1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need urgent suggestion - Where to stay if work place is D.C.

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington DC' started by Priya4oct, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need you suggestion on deciding my work location.

Background - Me and my spouse bot are working for Indian MNC and my DH is currently deputed at NYC while I am still in India. We have 2.5 years old daughter.
    I have got one offer for onsite where work location is DC (DC Health Care office) (I got this opportunity after 5 mnths of wait). But now my problem is how we'll be able to manage at two different locations specially with kid. DC is completely new place for me (I was earlier in NYC, JC). Any suggestion?

Also my husband is talking to his managers on transfer to Collegeville (PA). Do you think it will be feasible for us to stay togather and commute to our work location on daily baisis (DC and Collegeville) .can you please suggest me where I should stay in nearby area (MA, VA) (I have no option of WFH and would prefer to stay in indian community and where preschool and daycares are easily available)

I was also looking Baltimore as option (not sure if it can be).

Many Thanks,
    Priyanka

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It will be difficult for both of you to stay together. Baltimore is still a long way if your office is in DC. You might consider staying closer to your office. That way you can also be closer to your daughters preschool/day care in case of emergency.

From Baltimore DC is about 2 hours. PA is about 2 hours with light traffic.

You can stay in MD, VA area and your husband can come over the weekends.

sindmani likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

In MD consider Gaithersburg, Rockville.

4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Thanks for response Ramya... it will be really difficult for me to manage work-home-kid togather, if my husband will not stay with us.

looks like we should say 'No' to this opportunity as managing alone in USA will be more difficult as compare to India ( I am already managing alone in India)

Thanks a lot.
    Priyanka

5. ramyaramani

My two cents! Honestly I think this is very good opportunity since both of you are going to be located in the east coast with just 3-3.5 hours driving distance (not a big deal in US). But yes initially it is going to be very tough managing work home kid. But once you get settled into a routine I feel it should be ok.