Need urgent help with gestational diab levels ( in 37th week)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by riyasen2015, May 18, 2015.

1. riyasen2015

riyasen2015 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I was diagnosed of gestational diabetes during 29 week. I wasn’t able to see dietician until 32 week ( that’s when I actually started good diet control). Last 4 weeks I did my best effort to control the numbers but they are still high at times. Dietician is suggesting medicine though she says med has few risk\side effects too. I just had a growth scan done where baby is rt now 6lbs 6oz with 36.4 weeks age. If you see my glucose numbers below, at times they still come high. Doc says it will only get worse if everyday all 4 numbers aren’t good.

I want a healthy baby with natural delivery and also very less risk of me getting diabetes after delivery. What should be my best bet – try more to control the numbers (not sure if its already late as I am in 37th week) or take medicine ?. Also if someone can also tell me Pros and Cons of either option What best I can do to keep levels low ? - I am walking after meals, taking more protein etc

My Glucose Levels are like - 5/8/15 – 92 (Lunch), 123 (Dinner) 5/9/15- 150 (Breakfast),158 (Lunch)
    5/10/15- 71 (Fasting),124 (Breakfast),141 (Lunch),132 (Dinner) 5/11/15- 116 (Lunch),96 (Dinner)
    5/12/15- 131 (Breakfast),126 (Lunch),99 (Dinner)
    5/13/15- 127 (Lunch),133 (Dinner)
    5/14/15- 124 (Breakfast),121 (Lunch),135 (Dinner)
    5/16/15- 71 (Fasting),110 (Breakfast),151 (Lunch),122 (Dinner) 5/17/15- 141 (Breakfast)

My Basic Diet is Breakfast is usually a slice of bread with egg or peanut butter Lunch is usually some vegetable with wheat tortilla, cottage cheese Dinner is usually wheat tortilla with chicken, cottage cheese Snacks is usually few wheat crackers with steamed tofu or nuts

Thanks and best wishes !
    Riya

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear @riyasen2015,

I see your diet is pretty much under control. There is only so much that can be done with diet and exercis. I would suggest you start the medication. The risks to the baby is much higher from uncontrolled diabetes than from side-effects of medication.

Do try to include more fresh veggies in your diet like salads, cucumbers, tomatoes while snacking too.

After your postpartum whenever your body is ready, you can exercise more rigorously and get the numbers under control. Usually the numbers get back in control post delivery, still why take chances? Do aim for a balanced nutritious diet as you will be feeding the baby.

Good luck.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Riya,
    I think your number are high because of wheat products, i Had the same issue during my pregnancy.
    Instead of bread have double fiber bread, Best bet for breakfast would be Vegetable frittata with egg whites

Switch to salads for lunch and dinner, mostly lentil based salads (Black beads, kideny beans and Green lentils).

See my post for detailed diet plan i followed.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...june-2014-blessed-moms-to-38.html#post3215323

4. newmom

newmom New IL'ite

You are doing a great job by including protein with every meal.
    What helped me most was walking 30 minutes after each meal(Dietician advised 10 mins ,but that didn't make much difference ).