1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

need to loose weight but suffering from herniated disc problem

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by athimom, Nov 10, 2010.

1. athimom

athimom Silver IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

I'm silent reader of your blogs. It's really excelllent.Thanks alot of inspiring all. While reading your blog, i came to know that you have slipped dics. Can i know how you managed the pain and lost weight becuase i have herniated disc problem in L5-S1 ,L3-L4 and having pain in both buttocks and pain pass to end of the feet. Often right foot swells and cant keep one step. if i stand for longtime for cooking ,my leg starts to swells. cant sit for long time ,buttocks pains.
    Now i'm 71 kgs and 164 cms.i want to reduce my weight atleast 10 to 11 kgs. I cannot go for gym . Can you suggest me how to lose weight.Doc ask me to reduce weight but dont know how to reduce.Please help me.
    Awaiting for you reply.
    Thanks

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aathimom,

Lots of love to you sweetheart. I can understand what you are going through.

How long have you suffered from this condition ???

I suffered from this for 2 years. It was a constant pain for 2 years. My disc was really big and damaged my sciatica nerve. Doctor had put me on high dosage of vitamins to heal the nerve.

I took all precautions like

1. Not bending at all.

2. Using my thighs to bend down to pick up things.

3. I did not use the belt support after a month as it weakens the back.

4. Was regular with my physio exercises.

5. I started with walking 10 minutes daily and gradually increased my walking time.

6. Never sat for more than 30 minutes. Its very necessary to stand up for 4-5 minutes after sitting continuously for half an hour.

7. Please read a lot on this and be aware. I educated my self on sitting correctly, standing correctly and walking correctly.

I will write to you more on this. Have to run now. There is an article that helped me big time, will send you the link. Please write your diet here. We will tackle it.

After my weight loss the pain is gone. Weight loss help for sure.

Lots of love and have faith. This will go away, what you need is patience.

regards

3. athimom

athimom Silver IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Thanks a lot to spend for me . Its not just a word dear.You are inspiration. Im suffering since feb ' 08. For 3 months , I was using belt but not now. I took treatment in India and came back Malaysia since my husband is working here.In Malaysia ,i went to chiropator ,pain reduced a lot but for past 1 year im not going to chiro and pain starts again.

As you said , im also not bending at all,lifting heavy weight, sitting on floor.

There is no diet strictly foolowed by me. Now only im sreiously thinking about weight loss. Usually we go out on weekends and have diiner outside.Usually in home we take dosai/idli/upma at morning ,for lunch rice ,veg side dish/ sambar or any south indian kulambu,curd. Again for dinner ,we take idli/adai/ven pongal/chappati. daily i take an apple or watermelon or any one friut. chicken or fish once/twice in a month.

After reading your blogs, im aware that my family & i are taking major protion of carbohydate . See daily two times we are eating idli/dosai and rice for lunch .full carbohydrate and minimum amount of veg. no soup ,no salad.
    Your blogs opened my eyes. from yesterday onwards, i started to cut half of my takings and adding more veg and fruits.Today morning i started walking for 10 mins that too in home. i cant go outside for walking .Gradually increase my time.
    Shiva i will post about my weight after one month. Now im 71kgs.

Once agin thanks a lot for yr reply.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

athimom,

I am also suffering with spinal injury to the back and the neck..in toto the whole spinal system is a mess..because of this i get low bp frequently to the extent of falling down..

i have reduced weight. i am in a hurry will log how i am faring later..in the meantime you can see my post in the weight loss story itself.

when there is pain, do not exercise, remember that your body is giving you signals that you are doing something wrong..

a little sensible diet,lots of determination, and a little walking can do a lot to push the scale towards -ve rather that ++

all the best..

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Athimom,
    first big hugs to you. I would like add something BE POSITIVE once you are positive and there a positive energies in your body you will heal faster and never say you are sick, you are not sick say i am getting better by the day.
    As shiva said that she was put on high dosage of vitamins ,i would suggest that you have lots of fruits, have sunshine like or be in the sun for at least 10 mins.
    Also i read that you eat lots of carbs, reduce your carbohydrates intake and increase your protien intake, have some protiens everyday, protiens repair your musles and build tissues, also have calcuim rich foods.
    start will little walking and then once you will feel a weight change you will be able to walk more.
    your diet is the most important thing, also have little ghee everyday as ghee acts as a lubricants in your body. Have fish every week, fish is very good for your body and so is chicken you can grill both the fish and chicken.
    love
    alpa:cheers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. kirti251

kirti251 Senior IL'ite

Dear Aathimom,
    Ramdev pranayam is excellent.U can serch Ramdev 7 pranayan & do them correctly step by step daily in early morning or 4 to 5 hrs after food .It fill up energy & repair all body part.Eat more fruits & veges.But Take care in food which not suited to u.I cure my UTI BY THIS PRANAYAM ONLY .( no medicine)

7. athimom

athimom Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shanvy,Alpa ,Kirti251. thanks for your encouragement.
    Will go through your thread shanvy.
    Kirti i heard abt Ramdev Pranayan and wil chech it.

thanks
    Athimom

8. malasethu

malasethu New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

Even I am suffering from similar problem of Athimom -Slip disc L4-L5 and unable to sit and work . Doctors are requesting me to loose weight(Weight-80Kg ) and unable to do any sort of exercise except the one requested by physiotherapist.

Need your help and guidance on loosing weight and to overcome the slip disc problem!