1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbors Ignoring Me...how To Deal?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Feb 13, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Sometime ago had posted a thread saying how I tried to befriend a neighbor (she moved in sometime back) who wanted a play date and has a child same age as mine.

A jist..

I tried to be friendly and warm and not disturbing at the same time but she did not reciprocate and even when I asked her to come to my home..she came and left in a hurry.Invited her again after sometime but she smiled and kept quiet.I let it go.

There is another lady in my neighborhood whom I call once in a while but she never once calls back but talks well when I do.I call her despite her not reciprocating.

A third friend who is a common acquaintance to me and the second lady met me couple of days back.
    She told me that she went to a getogether where all the three had met and one was the First Lady who ignored me.

I just asked what was the getogether about.She said they all got together for a Tamil group.

Now..am also a tamil who they all know for a long time.It hurt me bad when I came to know this.. not coz of being in a group BUT that shows they are blatantly ignoring me.why are they ignoring so much?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Sunshine04 and gknew like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Good one.
    It was Groucho Marx who said (I paraphrase) that he wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would take people like him as a member.​

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Right now..feeling puzzled and hurt and would have people to tell what could I understand from this with their experiences.Sarcasm or witty replies right now are more like daggers for the wounded heart.

Lot of people I learnt on indusladies have wrote something on the lines of what I experienced.How do they deal

Sunshine04 likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have to keep casting a wider net. If these ladies are so petty you are better off without them.

5. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Where do you live?

anika987 likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Another thing: are you more well-off, better-looking or is there anything about you that may make you appear superior to these women in their perception ? Envy is very real.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

In the us

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

As per well off..I guess we are more or less the same I feel.

As for looks..I always felt why would people around the age 40 be jealous of another women. but I am happy with how I am.I do take care of my dressing,looks and very much into fitness.

gknew likes this.
  9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

If you are living in the US in an independent house and if this is a recent transition, then let me warn you, it will take time, generally it is easier to gel in an apartment. I had issues when I first came to US, it was very depressing in the first year - because all I could do was sit and prepare for jobs, watch TV(the TV was also not having many channels really). All I had was the TV and a desktop for company. Hubby used to come in the evening, but it was just grocery shopping, laundry or talking about jobs, watching TV, that was all. No interaction with neighbors - even when they were all Indians, ethnically very similar. And it was an apartment too. Being dependent for everything on husband, not knowing the culture of Indian residents in US, all these were problematic. Now, it has been more than a decade and we still have issues finding playdates for kids, because people are a bit hesitant to come over. Just take it easy. Keep trying and don't think too much into it.

Mehana, Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Ahhh!! You read my mind.. this question always come to my mind everyday.
    Few people don't like to reciprocate. I face this everyday. I really don't know what stopping them.
    I am friendly and very social. I invite my neighbors to my house. They will say something to change the topic or smile and say will come for sure some other day.
    As PP mentioned, they may have some differences in the fitness or looks or something else. They may be jealous on you.
    It's always difficult to get like minded people. But we can't expect that from neighbors.
    Just try to find out if they have any specific Tamil group/Tamil school which you are not part of. If so, try to join that.
    How are the kids getting along? Are they close to each other? This is also a reason for mommies to avoid other kids mommies. I have experienced that.

May be their kids are closer to each other. Are they including your child? Are you sending your child to many extra curricular classes and they are not sending their kids? That sometimes makes a big difference and they envy you.
    Finally, we can't change anything/anyone and just relax and be yourself.

anika987 likes this.