In another fifteen minutes, it would land in Chennai.
    The young airhostess whom Sundaram was ogling at constantly was standing just a few rows before him.She was helping an elderly passenger adjuting his blanket and her side posture that revealed her voluptuous figure made Sundaram mad with desire.His blood throbbed and his eyes almost bulged.He had this sudden uncontrollable urge to touch her.He waited for the right moment and when she passed by his seat,he called out to her.”Excuse me,I have a backpain,can you give me a pillow,please?”

“Yes,sir.I will bring you a pillow”said the girl and bought a pillow immediately.
    Sundaram was sitting in his seat bending forward with a frown on his face, showing that he was suffering from pain.

“May I help you,sir?”she stood by Sundaram’s side and with care helped him keep the pillow behind his back.She bent forward and her stomach,waist,and her breasts were very near his flaring nostrils.
    “No,not that way,here please.” while Sundaram tried to guide her hands behind his back,his hands caressed her waist,his fingers went up and he touched her breast that to him was like a cotton ball.The young airhostess sprang back from him as if a snake had bitten her.Her eyes were full of unshed tears and she breathed hot fury.

“Sir,what do you think you are doing?Are you not ashamed to behave in this manner?”The young woman spat at him in a low voice so as not to attract the attention of the fellow passengers.If she had raised his voice,the other passengers would have raised so many unnecessary questions.

“Where did he touch you,how did he touch you?”She could not even visualize a scene like that.She went into the cabin reserved for the crew and started weeping silently.Meanwhile Sundaram sat there with a vicious smile on his face.His one hand caressed the fingers that had touched the young woman’s body and he felt a cheap thrill in it.He never felt a moment of remorse for his action, on the other hand,he was pleased that he got what he wanted.

“Geetha,Chandra,where are you both?See what all I have bought for you!”Sundaram was pleased with life and was in his element.

“Geetha has not returned from office yet and Chandra is studying in her room”,said his wife ,her eyes riveted on the serial that she was watching on the TV.
    “What ,Geetha has not come back from office?How many times I have told her that she should be at home by seven o clock in the evening?”Sudaram untied his tie with a vigorous pull showing his anger.He turned to his wife,”Shouldn’t you insist to your daughter that she should come back home in time?You don’t know how to bring up a daughter”Sundaram thundered.

“As soon as she passed her B.COM, I told you that we should finalise her marriage and that she should settle down in life .But you allowed her to do M B A and once she finished MBA and she got a good job as a Marketing executive with a good salary,you only gave her permission to take up that job.What is the fun in getting angry with me now”Sundaram’s wife gave him a fitting reply and disappeared into the kitchen.

Sundaram,his wife and Chandra wee sitting on the dining table,silently eating their dinner,when Geetha entered the house like a pleasant breeze.
    “Hello,dad!How was your trip?”Geetha touched her father’s cheek with hers.She turned to her mother saying,”Iam not at all hungry,mummy.Iam so tired,I want to sleep”she entered her room closing the door behind her.

Sundaram was turning and tossing in his bed.He did not get sleep,besides he was also very thirsty.He went to the kitchen,took a bottle of cold water from the fridge and drank it without pausing.It was while he returned to his room,he saw that light was on in his daughters’ room.
    “It is going to be twelve o clock and these girls are still awake chatting.I have to shout at them and tell them to go to sleep immediately”H e was about to open the door,when he heard Geetha sobbing profusely and Chandra’ could be heard comforting her.

“What is the matter?Is she not well?”Sundaram opened the door very slightly and looked into the room.He heard their conversation and stood there, like a stone statue.

“A leading company had told our company that they would give us a big sales order,yaar.In this connection, I had to talk to the Sales Manager of the company.He said,”Iam on a month’s leave from tomorrow.I will be free only this evening at 6.30 .If you come to our office,we can finalise the deal.”So I went to their office at 6.0.All the staff had gone home except the Manager and the peon.The manager sent the peon to bring coffee and he took me to his room in a very courteous manner.I told him all that I had to say on behalf of the company about getting the order from them.He listened to me very carefully and then said,”Miss.Geetha,ofcourse I will see to it that you get this order.Not only this,you will continue to get sizable orders from us.But it all depends on you,”said he and smiled.

“Sir,what should I do,tell me”said I.I thought that he would want me to follow up the sales order and keep him posted.But do you know what that rascal said?”Geetha’s sobs increased in volume,she took a minute to become calm and then continued.
    “Chandra,he said,”Geetha,you make adjustments with me and I will see that you get your sale deeds pucca.You give me what I want and I will give you what you want,is that right?” and started moving towards me.

“I got furious,Chandra,I never imagined that this man, who looked a gentleman in all respects, would behave that way.I told him, “Sir,I think there is no use in our continuing this conversation any more”and tried to leave that room.But do you know what he did?”Again Geetha sobbed hysterically and then said between sobs “Chandra, he came behind me,hugged me tight.I tried hard to free myself.But in the meanwhile, he held me tightly and then he kissed me on my cheek,Chandra.My whole body began to burn and my immediate reaction was to kill myself,Chandra.”

“No,Geetha,you escaped from him and came home safely.That itself is a blessing from God.You should have slapped him right on the spot you know”Chandra gritted her teeth.

“If I had shouted or had slapped him,the matter would have come out.The outside world would say,”That manager is a good man only.We don’t know what type of girl is that one”If father and mother come to know about this matter they will force me to leave the job and start collecting horoscopes to finalise my marriage.Chandra,do girls like me, who study well ,get good placements in good companies and want to achieve something in life have to go through such hell,tell me?”Geetha wept.

“Don’t be disheartened Geetha,God will surely punish these animals, who look at women other than their wives and daughters with desire in their eyes.Tomorrow this manager’s wife or daughter will come and cry before him,having been humiliated by men like him Then only he will realize the pain and hurt that women who had been abused by him were put through.Don’t cry,Geetha.”Chandra’s voice broke.

Sundaram who was standing outside the door and listening to this conversation became pale in the face.He felt as if instead of blood,fire was running through his veins,his body had become so hot.His legs trembled so much that he was not able to stand.With difficulty,he carried himself up to the puja cubboard.He looked at the pictures of various Gods and Goddesses in photoframes, with folded hands,trying to seek divine forgiveness for the way he had been misbehaving with young women.But he could not see God or Goddesses in those photo frames.

Lalitha’s face looked at him from a frame.”Sir,what harm did I do to you,you made me leave my job.Was it right on your part?”she cried bitterly.The airhostess was seen in another frame,”Sir,how could you do this to a girl who is young enough to be your daughter,are you not ashamed?”tears of humiliation rolled down her cheeks.There were other women young and middle aged,all of them had been at one time or other harassed and humiliated by Sundaram.Some of them cried from the photo frames,some of them cursed him and many of them spat on him.

Sundaram covered his mouth with a towel and wept bitterly leaning against the wall.Will his tears wash away sins that he committed ?

2. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Mam,

You had clearly depicted what a working woman has to
    go through. Almost every woman meets shameless men like this.

And its true "thalaivaliyum thiruguvaliyum thanaku vandha dan therium"

3. mithila kannan

My dear raba,
    You are absolutely right ,my dear.
    love
    mithila

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mithila...
    The latest serial by shridhar is also about sexual harassment at work... I think I'm really lucky to have achieved this position in my career without ever being exposed to this ugly side.. I've had only male bosses and all have been ever so encouraging and kind...
    you have in your usual style spelled out a very important message very matter of factly...
    K

5. tweetyme

tweetyme New IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

One of my friends had a similar experience and it changed her entire personality.Someone who is very confident and outgoing became very calm and timid as that one unfortunate incident shattered her confidence.It took her nearly 2 months to become normal.It is strange that people who want to protect and save their kith and kin from all evil perform evil deeds when it comes to others!

Well done.

6. mithila kannan

My dear K,
    Not all bosses are women womenisers.I know of many men in many men ,whose secretaries and lady colleagues hold them in high esteem.

I also know of men who misbehave even with their maids.
    Do you think it all depends on how men are brought up at home or is it a wild streak in their personality?

love
    mihila

7. mithila kannan

My dear tweetyme,

people who want to protect and save their kith and kin from all evil perform evil deeds when it comes to others!
    you said it.
    Women have to be careful,have to be brave,courageous and support each other.

When theyare aware of a wrong being committed to a fellow female colleague they should join together and rise against the culpirit.Easily said than done,but it has to be one.
    love
    mithila

8. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

dear mithila mam,
    i hav even seen ppl in public places,bus stops..using the rush hour to misuse anb abuse ladies..who whimp and cannot do anything in such a crowded place....
    your blog would be a sting for such kind of idiots...

very well written and you have conveyed the msg very well.. hats off to you mithila mam..:)

9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila, Very nice post.
    When I read this post, I just thought of another thing. Because of this shameless men, the other employees think if a lady is in high position she might have please her boss in some other way. I heard such comments from my fellow employees about a lady manager in my office. Women are either disrespected by man like Sundaram, or these men who cant perform efficiently themselves and envy on others and pass such comments...

10. smiley2009

smiley2009 New IL'ite

Dear Mithila madam,
    Excellent post. The very thing that is happening outside is written verry well!!
    Thank you Madam.
    Seeing all this, I feel sad. Thinking that when do things get better for women.
    People only get the pinch when they themselves get hurt isn't it!!
    Very well expressed.

Take care,
    Smiley