Need Tips For Fresh Coconut

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Neelaa, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies, l am in uk now. Few Supermarkets here sell coconut in packs. Three or four coconut in a pack. This is much cheaper than buying in one piece rate. I bought this pack last time. First week, broke one coconut, used half shell, on the third day other half got rotten. I kept the broken piece inside the fridge, still got spoiled. And, two coconuts from the pack were rotten. Ladies, share your tips to keep coconut fresh to use. Is there any time limit to use the broken coconut.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

You can grate all the coconuts and put it in a freezer. Tat way it stores longer.Whenever you need it take the required portion,thaw it and then use it.

I buy frozen grated coconut mostly. Check if such an option is available. Tats hassle free

Neelaa and senorita2019 like this.
  3. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

I cut coconut into little pieces and put in ziplocs and freeze them. Each time I am making chutney or kuruma, I defrost one ziploc bag and grind the coconut and use. It is fresh for months.

Neelaa, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  4. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

Earlier i used to grate the entire coconut and store in a airtight plastic container and keep it in the freezer compartment. It will not spoil for more than 3 months and i will take according to my requirement for cooking. But I cant extract milk. So now a days instead of grating, i am taking out the kernel from the shell approx to 2 or 3 inches long and store it in the airtight container and keeping it in the freezer. Whenever i need it,, 10 minutess before i will drop the required amount of pieces, put it in the cup and pour the water till the pieces are immersed . By doing this way, u can even extract milk by cutting them into pieces , add water and putting it in the mixie.

Neelaa likes this.
  5. BoysMom

BoysMom Bronze IL'ite

I put the unbroken coconut outside for weeks together.

I shake and check the coconut for water inside to know the quality of the coconut and also ensure three eyes of the coconut is not wet while buying.

Once broken , I grate the whole thing and would stay fresh in the fridge for 4 days. Would store the excess in the freezer.

Whatever way you choose to store, good to get the coconut out of the shell once broken.

Neelaa likes this.
  6. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your wonderfull tips. i will cut coconut in small pieces and store in freezer until next use. Thank you all once again.

7. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I have tried this before but never liked the taste of whatever I make with frozen coconut. How do you thaw it before cooking? Any tips?

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I just defrost it in microwave for 30s - 60s or sometimes keep the grated coconut outside may be 30 min before I cook something. I never felt the taste varies much.

Initially I used to buy coconuts but sometimes after breaking the coconut i used to get disappointed seeing its already spoilt. So it used to simply get wasted. So from them in started getting frozen grated coconuts from Indian store.

Which brand did you use? I felt Deep brand and Sumeru are good compared to others.

9. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot @shravs3. I cant remember the brand I got, but I'll try the ones you have mentioned.

shravs3 likes this.