1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need To Convey A Sensitive Issue To My Parents

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by shansanu, Jun 15, 2017.

1. shansanu

shansanu New IL'ite

Hi all, we are four in family. Dad mom me n my younger sister. We all used to sleep n same room until I got married n moved out. Until then I had never found my father's snoring as a trouble.

Once my DD was born I came to my parents place n there the issue started when ever my father snores my DD shakes and get scared at nights. As new mom I found it very tough. I had arguments with my mom she judged am so cruel after baby girl was born... Trust me even she was over protective when I was a kid..

Now, my hubby had relocated to a different place and am back sharing same room with my parents n sister with my DD.. at my place.she is 1 and half year old now. Still she gets terrified each time he snores. I keep my palm over her ears and be it. Some times the noise will be so high. Even I get up shocked. So im imagining how it would be to a baby. This makes me so uncomfortable. Now time is 2:50 am and am sleepless.. with my work tomorrow. Am also scared to confront this to my mom she will act so weird and judge me.

Please don't judge me if you have been in this place or can help me tell my mom without hurting her feelings. Please help.
    P.S we have two bed rooms. One room got AC

2. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Dear Op, here are some suggestions. No judgement here :)
    1. You buy your baby and yourself earplugs. They do exist for babies, yes. They usually look like a hat you wear on your baby. We bought them for our twins when we were building our deck and the kids slept very well during their day naps. Get some for yourself too.
    2. Snoring is actually not healthy and can cause serious health issues including stroke and heart diseases. You should ask your dad to go get it checked not because your baby can't sleep, but because it is dangerous for his health and you love your dad. The doctor can help him to stop snoring. Tell him that you worry about him and you want him to stay well as long as possible. He won't be hurt by this.
    3. I don't know your financial situation, but you can get AC for one of other bedrooms and sleep there. I'm sure your parents help you with baby when you work, so you can help them and yourself out by investing in AC for their place.
    Good luck

sindmani, Sandycandy, Naari and 3 others like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I feel your pain , have heard my dad snoring and it is not pleasant to say the least . Tell your parents that the AC bothers you ( sinuses?) and move to the other room . Get an extra fan and see if you and the kid are comfortable enough .

sivahamy and sindmani like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Your conveying the message politely or rudely is not going to solve the issue of snoring.

Gift your parents another AC/ cooler for the other room and shift there.

Dishaa, sivahamy and sindmani like this.
  5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I used to keep the music or tv on when I was training to put my lil one to sleep as per my mil's advice as it made my dh sleep through any noise (it still does). My kid does too. So you can use this chance to train your lil one like this, if it helps. Kids adapt faster than adults.

Practical solution: Move to the other room, fit Ac or an extra fan.

Can understand your overprotectiveness towards your child, all of us are. But What solution are you expecting by confronting your mom about snoring? Throw your dad out of the room (that's not fair to him)? what can she do about him snoring?

sindmani likes this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Arrange for A/C in the second bedroom & shift your bed there...

sindmani likes this.
  7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

It is extremely important for baby to get proper sleep. I suggest that since you cannot relocate to your hubby's place, move out somewhere nearby to your parent's place and get a maid to help you with baby.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why do you all sleep in the same room?
    It is strange for married women to sleep with parents, that too after having a kid.
    Your kid is young. Do you still breast feed her? If so, would you do that before your entire family at night?
    Isn't it uncomfortable?

Love is different from privacy. We all need privacy.. and your parents too need it.
    I can't imagine how they managed to sleep with 2 daughters in the same room all these while?

Do you have another bed room?
    How often your H visit to your parents' place?
    I am sure he will not sleep together with the lot. If so, during such times, you make the initiative to move to the second room with your stuff, and make it permanent.
    Make this as your H's idea..
    As someone suggested, you can fix AC or cooler to the room at the prefix of your H's comforts.
    When he is not around, you may invite your sister to move on with you.
    This way, you can give some privacy to your parents too.

More so, snooring is an health issue and it needs medical attention. But I doubt its seriousness.
    My H snores loudly. The first time when I slept with him, I could not sleep at all.
    It took me sometimes to get used to his snoring sounds at nights.

My son grew up without dad till he turned 9 months. So when he slept with dad for the first time, he could not handle it. Like your kid, he too woke up, cried and got scared at nights.
    But after a while, say 1 month or so he got used to this sound.
    Like you, I could not ask my H to sleep outside for this weakness right?

My DD hears this snoring from the day 1, and she is perfectly fine with this.

I don't know why you are awake, since you are pretty much familiar to this snoring sound since birth?
    And also I am unable to understand why your little girl is unable to get used to this sound even after sleeping in the same room for a while?

Does she has any sleeping disorder? Gas, or phlegm to disturb her sleep?

You can't speak this with parents without hurting them.
    So, better to move out to a diff room peacefully (and wait for the right time) or buy ear plugs

NeetaR and sivahamy like this.
  9. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Shansanu,

I can understand your problem as even my dad snore very loudly. As suggested by the members you can go for ear plugs or shift to the other room.

If possible you can request your dad to sleep side ways (left side), studies state its beneficial to sleep on your left side.

With warm regards,

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

rent a CPAP machine. That would quiet the loudest snorer.

Setting the snoring problem aside, I found the following quite attention-grabbing:
    "Hi all, we are four in family. Dad mom me n my younger sister. We all used to sleep n same room until I got married n moved out. Until then I had never found my father's snoring as a trouble."
    Shouldn't one be concerned with a daddy, a few feet away getting amorous with his wife, with daughters who could be awake ? On this consideration, snoring may be a safe (or all-clear) signal he puts out, so that the daughters may rest easy at night.