1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Needed help in buying, appliances-Mixer and Grinder

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Paro, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Can anyone help me? I am planning to buy 'Sumeet mixer' for all tough job, from wet grinding to dry grinding. I would like to make idlis, dosas chutneys, meduvada with this grinder. Will it help? or something else should I buy?

2. krnind

krnind Junior IL'ite

hi paro

this is kirti....sumeet quality is not that good now a days...buy preethi brand mixi... its too good n durable also i am using it...

bye

3. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Thanks, Kriti, that is what I heard from many, so I was vary to buy it and initiated this post. Kriti I am gujarati and married to southindian, I never made idlis, chutneys, and other dishes which requires grinding of all kind, Now I want to make it but need good appliances to churn and grind. I bought "Magic Bullet" (here in canada) by seeing advertise on TV. and I am repenting as it cannot do hard jobs of "Indian cooking"

Now my question is "Preethi" brand will do all hard jobs of grinding, mainly south dishes? I am just assuming you are making all that dishes at home and can be helpful in my quest.

Thanks and have a wonderful day

Paro

4. krnind

krnind Junior IL'ite

hi paro

i am very happy to hear from u...even u will be happy to know..that i am also a gujju n married to a telugu(southindian)......where do u stay actually?

yes i do all my grinding work in this mixer...idli, dosa vada batter, chutney, podi's etc...everything... so no probs blindly u can go head n buy...

bye
    kirti

5. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Hi Kirti,

Sorry for the late reply. I am happy to hear that you are Gujju and married to Telugu man. Same here, my husband is also Telugu. What a match! and luckily we started this post and thread. I am in Canada and have one son. Didi you learn speaking Telugu? Me not yet. Keep writing.

Thanks for the reply, I will try if i am getting this brand here for mixer and grinder

i am very happy to hear from u...even u will be happy to know..that i am also a gujju n married to a telugu(southindian)......where do u stay actually?

yes i do all my grinding work in this mixer...idli, dosa vada batter, chutney, podi's etc...everything... so no probs blindly u can go head n buy...

bye
    kirti[/quote]

6. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

we use kenstar but butterfly also goes good. previously we used sumeet for nearly 24years.

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Kirit,
    she is 100% correct. Now a days sumeet is not good. My grand mother used it. At that time it was good. After my mother used it. At that time was ok. but now :thumbsdown

Now the best one is Preethi. I am using it for the past 18 years and I bought one for Saudi also.

8. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Dear Frds.,

I too agree that Preethi is the best , most of my realtives are using it for a long time.

Believe me, i bought a mixie called "Jifomix" here in south africa before 1.5 years , still now , its serving me a lot.Im making all the grinding from idli mavu to millagi podi.
    Im so surprised abut its functionality , becoz i never ever heared this brand name in my life, it is made in pakistan.
    So a big :bowdown to my mixie.

Also i personally feel that , if we handle the mixie gently , it will serve us a lot :)

Cheers,
    suba

9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Suba,

I will also accept that we have to handle the mixie to extend its life. But the problem is when we try to grind udad dal, we need a good mixer grinder. Even North Indian mixies could not do that. So to grind udad dal, we need heavy duty mixer. For making chutney or powders we can use any mixie. no problem. But to make idly dosa or vada dough you need a heavy duty mixie.

Here in Saudi I used some France Mixie before I brought one Preethi here. It is still working. I used to graind udad dal in that. But I use the mixie to graind a small quantity of udad dal in one time and I will switch it off for some time. And again I used to graind. Like that I used to make idly dosa and vada dough for the past 5 years. Now I bought one Preethi here too. Now it is so easy to graind.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  10. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Big Thank you! Every one,

Krishnaamma, You are right! That is where I was confused. For South Indian style cooking we need sturdy and heavy duty grinder and mixer. Because we grind some chutneys and podis without water. I have coffe grinder but too small for dry grinding and to do little by little and takes away so much time. Even urad dal we need to grind it in little water. I tried many mixer and grinder but none came to my rescue. So before I buy I thought let me ask for the suggestions. Because I know too little about appliances used for all this cooking in South and I wanted to know it how they do it in South. I heard they have coconut scraper also? I haven't seen it yet, but that's so cool!