1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

need ur help

Discussion in 'Indians in Stamford' started by ambikaclyton, Nov 21, 2014.

1. ambikaclyton

ambikaclyton New IL'ite

Hi all

I am ambika,we live in chennai. My husband got intracompany transfer to connecticut in USA. Myself and my 4 year old son are going to accompany with him in travelling. We are planning to move on 4th december 2014, we have't started anything,we r in a great confusion about where to begin. Since we are transfering with a kid, worried very much about the current weather report there.

The basic thing come in my mind is dress code,because i look very homely and i used to wear only chudidhars and saree,other than that nothing will suit me. I dont know how iam going to withstand there.I dont have any knowledge about dress sense and i dont know what to pack for myself, since both my husband and my are kid are most comfortable with their clothings and apparels

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ambika,

congrats!

Don't worry about dress sense, lot of people wear jeans and shirt or t-shirt with some jacket or sweater and shoes in US. you can't go wrong with these. You can buy fashion apparel slowly.

Weather would be very cold there from mid Dec to March, So take some winter clothes from India, wear winter clothes in the journey also. You can do more shopping in Connecticut.

for u : sweaters, jeans pants(good for cold weather), few kurthis( on top of it u can wear sweater), woolen cap and gloves, a nice warm jacket and shoes

for ur son also same: some pants, jacket, sweater, cap and gloves and shoes.

jeans and kurthi is not a big transition from chudi dhar. So u can start wearing from now at home and for shopping to get used to it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ambikaclyton

ambikaclyton New IL'ite

Thank you so much for your very kind reply. I need to know whether its compulsory to wear shoes. if so what kind of shoes to be chosen.

4. KashmirFlower

at your apartment/house in connecticut heater would running through out the house, in the cars also you will have both AC and heater. so it is fine there.

problem comes on snow fall days, when you need to drive for work or kids school. You need to drive slowly and carefully, that also you guys will get used to it very soon.

5. ambikaclyton

ambikaclyton New IL'ite

Its really nice to get a reply back soon.Thank you. We Planed to start our shopping series by tomorrow,hope will it go smooth and ends good.

6. KashmirFlower

You can wear sandals in summer.

But Without shoes your feet go numb in these winter months. It is a must with thick socks.

you can buy Reebok company shoes.
    Try something like this, it is comfortable:
    Women - CrossFit | Reebok US

Don't get leather shoe for now, u can wear those for work.

Boots also you can buy based on the need later:
    http://www.snapdeal.com/products/wo..._source=earth_womens_footwear&Utm_content=227

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't shop for new stuff in Chennai....nothing will be warm enough. There will be a lot of holiday sales right after you arrive so buy in Boston.

Absolutely don't go barefoot in winter...can damage the kidneys. Wear slippers or slipper socks inside and heavy socks with outdoor shoes or boots when outside.