1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need tips for building immunity for 1 year old

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by iamia, Jan 2, 2014.

1. iamia

iamia New IL'ite

My 1 year old son seems to be down with cold all the time. The cold leads to congestion and asthma or ear infections. It started when he started going to daycare and now he seems to be sick every week. It doesn't help that we live in Chicago where the weather is extreme. I am starting to get concerned about the antibiotics that he has been taking and am hoping that they do not have any adverse effects.
    I was hoping to learn some Indian remedies to prevent recurring colds or something to build immunity in general. Or if there are tips for making the cold disappear faster, that will help too.
    Thank you,
    Mia

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

iamia, Sorry to hear that your kid is falling sick often. But to tell you the truth, its like dejavu to me when I am reading your post. My daughter joined daycare when at 13 months and it was on Jan 02, 2013...exactly an year ago.
    Just like you, I live in a very cold country (as of now its -30 D C outside with wind chill).

Let me assure you, it will get better. He will be sick for the first 6 months or so but he is actually building immunity when he is falling sick. Its been an year and I can still say mine falls sick but not that often.

What i noticed with my daughter is, if I am able to control cold before it progresses to cough, the ear infection and fever stay at bay. The challenge was controlling the cold. I have learned this through experience. If it indeed is an infection, there is no more we can do but put them back on antibiotics and load them on liquids like water.

Some preventives you can do:
    1. give her vitamin C enriched foods.
    2. Sterilize the bottles often, if she is bottle fed.
    3. Some home remides for cold/cough: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/16330-cough-and-cold-remedies.html

2 people like this.
  3. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhii,

Thanks for suggesting the preventive ways ... Could you please also mention how do you control the cold before it progresses to cough?