1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need your suggestions...long post

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ds0612, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

I have been married for 7 yrs..on the day I landed in USA my husband tells me that he has to take care of two people in his life..his girlfriend and his wife (that's me). I was not aware of this before marriage otherwise I wouldn't have married this guy. He used to say that he has not got enough savings that's why he can't marry but his parents apparently forced him to marry me ( I got to know about this after marriage).
    I was very afraid and lonely and didn't know anything about how things work here in usa....so I continued. He was chatting/calling his girlfriend and exchangings I love us etc. One day I asked him what the hell is going on...do u want to continue doing like this or should I leave. I bought tickets to visit my cousins in California and I told him take ur time and think over it. The moment I landed in California..he sends me flowers and bouquets every alternate day and saying that he wants me only. THat moment on everything was fine and I got pregnant. Within on week of my pregnancy news, he got laid off and he found a job in California. This all happened in 2009 jan. We moved to ca in 2009 jan. we stayed with BIL till my son was 5 months old. Then we stayed with SIL till my son was 10 months old. Then we moved into our own apartment. He invited his friend to stay in one of our bedroom till he looked for his own apartment. He ended up staying for 2 months. Then my inlaws came..they stayed for 1 yr. Then I went to india for 6 months. Came back to usa in 2011 nov. From nov 2011 to jan 2012 we again stayed with SIL. From jan 2012 to oct 2012 we stayed with BIL. from oct 2012 to jan 2013 we stayed with SIL. Finally in feb 2013 we moved into our apartment. He had a female collegue who wanted to move too so he gave one bedroom to her as a paying guest. She left in nov 2013 and in the same month inlaws came. This year I got pregnant in jan (it was an accident and I didn't want to abort the baby...though he wanted me to abort)and I had my baby in September. My parents cou;dn't come so I managed everything on my own. Didn;t bother to disturb husband as he was always working on laptop. Took care of my 4 yr old son. Couldn;t send himt o preschool as we didn;t have enough savings. After he turned 4 yrs he started going to preschool.
    the reason I am telling is that just 1 week bk I stumbled upon a chat. My husband started chatting with an American woman talking all sleezy sex talks. I feel cheated of all the time I spent doing everything on my own...assuming that hes doing his office work. All the time he was chatting! last 4 yrs when ur being shuffling like a football from one home to another home, where is the time to get intimate?? And he goes ahead and starts having this fling...why I should forgive him.

he taunts me that I don't have a job.
    I tolerated his brother and sister nonsense for 4 yrs.
    I cooked cleaned like a maid in their homes along wit breastfeeding and taking care of my son.
    I wanted to study and join a community college but couldn't.
    even though we were staying with his bro/sis he goes ahead and puts his entire savings in paying off his father debt and to top it all for buying a home of 55lakhs???? So in 2013 I asked my parents/bro/sis to pay the monthlt installments. they were apprehensive but they eventually gave the money...

now the situation is my trust on him is gone. more than that I feel guilty that my br/sis and parents also trusted him because of me.

I now plan to get a job first. my question is if I can work..take care of kids..do everything on my own why the heck do I need this man in my life???

* I hv put my thoughts randomly...sorry for this long rant but I need some clarity here.

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Problem is with your husband and not with your BIL and SIL. Whenever your husband is unable to afford housing, he is staying in his siblings' homes. His siblings seem to be large-hearted people. In US, usually there are no maids and hosting 3 more people for months together is a no mean task. You might have your reasons to hate them but it does not speak well of you to be ungrateful.

Your husband is basically an irresponsible, reckless and useless human being. I do not think he can be repaired in any which way. Do you have two kids now? You need to be given a big award for taking care of your child with such a person as your husband. You asked your parents/brother/sister to pay for installments?

I hope you get good suggestions here. Other than suggesting you to get out of this marriage, I can not think of any other option.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for replying. I am very grateful to my BIL and SIl for tolerating us...but they didn't make my life easier. With all the guilt feeling that I don't have a place of my own, I did everything possible for them.

Yes I agree that my husband is irresponsible, reckless and useless human being. Now what do I do. I have zero feelings for him. Now I have two kids.

The thing is that its been a week since I got to know about this fling. He has not apologized to me but he is remorseful and is trying everything to please me. But its not going on well with me. Am I saint to give him chances?? When I was feeling lonely I could have gone online and searched for a friend right? When I was faithful to him why couldn't he be??? Are all men like this or is my marriage to this guy totally wrong???

4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,
    (1) Get a job.
    (2) Pay back the money your bro/sis/parents paid.
    (3) Be grateful that you had a supportive BIL and SIL who hosted you all for months on end. Having guests for 4 years is a very big deal, specially if the cost of living in that place is high.
    (4) Go to your OBGYN and learn about contraception.
    (5) Your children may be needing their father more than you need your husband. Is he a good parent or is his influence a toxic one ?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

I agree with all your points. I have started studying. Fortunately this year I got my GC so I can work. He is a good father...infact a very good father. Its only that I am not able to forgive him at all. I can't bring myself upto it.

6. Frontier

Frontier Silver IL'ite

If your husband was working all this while I don't understand why you need to stay with your relatives. Both of you should stop depending on relatives and start being independent. For now I think you have enough kids. Get a job improve your finances and then you can think about whether you want to live with your husband or dump him

7. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I think you got some very good responses to your post. I do not have much to add as I concur with the suggestions you have already received. Only that, in some households (around the world), the woman is the one who "wears the pants" and yours is one such household. I know some families (quite a few) who function this way. In fact, they are all American. Husbands do not have good jobs, do not earn much, are not ambitious, and the wives pretty much run the show. But the family still manages to live together as a unit. See if you can achieve that since you say he is a great father and children are very close to him. It will just be hard work for you to change this mind set that "your husband should be the man of the home, take control, take charge, be the provider and protector" since this is not the case in your situation. You will need to be all of that and set a good example and be a role model for everyone around - your kids, your family, his family, and perhaps even him. Maybe if he sees you move forward in life in a strong focused manner and balance your life well between your individual pursuits AND your family, he may some day realize that he has been callous all along.

Aamrapali

2 people like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I am a bit confused. once you had the apartment, why did you move back to your SIL/BIL's house? Did he lose his job? Does he currently have a job?

If you get a job, where will the kids stay? In a day care? For two kids, it is very expensive. So the job has to be better paying job. Will he be a stay home dad?

I think you have a lot more to think about of the future of the kids and living conditions than to think about his fling. Need to first think of having a roof and food and then kids rearing, education, retirement etc. These are all difficult and serious stuff. There is more to worry about than the what you are worrying about.

Also, american woman going after your DH seems fishy. She may not be a good woman and if so may not be the only one. So be careful.