1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Tips To Grow Aloe Vera

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by virtualkv2020, Jan 9, 2019.

1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends...
    I have a small Aloe Vera (aloe vera barbadensis miller) plant in my backyard which tends to wither and doesn’t grow well.Please pass some tips to grow these at home.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aloe plants need well draining soil, lots of sun and minimal watering. They are fairly hardy, mine survive outdoors in zone 9a winters. A small or weak plant might not tolerate winter temperatures very well. If you live in an area with severe winters (temperatures regularly below freezing) you should move your aloe indoors, or protect it with a frost cover. Check the soil around your aloe plant. It should dry out completely between waterings. They do best in dry, well draining soil. If the plant is small you could repot it using a potting mix for cacti and citrus plants. Put pebbles or rocks at the bottom of the pot to ensure good drainage. Keep it in bright direct sunlight and water once a week in summer and once in 2-3 weeks in winter. As long as they are not being overwatered they are low maintenance plants. I ignore mine for months and they can't stop multiplying!

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  3. virtualkv2020

Thanks for the useful tips Gauri. :)

4. BoysMom

BoysMom Bronze IL'ite

I have mine indoors close to the window and I water when the soil is dry. Very easy to maintain, move it indoors, it would thrive.

5. virtualkv2020

Thanks for your tip.