1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need ur advice!

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by nihasvin, Feb 11, 2010.

1. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    My DD is 17 months.I still breastfeed her. She drinks cow's milk also.I have started giving her all the food stuffs except brinjal.
    I need to breastfeed her for to sleep .Generally she sleeps once in the day time and she sleeps only when i feed her. Same thing for night sleep and she requires 2 or 3 feedings in the night.When we are out and if she s very tired,she sleeps in the shoulder.Otherwise,while travelling in car/flight, i need to feed her for sleep.This happens from her birth.
    Shes so sweet and i could not resist if she asks me to feed her and says bye to everyone else and hold my hands and walk to the bed room and close the door :)
    I have planned to feed her till her 2 years(Thanks to tikka :) ) but her sleeping habit bothers me.
    Kindly advice me whether this is fine? will her sleeping habit changes with time? what else can be done?

Thanks in Advance.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Nihasvin, you made my day. Thank you. Everytime a mom here says she has decided to breastfeed longer, it makes me really, really happy. Do you have specific questions about her sleep let me know?
    This is what I read in various sleep books and my own experience with DS - it may not be true for everyone: Children sleep through the night when they are ready to developmentally.
    A friend of mine had her LO sleep from day 1 of her life for more than 4 hours, another is still getting up to settle her weaned 14 month old two to three times in the night.
    At around 2 years I noticed that change in DS. Without me having to wean him, he started sleeping through the nights. He started doing that when he realised he does not need to nurse to fall asleep and I started using other sleep associaitons with him. We had a bedtime routine that included dinner, bath, moisturising, nursing, brushing teeth and then reading three/four books together. We also started potty training at that point and we took him to frequent bathroom breaks before he slept, so I think at some point he dissociated nursing to sleep with nighttime. That helped big time for me. HTH

3. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Tikka,
    Both me and my DH read her books and play before her sleeping time.But still she demands feeding.Lemme wait for few months.

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Niha,

Till about 18 months if a mother can BF that's an ideal solution. I think even my DD will continue to do so. What I understand is that babies get hooked on to the breast to make sure that mommie is with them through the night. Sometimes its for pacifying sometimes for hunger.
    I think till about three years the baby is not vocal about what the baby would like to do so it will be a matter of force to leave the habit. The more you give in the more bonding you get :)

5. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

hey lee, thanks for ur reply..
    let our bond grows further :)